Page 24 of 141 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Besides the fact I don't think this is the case in general, there's no way Marvel Comics knew about it beforehand and acted on it in any way months ago. They haven't done ANYTHING in regards to synergy with WandaVision. They retconned Carol into a half-Kree months before the movie where the climax revolved around her finding out she's NOT kree with "I'm only human" as a major line. I wouldn't imagine they get notices of castings, especially for (at this point) minor characters.
    Yeah, that's a good point too. Unless they had been planning for a while to cast a non-white actor as Hulkling, but I'm still doubtful.
    Last edited by MasterOfMagnetism; 02-02-2021 at 05:09 PM.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    Ok, this is gonna' be a long post, so bear with me.

When the rumour about that actor Isaiah Knott being Hulkling on WandaVision showed up on MarvelStudiosSpoilers reddit, surprise surprise, straight people had some opinions... about about it. I saw some people, who clearly f***ing don't know anything about Hulkling from the comics, saying stuff like; "it doesn't matter if the actor is Asian, he's green!" and "no one cares about Hulkling, he's blank slate they can do whatever they want with!".

Now personally I really didn't give the idea that he's playing Hulkling much credence, I still don't really. I think it's more likely that he's just a gay townsperson who will be involved in Billy's coming-out story.

However... recently Kevin Feige did an interview where he said; "you won't have to wait very long" for a Southeast Asian superhero. https://variety.com/2021/streaming/a...ch-1234897945/ And I noticed one of the mods over at MarvelStudiosSpoilers reddit point out that this might, emphasis on might, be an implication that Isaiah is indeed playing Hulkling.

Another thing that made me think is; we know that Marvel comics often synergizes with the MCU and because of COVID a lot of the MCU slate has been pushed back and we still haven't seen projects that were it not for COVID we would've seen a while ago, because of this there was actually a development in Marvel comics that low-key confirmed an alleged plot leak from Shang-Chi (although I haven't noticed anyone pick up on this yet), and during Empyre some people noticed that Marvel has been portraying Hulkling with green skin more than his usual default Caucasian appearance.

Now I can't help but wonder if they really are going to race-swap Hulkling and justify it as; "Well his true form is green."

Again, I'm not convinced of this but... I'm not convinced it isn't impossible either.
    A lot of people just interpreted what Feige said as a nod to Agents Of Atlas, specially since it was rumored that they could be getting a show on Disney+. That's what I thought too.

Isaiah literally replied to a bunch of people on Instagram reinforcing he's not playing Hulkling. He even said his character doesn't have a name on the show. So I think we can put this theory to rest at this point. Unless you wanna go down the conspiracy rabbit role and argue that he may be lying to cover up his role, but like I said before, I doubt whoever got cast as Teddy would even be allowed to be openly discussing his role on the show like that.

Raceswaps rarely affect the comics, unless they create a brand new character to replace the original one like they did with Nick Fury or Valkyrie. But there is no way they would replace Teddy, knowing how important his relationship with Billy is. Makkari seems to be the exception here as a character who literally just had their race changed overnight, but that's also largely due to the nature of the character being an Eternal and Kieron Gillen portraying the species as being the kind who transcends gender/race. That's not really something you can do with a character like Teddy, since he was raised as human in a human society, which is a big part of his identity. Making a common white boy just wake up one day and decide he wants to wear a darker/asian face just because he felt like it might not send the best message here. I don't see them going through all this trouble just for synergy's sake, honestly.

As for Teddy being green during Empyre, Valerio Schiti himself said it was purely a stylistic choice in the main book. Teddy was white during most of Lords Of Empyre: Emperor Hulkling, a tie-in for the SAME event, but just with a different artist. He was also white in at least two different covers for Empyre: Avengers Aftermath. So it's not like there was a rule that he only could be green. I don't think it means anything other than different artists having different takes on the character design.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 02-03-2021 at 01:17 AM.

