Freya
    Odin
    The Ancient One
    Mar-Vell
    Yondu
    T’Chaka
    Zuri
    Even Tony for Peter Parker

It’s a right of passage for the main character.

Only Ant-man is immune.
    Reminds me of the Disney formula. Nobody has a mom, and dad's not really gonna be any help either...

Ultimate Member

And it's not really how it goes in the comics all the time. Sometimes, but not every instance

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Yeah, it's possible they could do something like that. Honestly I'm not sure why they killed Mar-Vell off.
    I think it's pretty obvious they didn't care about Mar-Vell as a character and weren't creative enough to come up with another explanation to the Captain Marvel name, so they used Mar-Vell basically to give Carol that name, give the comics a ''nod'' and move on with the story they actually wanted to tell. But Captain Marvel had such an average reception (and I think Marvel knows this, which is why they changed the directors), that I truly hope they consider retconning the poor job Boden and Fleck did with Mar-Vell. They should just say that character had a son who would basically function as an accurate Mar-Vell in the future. I don't expect that to ever happen in a Captain Marvel movie, but I hope they do it in a Young Avengers franchise or something. I don't need Mar-Vell with Carol, but I think it would be good for him to have a relationship with his son that he never got to have in the comics.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I think it's pretty obvious they didn't care about Mar-Vell as a character and weren't creative enough to come up with another explanation to the Captain Marvel name, so they used Mar-Vell basically to give Carol that name, give the comics a ''nod'' and move on with the story they actually wanted to tell. But Captain Marvel had such an average reception (and I think Marvel knows this, which is why they changed the directors), that I truly hope they consider retconning the poor job Boden and Fleck did with Mar-Vell. They should just say that character had a son who would basically function as an accurate Mar-Vell in the future. I don't expect that to ever happen in a Captain Marvel movie, but I hope they do it in a Young Avengers franchise or something. I don't need Mar-Vell with Carol, but I think it would be good for him to have a relationship with his son that he never got to have in the comics.
    CM was a reasonably good movie IMO, but I think we need to see more of who Carol is, like we do with other MCU heroes.

Mar-Vell died a while ago so I think that may have contributed to him not seeming important

Anyone read America today? More retconning/backstory being added to her lore, Kate cameo'd & this did establish the America Volume 1 isn't being completely retconned as the grandma was shown in a little drawing made by kid America of her "family" in a flashback, Billy AKA the Demiurge also got a little shout out in the drawing of Amerca's family he really is/was an important figure for her I wish they interacted more, it has me very curious how they'll handle their situation in Dr Strange MOM I feel it's too important to America's character/lore to ignore at this stage in the game.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Anyone read America today? More retconning/backstory being added to her lore, Kate cameo'd & this did establish the America Volume 1 isn't being completely retconned as the grandma was shown in a little drawing made by kid America of her "family" in a flashback, Billy AKA the Demiurge also got a little shout out in the drawing of Amerca's family he really is/was an important figure for her I wish they interacted more, it has me very curious how they'll handle their situation in Dr Strange MOM I feel it's too important to America's character/lore to ignore at this stage in the game.
    I'm honestly not expecting her to have a major appearance in MoM. With Strange, Wong, Scarlet Witch, Mordo, and possibly Clea, I think this might be more of an introductory point for her into the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    CM was a reasonably good movie IMO, but I think we need to see more of who Carol is, like we do with other MCU heroes.
    I don't think it was a bad movie and it obviously didn't flop, but I think it's telling that the directors didn't secure a sequel even with the movie grossing 1B. It's very unusual for Marvel to replace directors like that with that kind of financial success. Even if CM wasn't a total disaster, I think the general agreement was that it could've used a better direction. For me, the movie felt overshadowed in comparison to the other two great Marvel movies that came out the same year. It's basically how I felt about Ant-Man And The Wasp in the year before too.

