Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Despite everything I say about Namor/Sue and my infatuation with that,

Sue's protective determination over her children is one of my favorite expressions of her personality.

It is a classic trope, but if you live long enough you know parents like this.
    At any rate, I agree with you over all, so much Crimz with so much of your advocacy of Sue.
    If Sue is the archetype, the default model of original female characters for Marvel.
    She has so come a long way and she still can go farther.
    Sue has been a regent for the Old Atlantis and must have great diplomatic skills.

Maybe rather than giving her more 'earth-ian' skills and experiences, Sue should be tapped

for the ongoing alliances and merges writ large. She should be on a team of diplomats working on the Skrull/Kree Empire, knowing so many of the once and present key players or resonances and relationships.

Sue brings a lot to the table, everywhere.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Fantastic Four #35 variant by Betsy Cola

I'm in love with this cover and will make it a poster of Marvel isn't going to.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Amazing Member

I know what I would have done with Sue in this run. I'd have her discover something about Skye that makes her suspicious that Skye is playing the long game. And, no, it's not just because I don't like Skye. I think it would be a better story, give Sue something to do and a way to show her smarts, and would also fix the stalking problem that Slott saddled her with.

Sue has always been overprotective of her brother, because she raised him and probably still thinks of him as one of her kids, but to follow him around just to watch and listen to what he and Skye are doing, just makes her look mentally unstable. But if she was suspicious of Skye for some reason and felt Johnny was in some kind of danger, her spying would make a lot more sense.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I'm in love with this cover and will make it a poster of Marvel isn't going to.
    Agreed, I just wished for her Byrne era negative uniform she had that hairdo that was chosen in a new hairdo for Sue contest.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by cmore View Post
    I know what I would have done with Sue in this run. I'd have her discover something about Skye that makes her suspicious that Skye is playing the long game. And, no, it's not just because I don't like Skye. I think it would be a better story, give Sue something to do and a way to show her smarts, and would also fix the stalking problem that Slott saddled her with.

Sue has always been overprotective of her brother, because she raised him and probably still thinks of him as one of her kids, but to follow him around just to watch and listen to what he and Skye are doing, just makes her look mentally unstable. But if she was suspicious of Skye for some reason and felt Johnny was in some kind of danger, her spying would make a lot more sense.
    I agree Sue needs something to show she's capable in other areas than just her powers. A suspicion about Sky would certainly mean she had some detective skills. General question: Have any of the FF shown any detective ability? Sure, Reed's a scientific wiz, but I'm not sure that translates to detective skills. Anyway, it would make Sue look better. However, I don't think the stalking is as bad as you say. It's not a good development and a rather simplistic plot device, but Johnny's ex-wife is a Skrull spy. And it doesn't make her look unstable. helicopter parenting maybe, but and annoying. But not unstable.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Agreed, I just wished for her Byrne era negative uniform she had that hairdo that was chosen in a new hairdo for Sue contest.
    The short hair? If so, then I agree that would have been preferable. But I do like the take on the mullet, the artist did it in a way that it's mullet-like but not ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I agree Sue needs something to show she's capable in other areas than just her powers. A suspicion about Sky would certainly mean she had some detective skills. General question: Have any of the FF shown any detective ability? Sure, Reed's a scientific wiz, but I'm not sure that translates to detective skills. Anyway, it would make Sue look better. However, I don't think the stalking is as bad as you say. It's not a good development and a rather simplistic plot device, but Johnny's ex-wife is a Skrull spy. And it doesn't make her look unstable. helicopter parenting maybe, but and annoying. But not unstable.
    The thing is I don't remember seeing Sue ever be overprotective of Johnny. The only consistent interactions they have is when he messes up and she thinks it's time for him to grow up. I think Sue is very lax when it comes to Johnny outside of his maturity. I've noticed that even when he's in danger her response is more reserved than it should be for her brother.

Amazing Member

I don't think Sue's stalking had anything to do with Lyja. When Johnny caught her spying on him, she pretty much confessed that she'd been doing this with all his girlfriends, even Dorrie.

Now that I think back on earlier times I have to agree that Sue has not been overprotective in the past and I'm happy to walk that back, but in this instance she certainly seems to be. Spying on Johnny when he was a teenager is still creepy, but easier to make sense of. Spying on him as a grown man needs a better excuse than just thinking he still needs looking after, otherwise it does make her look overprotective. She still has two minor children. Is she going to do the same to them when they start dating?

I know this is an appreciation thread, so don't want to come down too hard on the character. It's because I love Sue that I'm so disappointed that this writer couldn't think of anything better to do with the character than suddenly make her a stalker, and I'm go to try to pretend it didn't happen. I just hope that she's treated better going forward.

FF Life Story #3 preview.
    https://aiptcomics.com/2021/08/05/ex...-life-story-3/
    spoilers:
    Sue wants a divorce.
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

E8MTgMhUYAEqAVt.jpg
    Hello wallpaper!
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

We Think Sue's Super Society
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Dark Ages 01 hit yesterday. Sue was part of the strike force that went to deal with the Undoer or whatever the name is.

I was happy she survived and I hope Tom Taylor has big role for her.

I hope so too!

Spectacular Member markhyperion's Avatar

I'm guessing from the way she was specifically spared by Strange she will play a part. Though that girl with the "4" in other previews of this and later issues is likely Val

Plus it appears Reed is a 4 horsemen of Pocalypse which is interesting

Quote Originally Posted by markhyperion View Post
    I'm guessing from the way she was specifically spared by Strange she will play a part. Though that girl with the "4" in other previews of this and later issues is likely Val

Plus it appears Reed is a 4 horsemen of Pocalypse which is interesting
    She is rocking Sue's power. So unless Val's been a later bloomer than Franklin, I'm still betting on she's Sue.