Tommy didn't appear much in X-Factor #7 but spoilers:
    he did meet Northstar ! Now I want JP to take Tommy under his wing
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    Tommy didn't appear much in X-Factor #7 but spoilers:
    he did meet Northstar ! Now I want JP to take Tommy under his wing
    end of spoilers
    I know what we got was lovely though my boy deserves more time to shine still no definitive answer on the whole mutant thing he walked into Krakoa & he left Krakoa all we know so it's still up in the air y'all, being the unknown twin worked in his favor this time though. David was also rushing to get him off that island, but JP welcoming him to the Boneyard anytime leaves some room for mess.

Fantastic Member Waking Replica's Avatar

Looks like America's new mini is going to be retconning parts of her origin. Wanna bet it'll be interestingly close to her upcoming MCU origins? Wonder what's gonna be removed? My bet's anything related to her solo, and hopefully they keep the Demiurge stuff, since we never got to see interactions based on that with her and Billy outside of the reveal.

https://twitter.com/LetsTalkMAC/stat...902465536?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by waking replica View Post
    looks like america's new mini is going to be retconning parts of her origin. Wanna bet it'll be interestingly close to her upcoming mcu origins? Wonder what's gonna be removed? My bet's anything related to her solo, and hopefully they keep the demiurge stuff, since we never got to see interactions based on that with her and billy outside of the reveal.

https://twitter.com/letstalkmac/stat...902465536?s=19
    #blessed !!!!!!

I was SO excited for the solo once upon a time and then it happened and then I was no longer excited.

Now I am SO excited for THIS solo. haha. Here's hoping. I'd really love for them to keep the "Demiurge is my hero" stuff. That was so charming.

What does the image say? its too blurry for me to read?
    Last edited by Fokken; 02-03-2021 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Waking Replica View Post
    Looks like America's new mini is going to be retconning parts of her origin. Wanna bet it'll be interestingly close to her upcoming MCU origins? Wonder what's gonna be removed? My bet's anything related to her solo, and hopefully they keep the Demiurge stuff, since we never got to see interactions based on that with her and Billy outside of the reveal.

Considering America's push to stardom began with YA Volume 2 & securing Billy's future as the Demiurge (not the overrated friendship with Kate) was her entire motivation i don't think they'll retcon that. Her solo was so convoluted making her powers just more complicated than need be.

So about X-Factor today I really love this book and what it"s doing for David as a character, and it's making me appreciate the Thinkfast ship a little more, especially after today before I never cared one way or another. I got to say though I was kind of shocked JP/Northstar had no idea who Tommy was to the point he said he was welcome back anytime. Like I know he's the unknown twin but I kind of figured since moms was public enemy number 1 her kids would be at the least known by the general public, especially since Exodus in great detail goes in on the history of M-Day & the Minimoffs were pretty much the trigger that set Wanda off and led to it IDK just thought that was a little weird but I loved the Tommy, Northstar dynamic
    Last edited by Journey; 02-03-2021 at 08:47 AM.

Considering how they retconned Carol's origin (which did not jive at all with her MCU origin), I expect they have no idea what the MCU has planned for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    So about X-Factor today I really love this book and what it"s doing for David as a character, and it's making me appreciate the Thinkfast ship a little more, especially after today before I never cared one way or another. I got to say though I was kind of shocked JP/Northstar had no idea who Tommy was to the point he said he was welcome back anytime. Like I know he's the unknown twin but I kind of figured since moms was public enemy number 1 her kids would be at the least known by the general public, especially since Exodus in great detail goes in on the history of M-Day & the Minimoffs were pretty much the trigger that set Wanda off and led to it IDK just thought that was a little weird but I loved the Tommy, Northstar dynamic
    Northstar not knowing who Tommy is? Not surprising. JeanPaul tends to be self involved. He meets a boy (Tommy) on Krakoa, who is involved with David, who demonstrates powers and an enthusiasm/apprecation OF JeanPaul? I wouldn't necessarily question it if I were JeanPaul either.

I'd be very curious to see what ol' Exodus is teaching Krakoan's on the intricacies of Wanda's family tree, etc.
    Last edited by Fokken; 02-03-2021 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Northstar not knowing who Tommy is? Not surprising. JeanPaul tends to be self involved. He meets a boy (Tommy) on Krakoa, who is involved with David, who demonstrates powers and an enthusiasm/apprecation OF JeanPaul? I wouldn't necessarily question it if I were JeanPaul either.

I'd be very curious to see what ol' Exodus is teaching Krakoan's on the intricacies of Wanda's family tree, etc.
    Yeah he had no idea who Tommy was and they talked for a good minute, considering he looks exactly like a young Pietro if nothing else it was weird to me he didn't put 2 and 2 together, & David was trying to get Tommy to leave (most likely before the Wanda connection became a thing and problems arise) also though not specifically said I'm going to assume Tommy is still a mutant, because KIB Marauders we Sage moniter & control the gates so either Krakoan security is just trash or Tommy either popped through a gate or snuck on the island and came up as a mutant, or again their security is **** & the son of an enemy of the state was able to sneak on the island leave at his leisure while getting invitation to return whenever he pleases.

Yeah he had no idea who Tommy was and they talked for a good minute, considering he looks exactly like a young Pietro if nothing else it was weird to me he didn't put 2 and 2 together, & David was trying to get Tommy to leave (most likely before the Wanda connection became a thing and problems arise) also though not specifically said I'm going to assume Tommy is still a mutant, because KIB Marauders we Sage moniter & control the gates so either Krakoan security is just trash or Tommy either popped through a gate or snuck on the island and came up as a mutant, or again their security is **** & the son of an enemy of the state was able to sneak on the island leave at his leisure while getting invitation to return whenever he pleases.
    Ooooh that's a really good point. I forgot that they have a system in place tracking who comes and goes via gates.
    I guess if he's fast enough to run across the ocean to get there, he's possibly fast enough to not even register(??) on their radar as arriving or leaving? Begs the question whether they have tech that PINGS if/when non-mutants are on the island?

About the whole "young Pietro" thing, again, I don't know how extensively Jean Paul has been educated in the intricacies of the Maximoffs, nor whether he cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Ooooh that's a really good point. I forgot that they have a system in place tracking who comes and goes via gates.
    I guess if he's fast enough to run across the ocean to get there, he's possibly fast enough to not even register(??) on their radar as arriving or leaving? Begs the question whether they have tech that PINGS if/when non-mutants are on the island?

About the whole "young Pietro" thing, again, I don't know how extensively Jean Paul has been educated in the intricacies of the Maximoffs, nor whether he cares.
    Maybe hmm my curiosity is so pegged.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I know what we got was lovely though my boy deserves more time to shine still no definitive answer on the whole mutant thing he walked into Krakoa & he left Krakoa all we know so it's still up in the air y'all, being the unknown twin worked in his favor this time though. David was also rushing to get him off that island, but JP welcoming him to the Boneyard anytime leaves some room for mess.
    Disappointed but not surprised that Tommy was used as a prop again. That's all they ever do with him these days. Also, if no answer was given about him being a mutant or not, why the hell was Leah saying ''it was a mystery'' on Twitter like that was going to be addressed? I really hope she has an actual story in mind for Tommy and is not just baiting people.

I was fully expecting some retcons in this book, but I really thought it was going to be more about her ethnicity/heritage than her powers. Although I guess they could retcon both and create a connection there. I do hope they keep the Utopian Parallel/Demiurge stuff, 'cause that was basically what put America on the map as a character. If something has to be sacrificed, I think everyone agrees it should be the Gabby Rivera stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Considering how they retconned Carol's origin (which did not jive at all with her MCU origin), I expect they have no idea what the MCU has planned for her.
    True, but Kevin Feige has been promoted as the CCO of the comics division ever since, so MAYBE they have more advanced knowledge of the movies this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Disappointed but not surprised that Tommy was used as a prop again. That's all they ever do with him these days. Also, if no answer was given about him being a mutant or not, why the hell was Leah saying ''it was a mystery'' on Twitter like that was going to be addressed? I really hope she has an actual story in mind for Tommy and is not just baiting people.
    She said its a mystery because it ....is?
    She's not gonna say yes or no via twitter. And perhaps she will be addressing it later. Or maybe she doesn't have clearance..... (yet?)