Mar-Vell died a while ago so I think that may have contributed to him not seeming important
    Yeah, I get that. Still, I'm of the opinion that if you don't want to do a character justice, then don't use them at all instead of doing them dirty, because every character has fans, even the most obscure and forgotten ones. I don't think a single Mar-Vell fan likes what the movie did to the character. Hell, I see even non Mar-Vell fans disliking it too. It was just a total waste of the character. If they thought the character wasn't important for the Captain Marvel movie, they should've kept him to be used by someone else down the line. Which is why I'm hoping Young Avengers (or some other franchise) will fix it. I don't think it's impossible, specially seeing how WandaVision finally gave Wanda a more accurate origin, and now TF&TWS did the same to Zemo. I hope whenever we get Hulkling, they finally put some respect on Mar-Vell's name.

Haven't read it yet, but it seems like the writer isn't doing things much differently than in the first solo: she's adding new stuff instead of just straight-up erasing everything that came before. I'm just glad the Demiurge stuff is still a part of her story and I, too, wish they would explore more of America's relationship with Billy.

As for the MCU, I don't expect a big exploration of her origins. I think they're gonna say she comes from a different dimension (and maybe they'll even namedrop the Utopian Parallel), but I don't expect them to go into detail about the origin of the place. Billy was barely introduced in the MCU yet, and I think it's too soon to get into the Demiurge stuff. I think this is something they might save for later on once Young Avengers is already established in the MCU, and I think it's for the better.

Ultimate Member

Some directors were often replaced in phase 1, which is oddly fitting considering CM felt like a phase 1 movie in many ways

I'm not even a huge Mar-Vell fan and I thought it was a waste. If Z-list characters like Korg and Okoye can get good representation, a B-lister like Mar-Vell should

I think MoM will focus more on strange, with othera being additional characters, like Strange himself was in Ragnarok, rather than central characters. So I think you're righr about the Wiccan and Utopia storyline coming later

Issue 2 of the America Chavez solo came out yesterday. I'm really enjoying this so far. Did anyone else get struck with "Are they retconning her past???" feelings at the end?

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Issue 2 of the America Chavez solo came out yesterday. I'm really enjoying this so far. Did anyone else get struck with "Are they retconning her past???" feelings at the end?
    I mean to be fair so far this whole series has been retconning of her past. I was mostly just confused didn't get what was supposed to be happening.

I mean to be fair so far this whole series has been retconning of her past. I was mostly just confused didn't get what was supposed to be happening.
    I felt like it was more filling in the blanks of her childhood outside the Utopian Parallel. But NOW, after that cliffhanger, I'm calling into question the validity of her own memories of her mom's etc. I'm probably overreacting and that is just what the author WANTS~! I shall not fall into the trap!!

Fantastic Member Waking Replica's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I felt like it was more filling in the blanks of her childhood outside the Utopian Parallel. But NOW, after that cliffhanger, I'm calling into question the validity of her own memories of her mom's etc. I'm probably overreacting and that is just what the author WANTS~! I shall not fall into the trap!!
    I haven't gotten around for reading it yet, but by what you're saying, do you think they're retconning the entire Utopian Parallel away/her parents? Cause if so that's a bit... problematic to me, taking away her having two mother's and giving her a heteronormative family in exchange :|

Quote Originally Posted by Waking Replica View Post
    I haven't gotten around for reading it yet, but by what you're saying, do you think they're retconning the entire Utopian Parallel away/her parents? Cause if so that's a bit... problematic to me, taking away her having two mother's and giving her a heteronormative family in exchange :|
    Nah, it seems like they're trying to tease that a little but I don't think that's where it's going. Seems like it may reveal there's another survivor of the Parallel (and maybe some more retcons about it, but doesn't seem to be taking it away completely).

Fantastic Member Waking Replica's Avatar

GOTG PREVIEW!!!

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/04/08/ex...the-galaxy-13/

Looks like that issue with the word Excelsior did impact the sword lol, but I kinda dig the overcomplicated spelling!! Very camp!

Quote Originally Posted by Waking Replica View Post
    GOTG PREVIEW!!!

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/04/08/ex...the-galaxy-13/

Looks like that issue with the word Excelsior did impact the sword lol, but I kinda dig the overcomplicated spelling!! Very camp!
    I'm irrationally pissed at this, LOL. I'm glad the intent is pretty much the same, but ain't no way I'm calling the sword by this abomination of a spelling. It's Excelsior, and Stan Lee's estate can kiss my ass!