Page 74 of 95 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1418
  1. #1096
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    6,654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harasar View Post
    Does Wiccan even consider himself Jewish? I can't remember any scene in comics where he spoke about it. Just because he is from Jewish family doesn't mean he himself is obligated to follow Judaism. Same is for Wanda, being Romani barely played any role in her life (at least I can't remember any time it had any crucial role) and was rarely mentioned at all, so I don't see why it is a problem that it wasn't brought into MCU. With how many times their origin was changed it is hard to think that she or Pietro would be very attached to culture and traditions of one group or another.
    The comics themselves haven't always been consistent in showing it. I kinda see why some fans would value it, considering the YA isn't the most ethnically diverse team otherwise. But idk how many writers especially cared that much

  2. #1097
    Ultimate Member Wiccan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    12,058

    Default

    He wore a rabbi to his wedding. He has talked about being jewish a few times.

    It's totally understandable though if he isn't in the MCU, considering I don't think they're gonna be doing the reincarnation thing. If that's the case, the most they could do is hire a jewish actor, since people seem to care more about that than about whether the character is actually written to be jewish.

  3. #1098
    Astonishing Member Journey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    since people seem to care more about that than about whether the character is actually written to be jewish.
    This furthers my point about fake outrage.

  4. #1099
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    6,654

    Default

    I think their representation in the MCU will depend on how they're brought back

  5. #1100
    Astonishing Member Journey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I think their representation in the MCU will depend on how they're brought back
    Since it's all but confirmed Julian & Jett are in M.O.M. I don't even think the twins "died" like how they originally did in the comics I think were gonna end up finding out Billy probably pulled an early "Mother" & fucked up got him & Tommy trapped in some dark dimension or some shit IDK if it was Julian's facial acting or what, but he looks so damn suspicious to me when Wanda's putting them to bed, like so suspicious top it off MCU Billy reads minds he probably knew what was about to happen with the hex.

  6. #1101
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    6,654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Since it's all but confirmed Julian & Jett are in M.O.M. I don't even think the twins "died" like how they originally did in the comics I think were gonna end up finding out Billy probably pulled an early "Mother" & fucked up got him & Tommy trapped in some dark dimension or some shit IDK if it was Julian's facial acting or what, but he looks so damn suspicious to me when Wanda's putting them to bed, like so suspicious top it off MCU Billy reads minds he probably knew what was about to happen with the hex.
    He probably knew on some level what happened.

    Idk how major of a plot point the twins will be in MoM. It could even be a post credits scene

  7. #1102
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    3,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harasar View Post
    Does Wiccan even consider himself Jewish? I can't remember any scene in comics where he spoke about it. Just because he is from Jewish family doesn't mean he himself is obligated to follow Judaism. Same is for Wanda, being Romani barely played any role in her life (at least I can't remember any time it had any crucial role) and was rarely mentioned at all, so I don't see why it is a problem that it wasn't brought into MCU. With how many times their origin was changed it is hard to think that she or Pietro would be very attached to culture and traditions of one group or another.
    He most definitely does. He describes himself as jewish at least twice during Heinberg's run, he appeared in a holiday special Marvel published celebrating Hanukkah alongside other jewish heroes, and we have at least two other moments where characters point out how weird it is for him to call himself Wiccan when he is jewish. And of course, he had a jewish wedding just recently. He was established to be reform jewish early on, so he might not follow every tradition, but he's still jewish. That's not up to debate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    It's totally understandable though if he isn't in the MCU, considering I don't think they're gonna be doing the reincarnation thing. If that's the case, the most they could do is hire a jewish actor, since people seem to care more about that than about whether the character is actually written to be jewish.
    Hiring a jewish actor and not making the character jewish will most definitely not go over well with fans who want that representation. The actor's religion would be essentially a non-factor here. It would be like hiring a muslim actress for Ms. Marvel but not making her muslim. It doesn't make any sense. Notice how there was never much controversy about FOXverse Magneto, even if he was never played by jewish people, because those movies at least honored his jewish heritage. And just recently they cast Oscar Isaac as Moon Knight even though he said it himself he comes from a very christian family, and most fans seem to be ok with that casting because there is evidence the character will have his jewish background. So I think the character is more important than the actor here. If he remains Billy Maximoff, the most they can do is actually have him convert or be adopted by a jewish family in the MCU. There's no outcome here where his religion is erased and fans are satisfied. Marvel will be digging their own hole if they do this, and I honestly won't even feel bad for them in that case, because after the whole whitewashing thing with the Maximoffs, they should've learned their lesson. I just don't see the point of putting a target on Billy's back like they did with Wanda.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 04-16-2021 at 04:24 AM.

  8. #1103
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    6,654

    Default

    Marvel Studios seems to be more conscious now.

    Although, I often wonder with these characters, how do they reconcile some of their religious beliefs with their heroic ideals?

  9. #1104
    Fantastic Member Waking Replica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    258

    Default

    FATWS spoilers!

    spoilers:
    Eli got some lines! Although it amounted to just him telling Sam where Isaiah was. Something tells me this is probably the last we'll see of him in the show, hopefully he gets his own after credits scene, but we'll see.
    end of spoilers

  10. #1105
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    2,163

    Default

    Has Eli's name even been said in F&TWS...or do we just know it is him from the credits and close caption??

  11. #1106
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    1,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Has Eli's name even been said in F&TWS...or do we just know it is him from the credits and close caption??
    He's listed as Eli Bradley in the credits.

  12. #1107
    Ultimate Member Wiccan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    12,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Hiring a jewish actor and not making the character jewish will most definitely not go over well with fans who want that representation. The actor's religion would be essentially a non-factor here. It would be like hiring a muslim actress for Ms. Marvel but not making her muslim. It doesn't make any sense. Notice how there was never much controversy about FOXverse Magneto, even if he was never played by jewish people, because those movies at least honored his jewish heritage. And just recently they cast Oscar Isaac as Moon Knight even though he said it himself he comes from a very christian family, and most fans seem to be ok with that casting because there is evidence the character will have his jewish background. So I think the character is more important than the actor here. If he remains Billy Maximoff, the most they can do is actually have him convert or be adopted by a jewish family in the MCU. There's no outcome here where his religion is erased and fans are satisfied. Marvel will be digging their own hole if they do this, and I honestly won't even feel bad for them in that case, because after the whole whitewashing thing with the Maximoffs, they should've learned their lesson. I just don't see the point of putting a target on Billy's back like they did with Wanda.
    Nah I disagree. 99% of the comments about the Maximoff whitewashing are people mad at Elizabeth Olsen, who's not romani, playing Wanda. No much about how they were written to not actually be romani from Serbia but just white people from eastern europe. The reasons why X-Men movies didn't get backslash are plenty: First Class with Fassbender's casting came in 2011, the idea of jewish as an ethnicity and how that can be "whitewashed" is more complicated than romani, even back in 2015 the discussion about whitewashing wasn't big, and the Fox movies weren't the big phenomenom that the MCU is, etc.

    I'm sure that, if they cast a jewish actor as teenage Billy Maximoff, there would be plenty of people celebrating that and saying MCU Billy is jewish.

  13. #1108
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    2,163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    He's listed as Eli Bradley in the credits.
    Yes...but there is no actual dialog saying "Eli.."...right?

  14. #1109
    Fantastic Member Waking Replica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Short preview + interview with Al Ewing about GOTG #14 and GOTG going forward!

    https://www.gamesradar.com/inside-th...ching-jackets/

  15. #1110
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    526

    Default

    Is this the first time an MCU actor shares the first name with their character?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •