Page 111 of 141 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 2114
    Astonishing Member

The addition of the Santana’s would be one thing (a reason is needed for sticking around 616 after all), but precious else of this run’s “additions” were needed.

Cliche evil sibling certainly wasn’t. I mean, why not just the Dystopian Parallel’s counterpart to America

I have to assume once Strange 2 comes out and America is the same America before this, this mini will be a distant nightmare, I wouldn't be shocked if the next writer just undoes a lot of this.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    I have to assume once Strange 2 comes out and America is the same America before this, this mini will be a distant nightmare, I wouldn't be shocked if the next writer just undoes a lot of this.
    They didn’t undo Carol being retconned in Life of Captain Marvel despite the movie definitely not making Carol a hybrid, I would say that the next writer will be lumbered with reconciling things than outright dropping them

The fact that Marvel decided that utterly retconning & depowering America and killing off Strange & Wanda in Ada Vance of DS2 rather indicates that Marvel might just be outright contrary to the MCU going forward

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Waking Replica View Post
    America #5 came out, and wow, what a crap ending imo.

spoilers:
    first, they mention the Demiurge by name, but make it seem like it was inside that version of the UP? Which I guess means that Billy's impact spans across the timeline like was said in vol 2, but it still makes little sense then why the writer went out of their way to change the UP like that if the Demiurge connection is technically the same. Also, this smells of straight washing America's family, her moms being this distant memory while she's enjoying a perfectly normal heteronormative family in the present. And let's not forget the worst aprt of it, they nerfed her to hell by the end?!?! Like, are they really that hell bent to make her street level?
    end of spoilers

Just an all around annoying end to something that, ironically enough given today's MCU offerings, could be a What If...? story. Like, what if America was less interesting? Anyway, if this got her fans, then good for her. Sucks that Gillen and Ewing's work with her pretty much means very little now.
    I cannot wrap my head around the decision to spoilers:
    get rid of her star portals. Like, of all the bad decisions.......... this one's gotta be the dumbest one. HOW do you remove the most iconic and recognizable visual aspect of America Chavez? It's the one thing that's been with her in literally every adaption of the character; in animation, video games, and yes, the MCU. We have seen a promotional image that all but confirms the star portals will be there too.
    end of spoilers

Which is just another reason why I don't think this retcon was motivated by synergy at all. They are literally trying to make her less ''multiversal''. It feels like they are actually going in the opposite direction of the MCU, for some odd reason. If it was just her origins being changed, that would be one thing. But this comic went above and beyond to erase EVERYTHING about America, down to her powerset. Weirdest **** Marvel has ever done.

And my fear is that this will do nothing other than harm her and her chances of actually being included in things in the future. Because America, as she stands right now, would've never been included on Gillen's Young Avengers or Ewing's The Ultimates. And how many of the street-level books would actually bother to use her, when you stop to think of it? It's not like the Spider-Office is dying to include her on things. I just.... I don't get this at all. Maybe it'll become clear in the future, but the endgame of this book is just a fucking mystery to me. I legit don't know what exactly they were trying to achieve there or what they expect to do with this character in the future.

Really not sure what the writers were going for here...

On a lighter note Billy's current actor Julien pissed off the Doom Patrol Fandom with an epic drag on Twitter lmao got grown adults mad he's so funny.

I swear to god sometimes it feels like the comics division does petty things to spite the MCU. This America debacle reminds me of when they turned Carol into a fascist, ruining her reputation just a few years before her movie debut.
    Last edited by Dipter; 08-12-2021 at 04:08 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Waking Replica View Post
    THE PREVIEW IS HEREEE!

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...-preview-pages

Looks like we'll get to see them showing each other their powers for the first time, Billy vs Dormmamu, and Teddy and Phyla meeting for the first time (on the battlefield)!!
    That art makes them look 12 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    I swear to god sometimes it feels like the comics division does petty things to spite the MCU. This America debacle reminds me of when they turned Carol into a fascist, ruining her reputation just a few years before her movie debut.
    I'm convinced Sam Raimi kicked C.B. Cebulski's puppy or something, because look at what they're doing to Strange, Wanda AND America in the comics right before their big MCU movie. I'm glad Billy and Tommy haven't been formally confirmed for that movie, otherwise I'm sure they would be catching a stray too. LMAO

Fantastic Member Waking Replica's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I'm convinced Sam Raimi kicked C.B. Cebulski's puppy or something, because look at what they're doing to Strange, Wanda AND America in the comics right before their big MCU movie. I'm glad Billy and Tommy haven't been formally confirmed for that movie, otherwise I'm sure they would be catching a stray too. LMAO
    I mean, I feel like they're technically the most protected of the bunch lmao. Billy's one half of the couple that Marvel uses to remind everyone they aren't homophobic these past few years (plus I feel like he and Teddy have good behind the scenes support to prevent stuff like that), and Tommy, as much as we like him, isn't important enough to warrant anything drastic. But then again, we still have to see how/if they're involved in ToM so knock on wood lol.

I cannot wrap my head around the decision to spoilers:
    get rid of her star portals. Like, of all the bad decisions.......... this one's gotta be the dumbest one. HOW do you remove the most iconic and recognizable visual aspect of America Chavez? It's the one thing that's been with her in literally every adaption of the character; in animation, video games, and yes, the MCU. We have seen a promotional image that all but confirms the star portals will be there too.
    end of spoilers

Which is just another reason why I don't think this retcon was motivated by synergy at all. They are literally trying to make her less ''multiversal''. It feels like they are actually going in the opposite direction of the MCU, for some odd reason. If it was just her origins being changed, that would be one thing. But this comic went above and beyond to erase EVERYTHING about America, down to her powerset. Weirdest **** Marvel has ever done.

And my fear is that this will do nothing other than harm her and her chances of actually being included in things in the future. Because America, as she stands right now, would've never been included on Gillen's Young Avengers or Ewing's The Ultimates. And how many of the street-level books would actually bother to use her, when you stop to think of it? It's not like the Spider-Office is dying to include her on things. I just.... I don't get this at all. Maybe it'll become clear in the future, but the endgame of this book is just a fucking mystery to me. I legit don't know what exactly they were trying to achieve there or what they expect to do with this character in the future.
    They are overthinking things, from Carol's weird Kree mom retcon to this to whatever they are plannign to do with Kamala.
    It's maddening.

Don't speak too soon, Marvel has been in a mood of breaking up queer couples lately.

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    They are overthinking things, from Carol's weird Kree mom retcon to this to whatever they are plannign to do with Kamala.
    It's maddening.
    I know a lot of people are comparing this America retcon to the Carol one, but I actually think what they're doing to America is a lot more drastic. With Carol, as much as they changed her specific power source, pretty much everything in her story stays intact. She still has all of the elements that make her Captain Marvel; Air Force Pilot, connection to the Kree, connection to Mar-Vell and his legacy, energy powers, etc. And she shares all of that with her MCU counterpart, even if their origin stories are different. But with America... they erased her whole reason to exist within the Young Avengers franchise, which was the book that actually made her who she is today. Then they also erased her whole reason to exist within The Ultimates, her other most popular work. Most stuff from her first solo is gone too. It doesn't look like she'll share much in common with her MCU counterpart either, since her whole deal there is the multiverse. So now she has her adoptive family and being a lesbian... with everything else gone. This book was, pretty much, a soft reboot of America Chavez as a character. And I think it's going to be a lot harder for her to comeback from it compared to Carol.

You think the book should've gone the same way as New Warriors, which was cancelled due to the pandemic?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    You think the book should've gone the same way as New Warriors, which was cancelled due to the pandemic?
    Eventhough I'm actually kinda annoyed I never got to read New Warriors for myself, this **** with America should have def been scrapped, how did the editors allow this to happen, the lesbian erasure is 1 thing, but like, even her last solo is called into question now was she just drunk imagining ****!

Tommy cameo in the Marauders 23 preview. Being dragged away from the crime scene.