Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Variant cover for Fantastic Four#33 by Peach Momoko

https://twitter.com/peachmomoko60/st...35453786775555
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Variant cover for Fantastic Four#33 by Peach Momoko

https://twitter.com/peachmomoko60/st...35453786775555
    Nice, but makes Sue look waif like or 'emo' like.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Yeah, I noticed that too.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

That's the artists style. I like the interpretation.

I hope Sue gets a push from Marvel akin to what Carol Danvers had. I know Slott isn't really interested in the character but I hope Marvel has more planned for outside of the Fantastic Four book.

I hope Sue gets a push from Marvel akin to what Carol Danvers had. I know Slott isn't really interested in the character but I hope Marvel has more planned for outside of the Fantastic Four book.
    Any particular reason you say / hope that?

I'm always for Sue being far more than her partners, to some degree.

I see Sue appears occasionally in other 'teams'.

After seeing Luna talking to Johnny in the most recent FF,

I'd like to see the team, or just Sue

visit with the Inhumans.

Maybe Sue could get some time with Crystal and Luna.

*** I was slightly interested in the recent blurb about Xmen and not wanting pre-cogs to be on the island.

Hmmmmm, I want Luna there, now!
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Any particular reason you say / hope that?

I'm always for Sue being far more than her partners, to some degree.

I see Sue appears occasionally in other 'teams'.

After seeing Luna talking to Johnny in the most recent FF,

I'd like to see the team, or just Sue

visit with the Inhumans.

Maybe Sue could get some time with Crystal and Luna.

*** I was slightly interested in the recent blurb about Xmen and not wanting pre-cogs to be on the island.

Hmmmmm, I want Luna there, now!
    Because Sue's biggest issue is her lack of development and I believe that her only being on the Fantastic Four is a part of the problem. Writers tend to fall back on usual tropes and stories for Sue and unfortunately hers tends to be playing back-up for the others. Sue getting her own story/arc is sadly rare in the team book.

Her being a part of other books and getting her own can lead growth by having her in a new environment with a cast of characters that aren't the personalities she's used to. Or with the solo, have the focus be on her and her development as a character. That growth would benefit the character and the team as it should effect the main book too.

The reason why I want it to be similar to Carols is that I genuinely believe Sue could be a bigger character and have a bigger presence in the MU. All she needs is a push.

Because Sue's biggest issue is her lack of development and I believe that her only being on the Fantastic Four is a part of the problem. Writers tend to fall back on usual tropes and stories for Sue and unfortunately hers tends to be playing back-up for the others. Sue getting her own story/arc is sadly rare in the team book.

Her being a part of other books and getting her own can lead growth by having her in a new environment with a cast of characters that aren't the personalities she's used to. Or with the solo, have the focus be on her and her development as a character. That growth would benefit the character and the team as it should effect the main book too.

The reason why I want it to be similar to Carols is that I genuinely believe Sue could be a bigger character and have a bigger presence in the MU. All she needs is a push.
    Johnny and Ben have appeared in loads of non Fanastic Four material...and have less flexible/less interesting powers. So not using Sue in a similar way seems to display a bias...

But having said that I don’t think the greater exposure has really added much at all to Johnny or Ben’s character development.

We are supposed to believe that Ben...holder of several degrees and the best friend of universes most intelligent man has never worked out a more successful fight strategy than yelling “it’s cloberring time”, charging in against impossible odds...and losing 5 minutes later.

And that Johnny...who in the original Kirby/ Lee run went to university determined to make Ben, Sue and Reed proud of him is really a bit of a waster who never progresses.

The most recent Fantastic Four material I read was the Hickman run. All the ingredients for developing Sue (and Ben and Johnny) were there...no need for appearances in the Avengers or X-Men to do it. The three could have led parts of the Future Foundation...and we could have seem that they have skills and determination of their own, that Reed is not the only one with initiative.

Certainly I’d sooner see a Sue and the Future Foundation series more than Sue appearing regularly as an Avenger.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Johnny and Ben have appeared in loads of non Fanastic Four material...and have less flexible/less interesting powers. So not using Sue in a similar way seems to display a bias...

But having said that I don’t think the greater exposure has really added much at all to Johnny or Ben’s character development.

We are supposed to believe that Ben...holder of several degrees and the best friend of universes most intelligent man has never worked out a more successful fight strategy than yelling “it’s cloberring time”, charging in against impossible odds...and losing 5 minutes later.

And that Johnny...who in the original Kirby/ Lee run went to university determined to make Ben, Sue and Reed proud of him is really a bit of a waster who never progresses.

The most recent Fantastic Four material I read was the Hickman run. All the ingredients for developing Sue (and Ben and Johnny) were there...no need for appearances in the Avengers or X-Men to do it. The three could have led parts of the Future Foundation...and we could have seem that they have skills and determination of their own, that Reed is not the only one with initiative.

Certainly I’d sooner see a Sue and the Future Foundation series more than Sue appearing regularly as an Avenger.
    I don't want her joining the Avengers because I like the main three teams (FF, Avengers, X-Men) to stay separate somewhat. Making everyone from these teams an Avenger dilutes their own identity a bit and can make them seem more like offshoots of the Avengers.

Johnny and Ben's books weren't mainly to develop them, it was to have typical superhero stuff with them and I think a Sue solo should have developing her as an individual as it's aim. The positive in Ben and Johnny appearing in many books outside FF is that their personalities became more defined. I can predict how Ben interacting with Miles Morales would go or how Johnny would bounce off Moon Knight. Sadly, Sue's personality is not very well defined and that's not going to change with her only interacting with the same characters she always does. On the FF her default is 'wife/mother' and it would be beneficial to see her what she's like away from that.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post

I agree with a lot of this. In most ways, they have become/enact as archetypes and that seems to limit some growth even when appearing in other books. I never thought about Ben and "clobbering time", but that face really rings a bell to labor that thought even more.

I didn't mind Sue's time on the Avengers, just too short. I like when Sue or anyone might show up as a covert, ace in the pocket, but it should be worth the surprise.
    ~ Oberon ~

How dead this thread is compared to previous years shows how ignored she is...

Loved this moment in FF: Life Story and would like to see Sue do more things to try and improve society.

What Russell said about the team in an interview was great, especially when it comes to what Sue wants to achieve:

"Reed wants to save the world. Sue wants to change the world. Johnny just wants to have a good time. And Ben wants the love that he now feels will forever be denied to him."
    http://www.freaksugar.com/mark-russe...ur-life-story/

So much of the FF is focused on Reed and his wants that the others are often neglected unfortunately, Sue especially. Having this as the base of her wants going forward would be really beneficial for her characterization. Just pair that with a field of expertise that complements the character and she'd be in a great position for future writers to really build on the character and have her be more complex. That should be the main goal for Sue right now, making the character more complex and interesting in a way that future writers can also build on.
    Last edited by Crimz; 06-03-2021 at 02:25 AM.

I was looking to get some Invisible Woman art commissioned because I need some new stuff of Sue and it made me wonder, who are Sue’s friends? I want She-Hulk to be her bestie but they haven’t interacted in awhile. Who are her friends and who would you like her to be friends with?

Quote Originally Posted by UncannyLZ View Post
    I was looking to get some Invisible Woman art commissioned because I need some new stuff of Sue and it made me wonder, who are Sue’s friends? I want She-Hulk to be her bestie but they haven’t interacted in awhile. Who are her friends and who would you like her to be friends with?
    Who IS? is something that gets very little page time. Looking at Sue, I'd imagine her and Janet Van Dyne to have an awful lot in common with personal growth from being "the girl" on a team to being a potent and significant member. I can see Jan thinking Sue's a bit uptight and rigid at times, but knowing there are times she's very capable of letting her hair down. She Hulk, sure, there's a good possible match there. Jenn is smart, outgoing, and funny. She'd certainly draw Sue's fun side out.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by UncannyLZ View Post
    She doesn't really have many friends unfortunately and doesn't even have a best friend. Those who are her friends are usually more friends of the team: She-Hulk, Medusa, Janet, and Storm.

As for who I want to see her be friends with:

Monica Rambeau - I think they would get along well and thier powers compliment each other well if they team up.

Emma Frost - I love their shady exchanges and them being frenemies would lead to more fun exchanges.

Nightcrawler - I just like him lol

Rocket and Groot - their personalities are very different that it would be interesting to have them bounce off each other

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I liked Susan's scenes with Alicia in Morrison's Fantastic Four 1234 and these days she's part of the family.

She was hanging around with Janet in John Byrne's run. I'd like to see more of this but I don't even know where Jan is these days since Nadia Pym is using the Wasp mantle. And I hate what's been done with She-Hulk these past few years. I want her old personality to return.