Page 75 of 91 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 1351
  1. #1111
    Astonishing Member Journey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Waking Replica View Post
    Short preview + interview with Al Ewing about GOTG #14 and GOTG going forward!

    https://www.gamesradar.com/inside-th...ching-jackets/
    Doom is so damn dramatic the way he seems to be casually chatting with Teddy after throwing Lightning at him I cannot lmao.

  2. #1112
    Astonishing Member Journey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,693

    Default

    I really hope Eli shows up in the next episode like I just want them to set him up like they did Tommy & Billy they got hella clout from WandaVision I want Eli's treatment in the MCU to be better than it is in the comics.

  3. #1113
    Astonishing Member Journey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,693

    Default

    The controversy of the supposed whitewashing of both Maximoffs & Minimoffs in the MCU is some of the stupidest shit, I'm sorry it's literally dumb as hell they all have white skin tone in the comics literally all 4 of them since their debut it's more fake outrage just dumb.
    Last edited by Journey; 04-16-2021 at 08:42 PM.

  4. #1114
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    524

    Default

    I kind of have to agree with that, they had Wanda embrace her Romani routes once for three issues and that was it.

    Plus her constantly changing parentage makes the situation questionable as well.

  5. #1115
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    6,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    The controversy of the supposed whitewashing of both Maximoffs & Minimoffs in the MCU is some of the stupidest shit, I'm sorry it's literally dumb as hell they all have white skin tone in the comics literally all 4 of them since their debut it's more fake outrage just dumb.
    That's more of Marvel Comics' fault for not portraying them properly

  6. #1116
    Astonishing Member Journey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,693

    Default

    Their comic characters are white, the actress/actors who play them are white. The issue is Wanda & Pietro's comic heritage is so fucked up that it's hard to know where there from or their actual ethnicity. They're supposedly half-Romani, due to a retcon which means they have a small amount of flavor. So the argument is that they should’ve casted people with Romani or Indian heritage. The thing is that their complexion is Caucasian, it’s always been that way. If they had given them a darker complexion in the comics then I’d understand the issue. I personally think these whitewashing allegations are stupid, especially since they retconned the characters into people who lived in a Western European country, but in actuality that just feeds into the issue. They were white originally and because someone decided to retcon them after their creation people think that should have changed even though it never did in the comics the outrage is stupid & impractical.
    Last edited by Journey; 04-16-2021 at 09:16 PM.

  7. #1117
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    26,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
    Is this the first time an MCU actor shares the first name with their character?
    Not if the Netflix shows count.

    Jessica Jones (2015) features the character Will Simpson, played by Wil Traval. It's somewhat of an unusual example because, while the character is adapted from the comics, his first name is Frank there.
    https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheDanza
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  8. #1118
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    3,840

    Default

    So Eli didn't get to do much in TFATWS again and I don't expect him to at this point, tbh. I think this show is more of a set up than anything relevant for the character, and I guess that's ok as long as they plan on giving him a bigger role later on.

    One interesting thing we learned from the episode was that spoilers:
    Isaiah's first wife was established to be dead. It's not clear if she is Faith or someone else, but that could mean Eli's grandma is dead in the MCU and he wouldn't get to interact with her like in the comics, which is kinda sad.
    end of spoilers

    I'm interested in seeing more of the Bradley family dynamic in the future. Like, who are his parents? Does he have siblings? Young Avengers was so bad at exploring this in the comics. It's so insane that Eli has existed for 16 years and not ONCE he shared a SINGLE panel with his parents or siblings. I hope this is something the MCU rectifies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Although, I often wonder with these characters, how do they reconcile some of their religious beliefs with their heroic ideals?
    Anthony Oliveira actually talked about how Billy's judaism influenced the way he wrote him in ''My Drag Brunch With Loki'', and I thought that was pretty cool. Hopefully more writers do things like that with him in the future. I don't expect him to ever be a Daredevil or Ms. Marvel kind of character when it comes to his religion heavily influencing his story, but it would be nice to at least get something more substantial.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Nah I disagree. 99% of the comments about the Maximoff whitewashing are people mad at Elizabeth Olsen, who's not romani, playing Wanda. No much about how they were written to not actually be romani from Serbia but just white people from eastern europe. The reasons why X-Men movies didn't get backslash are plenty: First Class with Fassbender's casting came in 2011, the idea of jewish as an ethnicity and how that can be "whitewashed" is more complicated than romani, even back in 2015 the discussion about whitewashing wasn't big, and the Fox movies weren't the big phenomenom that the MCU is, etc.

    I'm sure that, if they cast a jewish actor as teenage Billy Maximoff, there would be plenty of people celebrating that and saying MCU Billy is jewish.
    That's because whitewashing is essentially different from ''religionwashing'' in the sense that once you whitewash a character, you can't really make them be POC within the story. They couldn't make Wanda suddenly be romani when Elizabeth is not. But they could've, and still can, make her jewish if they want to. So the hate towards the whitewashing ends up being instinctively connected to Olsen because they know the reason the character can never be a POC is because of the actress not being a POC. It's definitely not that they're mad at just the actress and not the character, because trust me, they ARE mad about that too. I see people expressing clearly their disappointment with MCU Wanda every single fucking day. They just take that out on the actress more often than not for the reasons I mentioned. A non-jewish actor playing a jewish character wouldn't get this level of backlash simply because his religious beliefs would not affect the character.

    As for your X-Men reasoning... that still doesn't explain the Moon Knight example I also gave. Oscar Isaac doesn't seem to identify as jewish at all, and no one is hating him the way they hate Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda. But if they cast a white man to play Doctor Doom, you can bet the same Wanda outrage will happen again. Actors having a different religion is definitely more accepted than actors having a different ethnicity from their characters. That's the reason why Marvel was able to get away with multiple actors on Ms. Marvel not being muslim, but they would never cast any fully caucasian person for those roles.

    And if they cast a jewish actor to play Billy I'm sure people will be thrilled... unless they realize the character is not jewish himself. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that chaos would ensue, and yes, I absolutely think the poor actor would be caught in the crossfire of hate, because he would likely be put in a position where he has to praise and defend his work ('cause let's be real, no Marvel actor talks shit about their role), and when that happens, I can see those same stans turning on him, calling him an apologist, saying he is a disappointment for ''defending jewish erasure'', maybe even calling him a ''jew traitor'' (because I don't doubt the gall of this fandom) and all that shit. I really don't see any scenario where Billy not being jewish won't result into a big freaking mess in the fandom, honestly.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 04-17-2021 at 05:51 AM.

  9. #1119
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    4,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    So Eli didn't get to do much in TFATWS again and I don't expect him to at this point, tbh. I think this show is more of a set up than anything relevant for the character, and I guess that's ok as long as they plan on giving him a bigger role later on.

    One interesting thing we learned from the episode was that spoilers:
    Isaiah's first wife was established to be dead. It's not clear if she is Faith or someone else, but that could mean Eli's grandma is dead in the MCU and he wouldn't get to interact with her like in the comics, which is kinda sad.
    end of spoilers

    I'm interested in seeing more of the Bradley family dynamic in the future. Like, who are his parents? Does he have siblings? Young Avengers was so bad at exploring this in the comics. It's so insane that Eli has existed for 16 years and not ONCE he shared a SINGLE panel with his parents or siblings. I hope this is something the MCU rectifies.



    Anthony Oliveira actually talked about how Billy's judaism influenced the way he wrote him in ''My Drag Brunch With Loki'', and I thought that was pretty cool. Hopefully more writers do things like that with him in the future. I don't expect him to ever be a Daredevil or Ms. Marvel kind of character when it comes to his religion heavily influencing his story, but it would be nice to at least get something more substantial.



    That's because whitewashing is essentially different from ''religionwashing'' in the sense that once you whitewash a character, you can't really make them be POC within the story. They couldn't make Wanda suddenly be romani when Elizabeth is not. But they could've, and still can, make her jewish if they want to. So the hate towards the whitewashing ends up being instinctively connected to Olsen because they know the reason the character can never be a POC is because of the actress not being a POC. It's definitely not that they're mad at just the actress and not the character, because trust me, they ARE mad about that too. I see people expressing clearly their disappointment with MCU Wanda every single fucking day. They just take that out on the actress more often than not for the reasons I mentioned. A non-jewish actor playing a jewish character wouldn't get this level of backlash simply because his religious beliefs would not affect the character.

    As for your X-Men reasoning... that still doesn't explain the Moon Knight example I also gave. Oscar Isaac doesn't seem to identify as jewish at all, and no one is hating him the way they hate Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda. But if they cast a white man to play Doctor Doom, you can bet the same Wanda outrage will happen again. Actors having a different religion is definitely more accepted than actors having a different ethnicity from their characters. That's the reason why Marvel was able to get away with multiple actors on Ms. Marvel not being muslim, but they would never cast any fully caucasian person for those roles.

    And if they cast a jewish actor to play Billy I'm sure people will be thrilled... unless they realize the character is not jewish himself. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that chaos would ensue, and yes, I absolutely think the poor actor would be caught in the crossfire of hate, because he would likely be put in a position where he has to praise and defend his work ('cause let's be real, no Marvel actor talks shit about their role), and when that happens, I can see those same stans turning on him, calling him an apologist, saying he is a disappointment for ''defending jewish erasure'', maybe even calling him a ''jew traitor'' (because I don't doubt the gall of this fandom) and all that shit. I really don't see any scenario where Billy not being jewish won't result into a big freaking mess in the fandom, honestly.
    Haven’t we dated Doom twice already with white actors from the previous films

  10. #1120
    Astonishing Member Journey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,693

    Default

    I've literally seen Julian & Jett get trashed on Twitter for not being Jewish it's so stupid, 1 there kids, & secondly Tommy isn't even Jewish in the comics so that's double stupid.

  11. #1121
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    6,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Anthony Oliveira actually talked about how Billy's judaism influenced the way he wrote him in ''My Drag Brunch With Loki'', and I thought that was pretty cool. Hopefully more writers do things like that with him in the future. I don't expect him to ever be a Daredevil or Ms. Marvel kind of character when it comes to his religion heavily influencing his story, but it would be nice to at least get something more substantial.
    Idk. Many religions have problematic and/or outdated beliefs and I don't think Marvel may want to go there.

  12. #1122
    ᱬ Master Of Chaos ᱬ Cruelrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    1,344

    Default

    As i said before, Evans quicksilver never got any backlash for not being romani or if it was it was the 1% of what Lizzie got...

    Anyways, i know marvel should have casted a romani woman but lizzie is making an incredible job and it's the only positive thing that the scarlet witch character Is getting in a while.

    Thanksfully there are more fans and locals that like her than the typical sjw on Twitter that are bashing her, surprisingly, MCU Wanda is very well liked now to the point that she trends on Twitter out of nowhere now and gets many positive viral tweets
    Check out my (616) Scarlet Witch Respect Thread:


  13. #1123
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    6,011

    Default

    We're still using the term SJW?

  14. #1124
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    We're still using the term SJW?
    Scarlet Justice Witch?

    Seriously though, nah, seems pointlessly divisive and designed to aggravate and belittle people. There are folks that get a little too intense and overwrought, but if I'm gonna talk smack about them, it's gonna be with my own words, like a big boy, not pre-packaged talking points from their political foes.

  15. #1125
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    6,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Scarlet Justice Witch?

    Seriously though, nah, seems pointlessly divisive and designed to aggravate and belittle people. There are folks that get a little too intense and overwrought, but if I'm gonna talk smack about them, it's gonna be with my own words, like a big boy, not pre-packaged talking points from their political foes.
    Exactly. People need to be specific.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •