Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Susan Storm-Richards: The Invisible Woman Appreciation 2021

Welcome to 2021's Invisible Woman appreciation thread!!!

This time it's special as 2021 also marks the 60th anniversary of Marvel's First Lady!

Let's celebrate her 60th and hope for great things for Sue this year!

Previous appreciation threads:

2018:https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2018
    2019: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2019
    2020: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2020

Origin

Along with the other members of the Fantastic Four Susan Storm's story begins in the pages of Fantastic Four #1 (1961).

After the fateful bombardment of cosmic rays Sue found she had the ability to turn invisible at will and took on the moniker of the Invisible Girl.

Through the years

As time progress Sue discovered more to her powers, gaining the ability to turn other things invisible as well as generate powerful force-fields that she can she shape in any for she chooses.

Susan also married her fellow teammate, Mr Fantastic, and has had two children with him. Becoming one of the most well-known superhero mothers in media.

She has led the Fantastic Four when Mr Fantastic was thought dead, has been the Queen of old Atlantis, worked as a spy for SHIELD, and has done many more things.

Eventually, Sue drops the 'Girl' part of her codename and becomes The Invisible Woman.

Invisible Woman today

Sue has grown exponentially since her introduction and is now considered the most powerful member of the Fantastic Four and one of the more powerful heroes in Marvel.

She is now a confident, powerful, and respected member of the Fantastic Four. As well as a leader in her own right.

I look forward to what's in store for Sue in the upcoming years and hope she continues to grow and impress.

Now let's appreciate Marvel's First Lady and celebrate her 60th anniversary!!
    Last edited by Crimz; 01-01-2021 at 12:03 AM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Powers and Abilities

Invisibility

Sue can make herself and others invisible by bending light and things on the uv spectrum around her. She also has the power make invisible things visible again. She is precise enough to even blind someone by bending light away from their eyes.
    Sue can also see/sense things that are invisible.

Force Fields

Sue has the ability to generate invisible force fields. She has complete control over them, enabling her to change their shape, size, texture, and density to whatever she wants. Her only limit is her imagination.
    Her force-fields are powerful enough to defend against attacks from 100 tonner and cosmic beings. However, the more powerful an attack is the more mental strain it puts on Sue and enough force will make her drop her force-fields.
    It is theorized by Mr Fantastic and his father Nathaniel Richards that her force-fields derive from Hyperspace, the same dimension as the Celestials.

Martial arts training

Susan has been trained in judo by Mr Fantastic, self defense from The Thing and She Hulk, and training from Iron Fist.
    This makes Sue a competent Martial artist in her own right, but her powers mean that she rarely needs to use it.

Recommended/Essential Reading

These are for particular runs/arcs that had Sue as the focus or has great moments for her. Which is why runs prior to Byrne's, such as Stan Lee's/Jack Kirby's run, were left out.

For a more general Fantastic Four recommended/essential reading, please check out the teams appreciation thread: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2021

John Byrne

Fantastic Four Vol.1 #232–295

Mark Waid

Fantastic Four Vol. 3 #60-#70
    Fantastic Four Vol 1 #500-#524
    Invisible Woman: Partners in Crime (5 issue mini series)

Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa

Marvel Knights 4 Vol.1 #1-#30

Jonathan Hickman

Dark Reign: Fantastic Four #1-#5
    Fantastic Four Vol 1 #570-#588
    FF Vol 1 #1-#11
    Fantastic Four Vol 1 #600-#611 alternating with FF Vol 1 #12-23

James Robinson

Fantastic Four Vol 5 #1-#14
    Fantastic Four Vol 1 #642-#645
    Fantastic Four Annual Vol 5 #1

Notable One Shot's/Mini's

Before the Fantastic Four: The Storms Vol 1. #1-3 (2000)
    Captain Universe: Invisible Woman #1 (2006)
    SHIELD Vol. 3 #4 (2015)
    Invisible Woman: Partners in Crime (2019)
    Last edited by Crimz; 01-01-2021 at 12:32 AM.

What does everyone want and expect from Sue this year? Especially considering it's the teams 60th.

Happy New Year to Sue and all her fans .

Sue Storm and Reed Richards
    by
    Teban1983

https://www.deviantart.com/teban1983...ards-818093487

I know it's superficial but I was always fascinating that Sue was the only woman throughout the 60s-90s who constantly changed her hairstyle. Most of the marvel women pretty much had the same hair, I guess to keep them at their most recognizable. Sue, on the other had had short curls, bobs, mid-length to long and flowy, even the infamous mullet. Always giving real woman tea.

The Claremont Anniversary Special is out next week!

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    I know it's superficial but I was always fascinating that Sue was the only woman throughout the 60s-90s who constantly changed her hairstyle. Most of the marvel women pretty much had the same hair, I guess to keep them at their most recognizable. Sue, on the other had had short curls, bobs, mid-length to long and flowy, even the infamous mullet. Always giving real woman tea.
    Wish that was the case now. They just give her long hair and call it a day most of the time. Artists should change things up!
    Last edited by Crimz; 01-09-2021 at 01:26 AM.

We can see hair as a "female" trait where style is something a woman cares more about than a man. Generally, though, women have had more and different varieties of hair styling than men. I suspect the original intent was to make Sue seem more like a "woman" and have her change up relatively often. Where character recognizance is an important aspect of the media, Sue being the woman with blonde hair in the same costume allowed Kirby (and others after him) to change things up. Now, having mansplained this, I look into my SJW bag and still can't find a good reason why Sue can't be more concerned about hairstyle than the average woman. It's not like that's her defining character feature.

I'm 65 and have read Marvel comics since childhood, but in earnest, age 12 around '67.

Sue has always been my favorite character in the FF and certainly one of a few favorite characters, though I love so many.

I think the often changes in hair and styles (but don't forget Janet's many outfits!) make Sue, the window or proxy for we the reader.

Real people, male or female do not exclusively wear their costumes in every panel, though as a kid I may never have thought of that.

So Sue and Janet and some other characters were more relatable perhaps.

All through my life, whenever I opened a new issue to briefly look before the read, I always looked for the panels and parts where Sue was using her powers.

This was especially true from around late # 150s when she got an upgrade from wearing the device (forget the name) during an Inhumans adventure.

From there, it seemed more writers - and artists { I love what Perez did to highlight her powers!} went for the new interpretations of her powers.

Remember when they were captured by the Skrulls - the aging ray gun storyline, (think) and she used a beam to replicate a key to get out of a room. Stuff like that.

Her powers are always awesomely displayed from around there and forward. Byrne was someone who really ran with that, but so did others.

She is awesomely powerful, despite verbiage that seems to indicate 'meh' on occasion. Sometimes her verbiage implies "I've never done this before/this is harder than anything I've done before" and these are ridiculous.

Back around #40 when the nuclear bomb almost killed them! She was the one who saved them despite them all losing their powers afterward.
    Various other explosions, sucked into space, beat down by the Hulk AND THE THING.

One of my favorite moments - Please someone find this panel and show it for me - during one of the Infinity Crusade or whatevers - the dopplegangers part but also

Sue is being accessed by Malice, who is her other self to me - and she wants to pick a fight with the Hulk!

She says something like she's not afraid of him and makes fists.

Even if that was sort of evil, I love that moment so much.
    Sue has actually proven her ferocious bravery many times too, but I won't go into that.

she just needs a writer and artist who really gets ALL this.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    The Claremont Anniversary Special is out next week!

Wish that was the case now. They just give her long hair and call it a day most of the time. Artists should change things up!
    Who is this cover artist? I definitely don't like Sue's face in this. Not sure what it is.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Sue's story in the Chris Claremont Anniversary Special was cute.

spoilers:

Seeing three versions of Sue fighting versions of Reed was interesting. I think the characterization of 60s Sue was a bit exaggerated as even back then she was brave. Seeing her tell herself to be brave and fight felt off coming from the girl who wouldn't hesitate to go up against villains or got angry when they tried to leave her out of dangerous missions.
    end of spoilers

Best part of the special:

Spectacular Member markhyperion's Avatar

It was ok. Short. It cleared up who Marvel Girl Valerias father was, which kinda disappoints me.

Quote Originally Posted by markhyperion View Post
    It was ok. Short. It cleared up who Marvel Girl Valerias father was, which kinda disappoints me.
    I'm not mad about that because it makes no sense for Sue to ever have romantic feelings for Doom.