Page 124 of 141 FirstFirst ... 2474114120121122123124125126127128134 ... LastLast
Results 1,846 to 1,860 of 2114

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I would actually be ok with MCU Teddy having energy-based powers in addition to his Skrull abilities, because this is something I think he should've had in the comics too. Both his siblings inherited energy-based powers, so I don't see why Teddy couldn't have that. Between that, Excelsior and the Nega Ring he has now, he has plenty of reason to have an energy-based powerset in the comics, and it bums me out they don't explore that. So I'd be fine with the MCU going in that direction. He really needs something from his Kree side that makes him stand out, since most writers make him rely mostly on his Skrull abilities.
    Completely agree. I’ve been waiting for the time when Teddy explores his paternal history and powers. Was hoping Empyre could have done something and doesn’t even look like Teddy will even be involved in the upcoming Marvels storyline either.

Extraordinary Member

I would actually be ok with MCU Teddy having energy-based powers in addition to his Skrull abilities, because this is something I think he should've had in the comics too. Both his siblings inherited energy-based powers, so I don't see why Teddy couldn't have that. Between that, Excelsior and the Nega Ring he has now, he has plenty of reason to have an energy-based powerset in the comics, and it bums me out they don't explore that. So I'd be fine with the MCU going in that direction. He really needs something from his Kree side that makes him stand out, since most writers make him rely mostly on his Skrull abilities.

Yeah, Teddy's Kree heritage in canon so far is his enhanced physical aptitude. And yeah, the Kree usually don't have the energy-based powers as their natural powerset, however, Mar-Vell went through several cosmic enhancements throughout his life that could've led his offspring to have that kind of power, so... Depending on who they decide to make his parents in the MCU, it's not an impossibility.
    Phyla and Gensis are genetically part Titan Eternal though and a large chunk of their energy based power came from stuff like Quantum Bands I think?

Also MCU Mar-Vell doesn't seem to have any power beyond being basic Kree.

Also if I am not mistaken Teddy is way stronger than your average Skrull, I kinda take that as his Kree side.(Or say Mar-Vell side, since he is damn strong even without his bands.)

I kinda like Teddy's current power set, especially paired with Billy, basically your classic knight and sorcerer pair. But again I would not mind "spellsword" Teddy either.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Phyla and Gensis are genetically part Titan Eternal though and a large chunk of their energy based power came from stuff like Quantum Bands I think?
    Yeah, since Teddy doesn't have an Eternal parent, like Phyla and Genis, he shouldn't have Eternal powers.

Mar-Vell's post-enhancement powers included solar absorption to fuel flight and strength (and toughness, since that seems to go along with strength). The rest of it, the energy bolts from the nega-bands, the cosmic awareness from Eon, wouldn't really pass on genetically (although Eon might choose to grant Teddy his dad's cosmic awareness for other reasons).

I feel like moderate Skrull shapeshifting, some degree of solar fueled enhanced strength and toughness and perhaps just enough flight to make those dinky useless wings he sometimes sprouts actually be enough to get a chonky kitten off the ground are more than enough, especially combined with a magic sword with arbitrary and undefined potential.

I kinda like Teddy's current power set, especially paired with Billy, basically your classic knight and sorcerer pair. But again I would not mind "spellsword" Teddy either.
    Agreed. I like that Teddy's a bit more grounded, since power levels like Billy's tend to get the nerf-hammer (as reality-warpers like Wanda and Franklin can attest...). If he doesn't aim too high, he might be able to evade the editors with a mad hate for powerful characters that aren't Omega mutants (like Monica Rambeau, recently toned down in power, or Dr. Strange, almost *constantly* getting nerfed and losing his magic).

If Billy & Teddy were taking a selfie -- and Teddy decided to do that thing where he forms another head (like he did in Emperor Hulkling, making Spiderman) who would Billy and Teddy take the selfie with?

Plz and Thx

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ibara View Post
    Completely agree. I’ve been waiting for the time when Teddy explores his paternal history and powers. Was hoping Empyre could have done something and doesn’t even look like Teddy will even be involved in the upcoming Marvels storyline either.
    I'm still holding onto hope that he will appear in the current Captain Marvel arc, since the Guardians will be guest stars. But yeah, he should've been considered one of the ''Marvels'' in the actual story. He has a much bigger connection to that legacy than Monica or Kamala ever did, and I don't think that him not using ''Marvel'' as a codename in this universe should be an excuse for him to be left out, because we know that the villains were after Phyla-Vell, who is a Captain Marvel from another universe. If they were after any ''Marvel'' from any universe, then it would make sense that Teddy would be a target too, because we know he actually becomes Captain Marvel in at least one AU.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post

Also MCU Mar-Vell doesn't seem to have any power beyond being basic Kree.

Also if I am not mistaken Teddy is way stronger than your average Skrull, I kinda take that as his Kree side.(Or say Mar-Vell side, since he is damn strong even without his bands.)

Phyla and Genis are likely not considered Eternals anymore after Gillen's current run. He decided to cut back on who can be canonically an Eternal, and it looks like the Vells didn't make the cut. Plus, the nature of their powers was never really clear. We never had any book explaining if their energy powers come from their mother or father, so it's up to anyone's guess what exactly is the source. I think they should say they take it from Mar-Vell so they would all have something in common. I like the idea of family members having similar powers (like the Summers brothers all having energy powers, or the Frost siblings being all telepaths). But even if he doesn't have natural energy powers, like I said, he has at least two different items that could grant him this type of ability. He should at least be making use of it.

And I'm aware that MCU Mar-Vell doesn't seem to be an enhanced Kree, but I also don't think she is going to be Teddy's parent because she's too old and died too long ago. I believe they will have to update his origins anyway, so there's still room to explore that with whoever ends up being his parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    If Billy & Teddy were taking a selfie -- and Teddy decided to do that thing where he forms another head (like he did in Emperor Hulkling, making Spiderman) who would Billy and Teddy take the selfie with?

Plz and Thx
    Well, I'm gonna need some context here. Why are they taking the selfie? Is it to post on social media? To show to someone specifically? I guess the answer could change depending on the scenario...

Ultimate Member

Does Hulkling actually count as a 'Marvel', though? It's not really an inherited title and as far as I remember he's never called himself that

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Does Hulkling actually count as a 'Marvel', though? It's not really an inherited title and as far as I remember he's never called himself that
    I don't think it's a matter of if he is, but that he should be. The Mar-Vell family and legacy has a long running history through Phyla and Genis (heck Genis even called himself Legacy). It's doubly strange that Teddy takes on the moniker "Hulkling" even though he has no relation to the Hulk family. While I don't think it's necessary for him to carry the "Marvel" name, he should be included in stories and events that relate to his family (with Phyla, Genis, and possibly even Mar-Vell playing a role in the upcoming storyline).

The Hulkling name is a legacy from when the original male Young Avengers were posing as things they were not. Wiccan was called Asgardian, pretending to be Thor's legacy rather than Scarlet Witch's. Iron Lad was supposedly an Iron Man legacy but was really Kang the Conqueror. Patriot was the legacy of Captain America - but not Steve Rogers. And Teddy was pretending to be a Hulk, when he's really Captain Marvel's legacy. The three later additions, Speed, Hawkeye and Stature, never pretended. Speed is Quicksilver's legacy, being his nephew, while Stature is Ant-Man's, utilising the Giant-Man powers. Kate was just a normal girl who happened to be good at archery, and had no connection to a previous hero whatsoever until Steve gave her the then-deceased Clint's equipment.

It's always been odd that when Billy changed his name, Teddy didn't also. Even now he asks to be called Emperor Hulkling instead of Dorrek-Vell.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

It's always been odd that when Billy changed his name, Teddy didn't also. Even now he asks to be called Emperor Hulkling instead of Dorrek-Vell.
    He does?
    Why do I have this lingering thought that he continually insists people call him Teddy?
    Am I making that up, fam?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ibara View Post
    I don't think it's a matter of if he is, but that he should be. The Mar-Vell family and legacy has a long running history through Phyla and Genis (heck Genis even called himself Legacy). It's doubly strange that Teddy takes on the moniker "Hulkling" even though he has no relation to the Hulk family. While I don't think it's necessary for him to carry the "Marvel" name, he should be included in stories and events that relate to his family (with Phyla, Genis, and possibly even Mar-Vell playing a role in the upcoming storyline).
    I never really thought he needed it, though. Hulkling is an odd name although I understand why he initially had it. But Marvel isn't entirely a family name, and Teddy's identity and characterization isn't entirely centered around it. Carol and Monica are Marvels but I don't think Teddy needs it.

I never really thought he needed it, though. Hulkling is an odd name although I understand why he initially had it. But Marvel isn't entirely a family name, and Teddy's identity and characterization isn't entirely centered around it. Carol and Monica are Marvels but I don't think Teddy needs it.
    He doesn't need to be a part of the Marvel family ala Kamala, Carol, and Monica. But it would be interesting to explore his identity through "Mar-Vell" stories i.e. the Vell family legacy like his siblings Phyla-Vell and Genis-Vell. His identity shouldn't center around being a 'Marvel' but omitting any relation because it hasn't properly been addressed isn't a great answer either. Properly exploring his connection to the Kree and his father can provide Teddy with interesting stories which until recently have played second fiddle to Billy's. Billy and Teddy can have stories that venture into new territory and also ones that explore their existing connections to a larger MU mythos. It isn't a zero sum game - no, Teddy shouldn't be involved in every 'Marvel' family story, but he should be in some, especially if it directly involves his family. Also I'm never going to say no to more Teddy (and Billy).

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post

Plz and Thx
    Dazzler, Lila Cheney, or Wonder Man or a real world celebrity. Maybe like Thanos or Mephisto as a joke?

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

It's not officially an inherited title, but Marvel certainly acted like it was a family thing for a while when they decided that both Genis and Phyla had some sort of ownership over the name just because they were children of Mar-Vell, even though they never met him. If that counts for them, then surely it should count for Teddy. He's supposed to be a Captain Marvel legacy, for all intents and purposes. When we had the Young Avengers Presents mini series years ago, each cover had a Young Avenger and the legacy they were supposed to represent as the background of the cover. Hulkling's cover had Captain Marvel in it, not the Hulk or anyone else. And then when his creator got to envision a future for him, he specifically wrote him as growing up to become Captain Marvel. And let's not forget he is currently the person who inherited Mar-Vell's iconic Nega Bands. I think this is a clear sign that they see him as a part of that legacy, so yeah, I do think he should count as a Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    In an alternative universe, Allan Heinberg would've gone with his original plan and Teddy would today be known as Emperor Chimera.... not sure if that would've been better, but at least we would've gotten rid of the damned Hulk name by now. lol

Astonishing Member

It's not officially an inherited title, but Marvel certainly acted like it was a family thing for a while when they decided that both Genis and Phyla had some sort of ownership over the name just because they were children of Mar-Vell, even though they never met him. If that counts for them, then surely it should count for Teddy.
    There is a bit of a difference though in that Genis and Phyla both had the legacy passed on to them by their mother -- Elysius passed on nega bands to Genis when she told him that Mar-Vell was his real father, and Elysius apparently trained Phyla extensively so that she would be ready to follow in her father's footsteps. Presumably after seeing how Genis struggled with it, first with his drunken party boy days and later when the cosmic awareness drove him insane, Elysius decided that it would be a good idea to prepare Phyla for the role rather than just throw her into it.

Teddy, on the other hand, grew up without either of his biological parents in his life, completely oblivious to his true background. He started a superheroing career before he ever knew of any connection to Mar-Vell, so his chosen identity didn't reflect his family origin. When his past did get revealed to him, it was his mainly his mother's side that was laying claim to him as part of the royal family.

That said, I do agree that Teddy is absolutely a part of the "Marvel" family. It may not be in his name, but it IS in his blood.
    Last edited by Dermie; 10-28-2021 at 10:17 PM. Reason: typo

Ultimate Member

Teddy getting more connections to the Marvel universe is a good idea. I guess I just never bought into the whole family legacy thing. But tbh I never cared about Mar-Vell anyway

I wouldn't mind him getting a new name because Hulkling seems odd now.