Page 81 of 107 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 1602
  1. #1201
    Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Yeah... I'm convinced that the YA are going to get a TV show so that all of the LGBTQ+ content can happen on the small screen so when they show up on the big screen Marvel can just edit out explicitly queer content for countries that ban LGBTQ+ content.
    I agree and this is why I'm still skeptical that we're going to get much out of Eternals.

  2. #1202
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    3,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    I'm just terrified of seeing a young female actor cast and having to wonder if they're straight-washing by making Teddy into a girl.
    I don't think that's happening. I'm still holding onto that casting call we got last year that was allegedly for Teddy. It was clearly for a male character.

    Also, I think that went unnoticed by most fans, but a while back MatPat from The Film Theorists made a YouTube video about WandaVision where he made his case as to why he thought the Young Avengers where coming to the MCU. During the video, he actually dropped what I believe was an exclusive scoop: he let it slip that an actor friend of his auditioned for a Marvel role which was only described as ''a child of two different worlds'', or something like that. He didn't go into detail about this, but he used this as an argument for Hulkling possibly coming to the MCU. I thought that was interesting, because I didn't hear about any casting call with a character description like that anywhere, so maybe it was something that wasn't made public, or maybe it was from the same casting call that we heard about Hulkling, but with more details. I shockingly never saw anyone talking about this, so I thought I would share, since it COULD be evidence.

    Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    I was more optimistic before they cast much younger actors for every prominent LGBT character in the YA so far compared to every straight character.
    To be fair, we still don't know for sure what they're doing with Billy and Tommy. It was never a guarantee that the version of them we saw on WandaVision was going to be the same we see on Young Avengers. I'm not gonna jump to conclusions until we see a definitive casting announcement for a Young Avengers production.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibara View Post
    True, but the amount of people I've seen suggest they introduce Teddy as trans is worrisome. The times I've explained to people that LGBTQIA+ is a shared community but not a shared experience and thus are not interchangeable is sometimes exhausting. In addition to the problematic metaphor of the shapeshifting alien as the introduction of a trans character into the MCU, I wish people would understand that while there is commonality in the prejudice, discrimination, and dehumanization members of the LGBTQIA+ face our experiences are not mirrors of the other.
    I don't think I would have much of an issue with Teddy being a trans man if I felt it was being done for the right reasons, as in, with the intent of the character actually being portrayed as male 100% of the time. But as history has shown us, that kind of story with a character like Teddy can become problematic really fast. Allan Heinberg himself admitted that the reason why he wanted to introduce Teddy as a female-presenting character initially was not out of a sense of genuine trans representation, but because he wanted to bypass the perceived homophobia in the industry by ''sneaking'' a gay couple into what would look like a straight couple to most people. Needless to say..... that was a bad idea, and Allan seems glad he went with the version of the story he ended up going with. So... yeah, I'm not sure if I trust the MCU with this, because if they haven't even done the work to commit to gay representation yet, it's really hard to see them doing this much for trans rep. And if you don't know how to properly tackle an issue... then maybe just don't.

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Besides, there's another Skrull character who they could use if they want an inter-species gender bent relationship - Xavin from Runaways. He wanted to be with Karolina Dean, but Karrie is a lesbian. So he shapeshifted to a female form!
    I wish they would give Xavin and Xavolina a proper chance of adaptation, but considering the Runaways TV show had to ruin that story, I'm not so confident we're getting that in the proper MCU anytime soon.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 04-22-2021 at 12:21 PM.

  3. #1203
    Astonishing Member Journey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    It's the age discrepancy between the characters. If they're waiting that long for Billy, Tommy and America to be older than they are now, then Kate, Cassie and Eli are going to be even older. So if they're waiting for those young boys who played Billy and Tommy on WandaVision to age then why are the other characters, the straight characters, going to have such a huge age difference from the younger ones?

    And don't give me the "Kate is supposed to be a year or two older than the rest of them" explanation. Because Hailee is obviously more than one or two years older, and that doesn't explain there being an age difference between Cassie, Eli and the others as well.

    Like I get that they're not going to straight-wash the LGBT characters but can we just admit that them casting significantly younger actors for the LGBT characters, but age-appropriate ones for the straight characters, is suspicious?
    I just think they casted well knowns for Kate & Cassie to give the cast more hype Hailee Steinfield as Kate has been a thing for years, Kathryn Newton is also popping after The Society, Eli's actor is pretty much unknown. America's actress is 14 she'll likely be 17/18 before anything is being done with YA, & it's not like she has any prominent romance her Ramone just became a thing on a comic that flopped, I just don't think this is some conspiracy by Marvel I really don't I just think patience is key this is the beginning set up for a new phase their playing the long game but that's just my opinion

  4. #1204
    Spectacular Member Ibara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Ok if y'all really think Marvel is gonna do trans representation in the MCU y'all give them far too much credit, in that same sentence they know damn well if they cast Teddy as a girl & fuck up him & Billy their most relevant LGBT couple known outside of comics people would lose their shit it's just not gonna happen.

    I feel some of y'all are also overestimating when any YA movie/series will take place I actually think it's years away from being an actual thing patience is a virtue, when you look at it from that perspective casting for the Twins & America make sense.
    Yeah I do think there will eventually be trans representation in the MCU. Good representation is another matter and headlining their own movie, unfortunately, is not something I can see them committing to for the foreseeable future.

    The soonest I can see them rolling out the YA is probably 2024, so yep a few years. Julian and Jett will be 12. Wiccan and Tommy were introduced as 16 telling teen stories. I don't think people are going to be patient enough to wait for 6+ years for the romance between Wiccan and Hulkling to even start. Especially with Kate, Cassie, and Eli moving onto adult stories as their actors approach their 30's in the same timespan. The easiest solution is to age up the twins and America in some way as the YA come together to not tell disjointed young adult and pre-teen stories.

  5. #1205
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I just think they casted well knowns for Kate & Cassie to give the cast more hype Hailee Steinfield as Kate has been a thing for years, Kathryn Newton is also popping after The Society, Eli's actor is pretty much unknown. America's actress is 14 she'll likely be 17/18 before anything is being done with YA, & it's not like she has any prominent romance her Ramone just became a thing on a comic that flopped, I just don't think this is some conspiracy by Marvel I really don't I just think patience is key this is the beginning set up for a new phase their playing the long game but that's just my opinion
    I don't think they would have cast a pretty dramatically aged up actress for Cassie if this isn't a project for the immediate future.

  6. #1206
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    8,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    I don't think they would have cast a pretty dramatically aged up actress for Cassie if this isn't a project for the immediate future.
    Isn't she going to be a hero in Quantumania

  7. #1207
    Ultimate Member Fokken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    10,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Yeah... I'm convinced that the YA are going to get a TV show so that all of the LGBTQ+ content can happen on the small screen so when they show up on the big screen Marvel can just edit out explicitly queer content for countries that ban LGBTQ+ content.
    And if that's the case they'll release it using HULU rather than Disney+
    That seems to be the venue for what they view as "adult" content. [eye roll]

  8. #1208
    Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I just think they casted well knowns for Kate & Cassie to give the cast more hype Hailee Steinfield as Kate has been a thing for years, Kathryn Newton is also popping after The Society, Eli's actor is pretty much unknown. America's actress is 14 she'll likely be 17/18 before anything is being done with YA, & it's not like she has any prominent romance her Ramone just became a thing on a comic that flopped, I just don't think this is some conspiracy by Marvel I really don't I just think patience is key this is the beginning set up for a new phase their playing the long game but that's just my opinion
    So in this scenario when a YA project is being done America's actress will be 17/18, Billy's actor will be 12/13 and Kate and Cassie's actresses will be 27/28. I just don't buy that the YA cast's ages are going to be that spread out.

  9. #1209
    Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    And if that's the case they'll release it using HULU rather than Disney+
    That seems to be the venue for what they view as "adult" content. [eye roll]
    HULU doesn't exist outside of the US. They're already folding HULU's content into Disney+ as "Disney+ Star", I already have that here in Canada. Anything that Disney makes from now on is going on Disney+, if it is considered "mature" than it'll just go into the "Star" section where they put all the content that's "not suitable for children".

  10. #1210
    Astonishing Member Journey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,157

    Default

    See I don't think Julian & Jett are gonna be Billy & Tommy forever I'm cool with the wait cause ya know (got youth) but I see them getting about 2 more projects M.O.M & then 1 more after the fact where they'll age up another 5 years I don't see it happening in Dr Strange though. The America actress though I see them waiting. It's their own fault no one told them to cast 2 old broads for Kate & Cassie.

  11. #1211
    Ultimate Member Fokken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    10,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    HULU doesn't exist outside of the US. They're already folding HULU's content into Disney+ as "Disney+ Star", I already have that here in Canada. Anything that Disney makes from now on is going on Disney+, if it is considered "mature" than it'll just go into the "Star" section where they put R-rated content..
    Ohhh. Well thanks, MoM! That's helpful to know! Was definitely curious about how some of their inherited properties were going to be made available whilst keeping The Mouse satiated.

  12. #1212
    Astonishing Member Journey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibara View Post
    Yeah I do think there will eventually be trans representation in the MCU. Good representation is another matter and headlining their own movie, unfortunately, is not something I can see them committing to for the foreseeable future.

    The soonest I can see them rolling out the YA is probably 2024, so yep a few years. Julian and Jett will be 12. Wiccan and Tommy were introduced as 16 telling teen stories. I don't think people are going to be patient enough to wait for 6+ years for the romance between Wiccan and Hulkling to even start. Especially with Kate, Cassie, and Eli moving onto adult stories as their actors approach their 30's in the same timespan. The easiest solution is to age up the twins and America in some way as the YA come together to not tell disjointed young adult and pre-teen stories.
    You have more confidence in the Mouse then me. I don't trust the Mouse at all!! This is the same Mouse who moved "Love Victor" to hulu because it was too "Mature" if that's the case I don't see the Mouse doing a damn thing for Trans rep anytime soon.

  13. #1213
    Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    See I don't think Julian & Jett are gonna be Billy & Tommy forever I'm cool with the wait cause ya know (got youth) but I see them getting about 2 more projects M.O.M & then 1 more after the fact where they'll age up another 5 years I don't see it happening in Dr Strange though. The America actress though I see them waiting. It's their own fault no one told them to cast 2 old broads for Kate & Cassie.
    I do agree that they'll probably wait for America's actress to age, but that makes more sense because she wasn't an original member of the YA.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Ohhh. Well thanks, MoM! That's helpful to know! Was definitely curious about how some of their inherited properties were going to be made available whilst keeping The Mouse satiated.
    No problem. I was super happy when they added Star to Disney+ here. It's basically just a parental control like on other services.

  14. #1214
    Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    You have more confidence in the Mouse then me. I don't trust the Mouse at all!! This is the same Mouse who moved "Love Victor" to hulu because it was too "Mature" if that's the case I don't see the Mouse doing a damn thing for Trans rep anytime soon.
    See but that's one of the things that has been moved off of HULU and on to Disney+ proper now, at least outside of the US. This is why I'm not too worried about LGBT stuff showing up on Disney+ in the future, the whole "Star" category makes it possible. And like I said; Star is just a parental control. Basically they waited until there was a parental control to put Love, Victor on Disney+ and even before that there was some stuff on the service that had gay characters.
    Last edited by MasterOfMagnetism; 04-22-2021 at 12:33 PM.

  15. #1215
    Mighty Member Kingdom X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    1,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    See I don't think Julian & Jett are gonna be Billy & Tommy forever I'm cool with the wait cause ya know (got youth) but I see them getting about 2 more projects M.O.M & then 1 more after the fact where they'll age up another 5 years I don't see it happening in Dr Strange though. The America actress though I see them waiting. It's their own fault no one told them to cast 2 old broads for Kate & Cassie.
    Yeah I definitely think they'll age Billy and Tommy using some magical plot device. I'm also fine with America being the "kid" of the group. If Teddy is also cast as a child I'll be ready to fight cause that's really just an excuse for all the gays to be too young for romantic plots.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •