Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

2022 would be a great year for another attempt at an Invaders series.

In light of recent MCU developments I'd go:
    Captain America(Sam Wilson)
    Human Torch
    Vision (Aarkus for clarity)
    Union Jack
    Spitfire
    Blazing Skull

Namor would show up in the first arc but like the Hulk in the original Avengers not stick around. Should the series continue he would pop up every so often due to events with the surface world as fall out from Chip Z's run.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Awesome! If there's going to be a new series, I would LOVE it if the flaming version of Jim Hammond was brought back

Last edited by K7P5V; 04-29-2021 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    2022 would be a great year for another attempt at an Invaders series.

In light of recent MCU developments I'd go:
    Captain America(Sam Wilson)
    Human Torch
    Vision (Aarkus for clarity)
    Union Jack
    Spitfire
    Blazing Skull

Namor would show up in the first arc but like the Hulk in the original Avengers not stick around. Should the series continue he would pop up every so often due to events with the surface world as fall out from Chip Z's run.
    I certainly wouldn't mind seeing the next run of Invaders focus on the Brits. Give the book to Paul Cornell. Or Paul Grist and have them team up with The Union.

I'm thinking Marvel should try a straight out WWII book. The last couple of runs have all tried to bring the Invaders into the present, when that's never really been their thing.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    [center]Awesome! If there's going to be a new series, I would LOVE it if the flaming version of Jim Hammond was brought back
    Absolutely! I definitely would like to see Jim Hammond restored. Same for Toro.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I certainly wouldn't mind seeing the next run of Invaders focus on the Brits. Give the book to Paul Cornell. Or Paul Grist and have them team up with The Union.

I'm thinking Marvel should try a straight out WWII book. The last couple of runs have all tried to bring the Invaders into the present, when that's never really been their thing.

Absolutely! I definitely would like to see Jim Hammond restored. Same for Toro.
    I agree too that WWII setting is really the Invaders time.

My lineup would be:
    Namor
    Cap
    Human Torch Jim
    Toro
    Bucky
    Spitfire
    Union Jack
    *Whizzer
    *Miss America

* while these two originally joined late in the war and after Spitfire and UJ left, I really would like these 4 to be active together on the same team! We could have Whizzer and Spitfire speedsters pairings as well as UJ and MA team-ups.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

I posted this on the Collected Editions thread, but I thought I'd also post it here:

I've been doing a Union Jack (Joey Chapman) readathon. Started off with the first appearance in Captain America #253-254 in the Marvel Universe by John Byrne Omnibus. Quite enjoyable. Also included in the back of the Omnibus are 6 never-before-published pages by Byrne which also include Union Jack and Spitfire. These would have been part of the never-completed 10th Cap issue by Roger Stern and Byrne. I'd read the two Knights of Pendragon runs previously where we see a souped-up Union Jack with powers from the Pendragon. Also key is Namor, The Sub-Mariner #12 in which, amongst others we see Spitfire regaining her youth due to a further blood transfusion from Jim Hammond. After this I reread the Union Jack (1998) TPB by Ben Raab & John Cassaday which is pretty good. I also read Avengers (1998) #82-84 and New Invaders #0 which leads into the short-lived New Invaders (2004) run by Allan Jacobsen, C.P. Smith and Chris Walker which was absolutely terrible in all areas - dialogue, art and colours. Just awful stuff, no wonder the series got canned. The art reminded me of those photo stories in my sister's teen mags from my childhood.

Next I read Captain America (2005) #3 and currently enjoying reading #18-21 from the Captain America by Brubaker, Epting & Perkins Omnibus. Coming up will be the Union Jack (2006) mini-series by Christos Cage and Mike Perkins.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I posted this on the Collected Editions thread, but I thought I'd also post it here:

I've been doing a Union Jack (Joey Chapman) readathon. Started off with the first appearance in Captain America #253-254 in the Marvel Universe by John Byrne Omnibus. Quite enjoyable. Also included in the back of the Omnibus are 6 never-before-published pages by Byrne which also include Union Jack and Spitfire. These would have been part of the never-completed 10th Cap issue by Roger Stern and Byrne. I'd read the two Knights of Pendragon runs previously where we see a souped-up Union Jack with powers from the Pendragon. Also key is Namor, The Sub-Mariner #12 in which, amongst others we see Spitfire regaining her youth due to a further blood transfusion from Jim Hammond. After this I reread the Union Jack (1998) TPB by Ben Raab & John Cassaday which is pretty good. I also read Avengers (1998) #82-84 and New Invaders #0 which leads into the short-lived New Invaders (2004) run by Allan Jacobsen, C.P. Smith and Chris Walker which was absolutely terrible in all areas - dialogue, art and colours. Just awful stuff, no wonder the series got canned. The art reminded me of those photo stories in my sister's teen mags from my childhood.

Next I read Captain America (2005) #3 and currently enjoying reading #18-21 from the Captain America by Brubaker, Epting & Perkins Omnibus. Coming up will be the Union Jack (2006) mini-series by Christos Cage and Mike Perkins.
    Yeah, The art on that New Invaders series was really dreadful (the story was kind of what if Invaders was an Image book style of story, but I didn't detest it). The only issue that was worth it was #6 by Jorge Lucas (I think). It was like they really didn't want it to succeed. If they'd kept Lucas, or someone else with a bit more of a Marvel style, on art, it might have lasted longer.
    The Union Jack mini of 2006 by Gage and Perkins is really great.

Peace

Wondering if someone can help me with this question: I saw online somewhere that Warrior Woman was with the Axis and she wore a red uniform with short blonde hair.

Where is this from? When? Is it just one panel or a book/story?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Yeah, The art on that New Invaders series was really dreadful....
    I have just read the Austen issues where the New Invaders start + #0-4 of the New Invaders title.
    Yes the art is bad. I do like the idea of Fin as stand in for Namor and Walker as Cap allowing Steve to focus on Avengers and his solo book. Still learning about Tara the female Torch. This series has Toro dead but Chip Z retconned that.
    This is my first real exposure to Thin Man and he frankly reminds me of "What If Frank Castle had a power".
    Loving Blazing Skull!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I agree too that WWII setting is really the Invaders time.
    In my mind it definitely is.

Problem is, how many younger readers even care about WWII any more?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    My lineup would be:
    Namor
    Cap
    Human Torch Jim
    Toro
    Bucky
    Spitfire
    Union Jack
    *Whizzer
    *Miss America

* while these two originally joined late in the war and after Spitfire and UJ left, I really would like these 4 to be active together on the same team! We could have Whizzer and Spitfire speedsters pairings as well as UJ and MA team-ups.
    In stories I remember, Union Jack and Spitfire were with the team for activity primarily in Europe, while Whizzer and Miss America worked with Cap and Bucky / Torch and Toro / and Namor when they were back in the United States, something that did make sense to me.

Great reading list, Raffi Ol D'Arcy! If you're interested, you could also read...

Marvel Comics Presents #42

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Yeah, The art on that New Invaders series was really dreadful (the story was kind of what if Invaders was an Image book style of story, but I didn't detest it). The only issue that was worth it was #6 by Jorge Lucas (I think). It was like they really didn't want it to succeed. If they'd kept Lucas, or someone else with a bit more of a Marvel style, on art, it might have lasted longer.
    The Union Jack mini of 2006 by Gage and Perkins is really great.

Peace
    I can see what you're saying re: Image style. I just felt UJ came across very childish, he wasn't put forward in a great light. The whole Spitfire/UJ/Hammond situation was annoying. The art in NI #6 by Jorge Lucas was a slight breath of fresh air BUT Chris Walker was still on colouring detail and those glaring colours were part of the problem. I'm looking forward to the 2006 mini. Btw, UJ fighting alongside Cap, Spitfire and Sharon Carter in the Cap Brubaker run was very good. Brubaker did him justice.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Great reading list, Raffi Ol D'Arcy! If you're interested, you could also read...

Marvel Comics Presents #42

Thanks mate. I did read that. It was a "strange" little tale. It seemed more of an attack against the Tory govt. at the time than a UJ story.

Are the Knights of the Pendragon series worth it to a Union Jack fan, or would I be better off doing a Wiki or issue summary online? I think I’ve read *most* Joey Chapman appearances, but Knights is something that’s always eluded me.

Jim Hammond just showed up in Iron Man.
    https://www.cbr.com/iron-man-korvac-...torch-brother/

spoilers:
    Though, it looks like they royally botched the continuity, as he was last seen in ANAD era Squadron Supreme, not All-New Invaders... he was alive, not buried, last we saw.
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Jim Hammond just showed up in Iron Man.
    https://www.cbr.com/iron-man-korvac-...torch-brother/

spoilers:
    Though, it looks like they royally botched the continuity, as he was last seen in ANAD era Squadron Supreme, not All-New Invaders... he was alive, not buried, last we saw.
    end of spoilers
    He was in Zdarsky's Invaders. That being said how the events of that series are presented here is very far from the reality of it.

Well, the article said All-New Invaders - which is before Secret Wars and thus before that Squadron run. I totally forgot there'd been another Invaders run since then.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman