Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

So what are some examples of Illyana's magical abilities on earth, beyond stepping disc teleportation?

I started imagining a magical x-men team with Richtor becoming a mage, but I'm not sure what Magik is capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by captain Qball View Post
    So what are some examples of Illyana's magical abilities on earth, beyond stepping disc teleportation?

I started imagining a magical x-men team with Richtor becoming a mage, but I'm not sure what Magik is capable of.
    invsisbility spell to mask her and other's presence
    energy manipulation spell
    energy blasts
    energy shields
    astral projection
    translation spell to speak and understand other languages
    can conjure up demons

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by captain Qball View Post

Right now she can cast most spells that Dr. Strange can.

Originally her magical powers were limited on Earth, but she still cast many spells.

In New Mutants #14 in 1984 she cast energy blasts which hurt S'ym, mystic chains, and a spell that rewrote Stevie Hunter's memories. The next issue she cast an astral projection so she could see what was going on in another state. In the demon bear saga she cast magical shields around Dani formed from her own life force. In X-Infernus she cast a healing spell on earth, and in AvX she cast an illusion on earth that made her look like Dr. Strange, After that she started training with Dr. Strange and became able to cast many more spells on earth. She can understand other languages, cloak entire groups, create clothes out of thin air, ect.

Most of the time she uses her sword instead of spells, but that's more a matter of style as opposed to a reflection of her abilities, like how she prefers to use her stepping disks instead of the teleportation spell she taught Pixie. She learned hundreds, if not thousands of spells in Limbo, and and has learned many more through Dr. Strange.

She did a bit of magic in New Mutants: Dead Souls, but it was more "mundane" stuff, i suppose.
    Like returning a ring to a witch that was terrorizing a town with zombies because her ring was stolen.
    Or dealing with Shan's brother's magical machinations.

I wonder if this is still the most "flashy" magical thing she's done:

Attachment 104274
    This is uncanny x-men 19, where their mutant powers were not working, so Magik did like a shield spell, this fire-dragon spell(they all had fancy spell names).
    Last edited by lunarmagik; 01-05-2021 at 12:17 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Talking about power, in theory Illyana should be able to defeat any mutant with ease. She has a spell that literally turns off mutant powers. Belasco used it on her in Limbo and it took her creating the soul sword to break it. In canon she used it on Rahne while attempting to free her and Roberto from Cloak and Dagger's powers. And in X-Men Forever she used that spell to keep Kitty from phasing and force Piotr to revert to human form while on earth. Any mutant who challenges her, she should be able to wave her hand and render them powerless. I used it in the latest chapter I wrote and it'll be an important plot point later on in the story.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 01-05-2021 at 12:28 PM.

Did someone say Doug x Illyana???

I was a MASSIVE #RAMSPUTIN supporter once upon a time. Made a 4(?) page comic supporting its fruition.

https://dailydamnation.tumblr.com/po...s-writer-niels

Alas, these days I lean toward the belief that Illyana works better as Asexual, and I am very VERY intrigued by Doug's great big wife.

Very good art!

Yeah, I wonder if it will be Hickman who explores DougBei relationship.

I think Illyana can work as a lesbian or as bi/pan with a preference for women, but I can see her as asexual. Her closest relationships tend to be with women(kitty, dani), and there are writers who tend to see her as queer, but no one has done anything with it so, shrugs

Extraordinary Member

In the last year she seems to be pansexual with her asking aliens if they want to make out and her attraction to Nightcrawler while being the zombie queen.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    In the last year she seems to be pansexual with her asking aliens if they want to make out and her attraction to Nightcrawler while being the zombie queen.
    I may be reaching here but I feel like this shift is connected to her aesthetic.
    She certainly implied "boy crazy" tendencies in the early 80's but...I dunno. I'm personally not into "Fight or F**k" Illyana.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I may be reaching here but I feel like this shift is connected to her aesthetic.
    She certainly implied "boy crazy" tendencies in the early 80's but...I dunno. I'm personally not into "Fight or F**k" Illyana.
    Eh, to me it just seems like dumb jokes that Hickman thought were funny and playful.

Also, a lot of "implied" boy craziness but she never did anything with a boy. And she has never shown real interest for a dude or has been close to one(beyond her sibling like relationship with most of the new mutants).

Meanwhile, there are some things that kind of hint a romantic interest from her to Kitty(stopping her wedding with very flimsy excuses, pinning her down, and playing a mariachi song that could have romantic undertones)...... BUT who knows, maybe they are just very good gal pals as it's been since forever, like no matter how I read it I'm sure there are others who read it differently at the end of the day.
    Last edited by lunarmagik; 01-05-2021 at 01:09 PM.

Extraordinary Member

For me the question is what a specific relationship would add. The Leah thing from Secret Wars is exactly what I don't want, pure fan-service that does nothing than say 'look at this!'

Having her be forced into it by Saturnyne appeals to me because in my view, whatever her orientation, Illyana would never in a million years admit her feelings for someone, and this would mean throwing her into a situation she is not prepared for and forcing her to face a different kind of fear. Facing death is one thing, but marriage and commitment?

As for Kitty, I see her and Illyana as that 'deeper than friends or family' bond you get from Frodo and Sam in Lord of the Rings or Picard and Guinan on TNG. Even if they are both completely heterosexual and fall in love with different men, their greatest love will always be for each other, the same way Colossus will always love Illyana more than anyone else despite not being in love with her.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 01-05-2021 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    For me the question is what a specific relationship would add. The Leah thing from Secret Wars is exactly what I don't want, pure fan-service that does nothing than say 'look at this!'

Having her be forced into it by Saturnyne appeals to me because in my view, whatever her orientation, Illyana would never in a million years admit her feelings for someone, and this would mean throwing her into a situation she is not prepared for and forcing her to face a different kind of fear. Facing death is one thing, but marriage and commitment?
    The thing is if she was forced to marry someone she doesn't like, I feel like it would be like the Hela and Karnilla thing were neither of them really care about each other, but they are wives so they are just fulfilling a deal.

edit: also, I personally don't care if the siege secret wars thing was fan service-y or not, considering it was not the focus of the story.
    Last edited by lunarmagik; 01-05-2021 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lunarmagik View Post
    Eh, to me it just seems like dumb jokes that Hickman thought were funny and playful.

Also, a lot of "implied" boy craziness but she never did anything with a boy. And she has never shown real interest for a dude or has been close to one(beyond her sibling like relationship with most of the new mutants).
    Well she did flirt & dance with boys, though it never seemed to go anywhere. I guess she just liked the attention. Quite unlike Kitty who was outwards a prude but went from one crush to another. Same for Doug, really.

Post-comeback Illyana shot down horny guys with "I would hurt you" instead of "I am not into men". Although flippant, I believe she told the truth there; she views herself too messed up to have a real relationship. Especially as it has been implied we haven't seen all the horrible things what happened to her in Limbo.

Also, if she just wants sex, well, she is a ruler of a demonic dimension where she can summon up pretty much whatever the heck she wants...

Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Well she did flirt & dance with boys, though it never seemed to go anywhere. I guess she just liked the attention. Quite unlike Kitty who was outwards a prude but went from one crush to another. Same for Doug, really.

Post-comeback Illyana shot down horny guys with "I would hurt you" instead of "I am not into men". Although flippant, I believe she told the truth there; she views herself too messed up to have a real relationship. Especially as it has been implied we haven't seen all the horrible things what happened to her in Limbo.

Also, if she just wants sex, well, she is a ruler of a demonic dimension where she can summon up pretty much whatever the heck she wants...
    That's kind of my point. It's like she's doing the stuff, apparently, but she never commits. I mean even if she did, a lot of gay people think they like people of the opposite gender when they are younger(like Bobby).

I suppose we would need to see her responding to a woman flirting with her. Also, i don't think you need to disclose your sexuality everyone someone flirts at you, shutting them down is more than enough.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post

Her response is perfect for her character. She is at her core, an abuse victim whose biggest fear is becoming like her abuser, a fear which has come true several times, resulting in her doing to Pixie and Colossus what was done to her, albeit on a lesser scale. After beating Belasco but before returning to earth, one of the first things she thinks is that she's more like Belasco than Ororo. In the issue where she joins the New Mutants we see that on multiple occasions she's considered running away from the X-Men so as not to hurt them. The What If Magik became Sorcerer Supreme one-shot seems to depict her doing just that, and she suffers a breakdown and nearly kills herself when she thinks she's acted like her old master. In Hellbound she asks Pixie to kill her because she hates that she did the same thing Belasco did. That's why she's afraid of getting close to people. She's afraid of getting hurt again and of hurting them the same way she was hurt. Trying to read something else into her shooting people down is missing the point of the character,