Page 36 of 141 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686136 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

So... did anything interesting happen with Eli on the newest Black Panther issue?

Wickling Preview Analysis: I am not mad at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Wickling Preview Analysis: I am not mad at it.
    I thought it was cute. Billy's dying for the D.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I thought it was cute. Billy's dying for the D.
    Yes.
    Very much enjoy Horny Billy. All the cute pet name stuff. I really enjoy massive Lauri Ell crashing the honeymoon because DUTY.
    I had reservations but its all quite lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I envy their drive and stamina, in Empyre they proved to me you can do a lot of **** in 1 hour can only imagine what can get done in 15 minutes. Also I'm loving Lauri-Ell

Fantastic Member Waking Replica's Avatar

I'm happy they're letting them be so openly sexual and horny lmao, Ike is quaking in his boots as we speak.

I will say, I recently watched this yt vid about them and in it the guy ended the vid by talking about how Billy and Teddy were made to be palatable to straight audiences because being gay is their only thing and that they partook in the institution of marriage. I just... Did not understand where that comes from. I could understand in their earlier years since it took them years just to say the word boyfriend, let alone have them kiss. But after last year, they're very firmly complex gay characters who happen to be very visibly and actively gay. I mean, space emperor and future magic reality god, both dealing with trauma and depression, now both have new responsibilities. It's this weird thing where if gay people in fiction have one aspect of their life that's easy or doesn't include some form of struggle, then they're automatically written off as "made for straight people". There's enough exploitative trauma filled fiction featuring queer people, let there be one pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
    Last edited by Waking Replica; 02-25-2021 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Waking Replica View Post
    I will say, I recently watched this yt vid about them and in it the guy ended the vid by talking about how Billy and Teddy were made to be palatable to straight audiences because being gay is their only thing and that they partook in the institution of marriage. I just... Did not understand where that comes from. I could understand in their earlier years since it took them years just to say the word boyfriend, let alone have them kiss. But after last year, they're very firmly complex gay characters who happen to be very visibly and actively gay. I mean, space emperor and future magic reality god, both dealing with trauma and depression, now both have new responsibilities. It's this weird thing where if gay people in fiction have one aspect of their life that's easy or doesn't include some form of struggle, then they're automatically written off as "made for straight people". There's enough exploitative trauma filled fiction featuring queer people, let there be one pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
    I watched that, and the video was mostly good until that last part. It really felt like the guy was being overly critical just for the sake of being critical. Like he couldn't get through the video without bashing Marvel/Disney and being ''I'm not like the other gays''. It felt like he had an axe to grind with the company, and decided to take out his frustrations on Billy and Teddy. The idea that Billy and Teddy have nothing going for them other than being gay is demonstrably untrue, and his complaint about the lack of ''single gay representation'' makes no sense when talking about these characters, because they were NEVER single. They were a couple from the very beginning, and have been in a stable, loving relationship for longer than most other Marvel couples.... like, what exactly was he expecting from them? I could totally understand this complaint if Marvel had taken Iceman and married him to the first random guy he dates after coming out, but Billy and Teddy actually went through a lot of development until they got married. It's ok to want ''single and ready to mingle'' representation from gay characters, but Billy and Teddy were just never those characters. I was also bothered by his comment about how ''that's what happens when straight people write gay characters'', because he totally dismissed the contributions queer writers other than Allan Heinberg brought to the characters.

I also question the validity of some of the stuff he said early in the video, about how Marvel never wanted them to be a gay couple and that they were pretty much forcing Allan Heinberg to write a ''straight couple'' by making Teddy female until he went against their wishes. That doesn't line up at all with what Allan described about the creation of the characters. It's pretty much the opposite, actually, since Allan said he was the one who pitched female Teddy because he thought Marvel wouldn't allow him to do a gay couple, but editorial surprised him by not only allowing him, but encouraging him to do so. If there was more drama that happened behind the scenes, I don't recall Allan ever specifying that on anything I've read about.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

I've been seeing people complaining about WandaVision, saying that Wanda and Vision's relationship is underdeveloped and that they're only together because they were together in the comics and it's made me realize that we are going to hear SO MUCH complaining about Billy and Teddy once they finally get together in the MCU. Like aside from the garden-variety homophobia I just know there's going to be so many people complaining that their relationship is boring and that they're just "token" gay characters, or that their personality "is just being gay", etc. Like regardless of how their relationship is written I guarantee we're going to hear these complaints no matter what.

I also agree with Waking Replica that not everything has to be about "The Struggle" with gay characters. Let them be happily gay with each other. There's way too much angsty bullshit out there when it comes to gay characters and their sexuality, let at least Wiccan and Hulkling be fine.

And that doesn't just apply to gay characters, it applies to all minority characters tbh. Not everything with minorities has to be about "The Struggle".
    Last edited by MasterOfMagnetism; 02-25-2021 at 11:05 PM.

Honestly, to the inevitable angst babble about our boys love story: **** those people.

If anyone here is on Reddit, there's a YA fan there asking for recommendations for what to read after YA vol 2. Anyone fancy giving them some pointers? I'd do it myself but I'm banned on r/comicbooks for some stupid reason.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/..._to_read_next/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Another week of WandaVision, another week in which spoilers:
    the twins didn't age. I'm gonna be so frustrated if we don't get at least a glimpse of who's playing their teenage selves and Marvel really makes us wait until lord knows when for that.
    end of spoilers

But anyway, the good news is that spoilers:
    they are alive and well. I feared Agatha had some sinister plan for them, but it seems like she really just wanted to hold them hostage to use that against Wanda. That doesn't explain the whole ''for the children'', though. It definitely seemed like there was a wicked purpose behind her having kids... we'll see how that goes next episode.
    end of spoilers

One of the biggest reveals of this episode raises some questions about the twins: spoilers:
    if the Vision inside of the Hex was literally created by Wanda with her Chaos Magic, that implies that is ALSO the nature of the twins. They are constructs of pure Chaos Magic, and if Chaos Magic is anything like in the comics, that potentially connects them to Chthon instead of Mephisto in the MCU. It's possible we will find out that Wanda was drawing power from Chthon all this time, and he will end up absorbing the twins to mirror the Master Pandemonium/Mephisto plot of the comics. Or maybe they'll just cease to exist outside of the Hex, since we saw in episode 6 that Vision dies outside of it too. Another theory is that, as a Nexus Being, Wanda might've tapped into the multiverse to bring another version of Vision to this timeline, but I don't like the idea that Wanda just stole two fetuses from someone in another world to herself. That... wouldn't be a good look.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 02-26-2021 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    the twins didn't age. I'm gonna be so frustrated if we don't get at least a glimpse of who's playing their teenage selves and Marvel really makes wait until lord knows when for that.
    end of spoilers

they are alive and well. I feared Agatha had some sinister plan for them, but it seems like she really just wanted to hold them hostage to use that against Wanda. That doesn't explain the whole ''for the children'', though. It definitely seemed like there was a wicked purpose behind her having kids... we'll see how that goes next episode.
    end of spoilers

One of the biggest reveals of this episode raises some questions about the twins: spoilers:
    if the Vision inside of the Hex was literally created by Wanda with her Chaos Magic, that implies that is ALSO the nature of the twins. They are constructs of pure Chaos Magic, and if Chaos Magic is anything like in the comics, that potentially connects them to Chthon instead of Mephisto in the MCU. It's possible we will find out that Wanda was drawing power from Chthon all this time, and he will end up absorbing the twins to mirror the Master Pandemonium/Mephisto plot of the comics. Or maybe they'll just cease to exist outside of the Hex, since we saw in episode 6 that Vision dies outside of it too. Another theory is that, as a Nexus Being, Wanda might've tapped into the multiverse to bring another version of Vision to this timeline, but I don't like the idea that Wanda just stole two fetuses from someone in another world to herself. That... wouldn't be a good look.
    end of spoilers
    Interesting theories yeah I feel everyone who wanted Teen Minimoffs is gonna be disappointed but honestly I'm cool with that for now I gotta say ultimately I do think they'll be fine maybe even in Dr Strange & I gotta say with today's revelation and America being casted I really think Billy's whole Demiurge destiny might be addressed/acknowledged in that movie before not so much but as the show continues I really could see it happening and if this does lead too you know who maybe will finally get an answer if his Demiurge is meant to be the same one who created the Elder Gods.

Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member Waking Replica's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    the twins didn't age. I'm gonna be so frustrated if we don't get at least a glimpse of who's playing their teenage selves and Marvel really makes wait until lord knows when for that.
    end of spoilers

end of spoilers

end of spoilers
    Don't know if you saw, but someone on reddit found out that spoilers:
    the mom's of both current actors for Billy and Tommy had posted in like November of last year about going to the UK, around the same time DS2 started to film. So, either they stay kids here and age up there, or like Kevin Feige said, they're going to have it so people who didn't watch the show can keep up and have like a brief summary or expository sequence in the film
    end of spoilers