Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I just reread Chip Z's Invaders and my thought is....I wish we had had more Spitfire and gotten some Union Jack.
    I realize those 12 issues were about establishing some more backstory on Namor's past just wish we had more Invaders.
    I also really don't like the new body for Jim, waiting for that to be fixed somewhere else.

We need a new Invaders project/book.
    Heck yes! I wish Marvel would TRY an Invaders WWII book, instead of trying to tie into the modern MU and just using flashbacks.

As a Namor fan, I enjoyed Zdarsky's, even though I had a few problems with his changes. That said, I would have loved to see Union Jack and Spitfire get more than cameos. And I think Torch and Toro got the short end of the stick also. And yes. Get rid of that Iron Man body.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Looking at the group shots and I notice a distinct lack of love for Toro.

Guy really got the short end of the stick after Bucky brought him back from the dead.
    Well, he did get a little bit of exposure with the Inhumans, but I didn't care for that. When they brought Toro back young, I think they lost some interesting backstory, like being the oldest of the Invaders, now. Well, except for Spitfire. Of course, they didn't want someone who was in danger of dying of old age, so I guess I understand why they did that. Though that does ignore some of his post FF #1 appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Well, I believe Toro was 5'2" as a teenager and only 5'8" as an adult. So yeah, more on the short end of things.
    Groaaaan!

oh...you got jokes...but...they are funny....

Bur really I am talking about how he got changed from mutant to inhuman.

There was The Torch series from 2016 when the Thinker...after studying Toro's genetics to understand him better...flat out confirms he is a mutant. But then Marvel decides to push the Inhumans and all of a sudden he was an inhuman.
    Sorry....could not resist. I will behave now.

I always thought Toro was a mutant. I had not heard about the Thinker checking him out nor Marvel making him an Inhuman. I do not like that. Toro will always be a mutant to me.

And I like how he was a mutant, yet not a well-known one on everybody's list of mutants.
    I think Robinson thought making Toro an Inhuman would give him ties and story with more popular characters, at the time. Also, he wanted to distinguish between the powers of Hammond and Johnny Storm -- a problem that has plagued the Torches, IMO.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Well, he did get a little bit of exposure with the Inhumans, but I didn't care for that. When they brought Toro back young, I think they lost some interesting backstory, like being the oldest of the Invaders, now. Well, except for Spitfire. Of course, they didn't want someone who was in danger of dying of old age, so I guess I understand why they did that. Though that does ignore some of his post FF #1 appearances.

Groaaaan!

I think Robinson thought making Toro an Inhuman would give him ties and story with more popular characters, at the time. Also, he wanted to distinguish between the powers of Hammond and Johnny Storm -- a problem that has plagued the Torches, IMO.
    Did Robinson distinguish between all of the torches flame powers? I believe they were all pretty much the same, with Johnny being the most powerful I think (from old Handbook), then Jim and then Toro. But Jim has heightened fighting and strength being an android and with some increased durability. Also, I believe the Toro write-up was for during the war where he was a teenager.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Did Robinson distinguish between all of the torches flame powers? I believe they were all pretty much the same, with Johnny being the most powerful I think (from old Handbook), then Jim and then Toro. But Jim has heightened fighting and strength being an android and with some increased durability. Also, I believe the Toro write-up was for during the war where he was a teenager.
    Originally they all did, IIRC.

However, Robinson did change Toro's powers when he made him an Inhuman, i.e. got hit by the Terrigen Cloud. And his appearance was changed.

After suffering from Terrigenesis, it was revealed Toro has the ability to subconsciously create chemical and elemental transformations in his body and the air next to him.

Oh, coolness. According to the Marvel Database, a long time ago, Roger Stern was the first to suggest Toro was an Inhuman.

Roger Stern (who was undoubtful that others had their own explanations) wanted Toro and his parents to be "secret emissaries of the Inhumans, sent out into the world on a inspection trip". Eventually becoming a Marvel writer, he couldn't go that way, as Roy Thomas made Toro a mutant in Invaders #22 (November, 1977). Considering it a "reasonable enough origin", that eliminated for Stern the need of implementing his idea.[92]
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Thoma...16)#Inhumanity

Robinson also either gave, or expanded on, Hammond's ability of Radiation Generation -- he can make his flames radioactive, or just radiate. to differentiate between him and Johnny Storm.

Extraordinary Member

However, Robinson did change Toro's powers when he made him an Inhuman, i.e. got hit by the Terrigen Cloud. And his appearance was changed.

Oh, coolness. According to the Marvel Database, a long time ago, Roger Stern was the first to suggest Toro was an Inhuman.

Robinson also either gave, or expanded on, Hammond's ability of Radiation Generation -- he can make his flames radioactive, or just radiate. to differentiate between him and Johnny Storm.
    While all 3 pretty much had the same power with minor differences...they were differentiated by source...Android, Mutant, Cosmic Rays....and my real issue is that Torch limited series where the Thinker...who was studying his genetics and is not a moron...said that Toro was a mutant. I would think he would know the difference between mutant and inhuman genes.

That was also an issue I had with the Inhuman push...someone like Donald Gill/Blizzard getting terrigened and developing powers I am good with....but to completely redefine an established character was just nonsensical to me.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 02-04-2021 at 05:31 PM.

While all 3 pretty much had the same power with minor differences...they were differentiated by source...Android, Mutant, Cosmic Rays....and my real issue is that Torch limited series where the Thinker...who was studying his genetics and is not a moron...said that Toro was a mutant. I would think he would know the difference between mutant and inhuman genes.

That was also an issue I had with the Inhuman push...someone like Donald Gill/Blizzard getting terrigened and developing powers I am good with....but to completely redefine an established character was just nonsensical to me.
    I agree with you. The Mad Thinker SHOULD know. I guess the question is can there be mutant Inhumans??? It would have been so much simpler to just leave Toro a mutant.

The radiation thing makes sense----if I remember correctly, radiation is what "killed" Jim in the 1950's and put him out of commission in the dessert. That radiation could have altered his functioning....

Yes, I agree. And while "The Mad" Thinker of 2021 is hardly seen, years ago in the '60's and '70's, he was a much more prominent character of great mental ability, calculation and research. He would know the difference as you mention.

However, today, the entire Marvel Universe seems to be turning upside-down, downside-up, inside-out and outside-in too, lol!

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Extraordinary Member

Yes, I agree. And while "The Mad" Thinker of 2021 is hardly seen, years ago in the '60's and '70's, he was a much more prominent character of great mental ability, calculation and research. He would know the difference as you mention.

However, today, the entire Marvel Universe seems to be turning upside-down, downside-up, inside-out and outside-in too, lol!
    It comes down to the fact that writers just do whatever they want and don't respect what came before.

Adam Hughes is doing a 9 page story in Marvel #5 tomorrow on Nick Fury depicting his final soliloquy at the end of the Second World War.

I don't think the Invaders will play a big role, but at least they got a panel or page judging by the art Hughes is selling from the story.

https://twitter.com/AH_AdamHughes/st...124534785?s=20

I don't think the Invaders will play a big role, but at least they got a panel or page judging by the art Hughes is selling from the story.

https://twitter.com/AH_AdamHughes/st...124534785?s=20
    Wow, beautiful pages.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Wow, beautiful pages.

Peace
    I know, right? Adam Hughes does amazing work! Someone else found the Invaders page. The story is mostly an eulogy of Cap, but drunk Fury does include this bit about the Invaders.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Here ya go Rev:

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Hello Invaders Fans! I hope we get a good year and possibly some Invaders mentions in comics as well. I don't have much hope for a new series since we barely finish with the 2019 one but maybe Marvel will deign to grace us with a new series. A few Invaders fan arts I have wanted to post on the board, this one is from 616Toro on twitter, also posted on tumblr

Invaders Holiday Card

Wow. How'd I miss this awesome card! And the strategically placed wine glass. LOL!

This year has been very distracting for me.

And the reason I hunted down this thread ....

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post

New Marvel omnibus coming out in February 2022.
    YES!!! It's an actual Invaders Omnibus! Start saving your pennies now.

And the reason I hunted down this thread ....

YES!!! It's an actual Invaders Omnibus! Start saving your pennies now.
    Definitely excited for this Omnibus and from the contents it's going to be huge.

Wow. How'd I miss this awesome card! And the strategically placed wine glass. LOL!

This year has been very distracting for me.
    Well, we could always use a little Christmas, even in April! Besides the glass being strategically placed, it also looks like a pair of burgundy trunks.

Hopefully this year will be better for you. And I hope your allergies will calm down in the coming weeks too. Right now, they are raging.