Page 29 of 141 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast

Do we even need new characters to be added to the cast? For what when theirs so many stories to tell with the old one, just bring back Tommy, Eli, Kate, America, Noh-Var, & Cassie have Billy & Teddy make regular appearances maybe even a help them in space ark, and if new faces is that needed add the siblings from West Coast Avengers since they already got saddled with the team in Empyre anyway. The YA doesn't need new blood IMO

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Am I the only one that wanted Sylvia Enchantress to join the Young Avengers
    No, I would love that Sylvie becomes part of the team but at first maybe she needs some guide and training from the Original Enchantress, Amora to be stronger than actually she is.

For me, Young Avengers isn't the franchise it's the cast - it just wouldn't be the Young Avengers to me without a majority of the team being the original cast. And I agree that there are still stories to be told without a slew of new characters to crowd out the team. Eli, Cassie, and/or Tommy should take center stage with America, Billy, Teddy, and Kate playing significant supporting roles. I'd add maybe one new character at most.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

I kinda don't mind the idea of a "new generation" of YA, especially since most of them aren't really young anymore.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Do we even need new characters to be added to the cast? For what when theirs so many stories to tell with the old one, just bring back Tommy, Eli, Kate, America, Noh-Var, & Cassie have Billy & Teddy make regular appearances maybe even a help them in space ark, and if new faces is that needed add the siblings from West Coast Avengers since they already got saddled with the team in Empyre anyway. The YA doesn't need new blood IMO
    I mean, we don't NEED new characters. If we ever get a relaunch, I definitely think the classic members should be the priority and focus for the first few arcs. But assuming we have a longer Young Avengers run than usual, then I think it would be a natural step for the team to get new members eventually. The Avengers legacy is pretty extensive, and I think that could be reflected in a Young Avengers book.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    I kinda don't mind the idea of a "new generation" of YA, especially since most of them aren't really young anymore.
    There were all those other names on Vision's list, back in the day, and I wouldn't mind a few new faces, perhaps loosely based / inspired by other early Avengers like Hercules, Black Widow, Black Panther, Swordsman, Moondragon, Hellcat, etc.

That said, I'm not *NEAR* done with the original cast, so I don't want that any time soon. Eli and Tommy in particular have barely even had their stories started yet!

I'd love them to get new names. I really don't like the names Hulking or iron lad. I know I'm probably in the minority there

Extraordinary Member

To me Young Avengers should be that...young and part of an Avengers legacy. Most of the original cast has moved on. Having said that...I do think some of the original members should be there...Kate, Eli and Cassie...maybe Jonas in a new, less advanced body...along with new members. And down the line when some of them move on it may be Cassie and 2 or 3 of this new roster who assemble a new team of Avengers legacy characters.

As well...imagine if Hercules or Namor had a kid who was nearly as powerful as them...and would be their equal when they reached adulthood...who hated their father for pretty much abandoning them.

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    I'd love them to get new names. I really don't like the names Hulking or iron lad. I know I'm probably in the minority there
    100% agree. Hulkling's in desperate need of new codename.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    I see that, they've outgrown being "Young" Avengers. So I wouldn't mind the idea of a new Young Avengers with a different cast. Still would like the majority of the team to stick together be it in WCA, New, etc.. And hopefully not on some "Academy" team - would rather have them on their own adventures than "teaching the next generation."

Extraordinary Member

I think new characters are important to bring in new opinions and beliefs. Most of the OG YA are from the NYC area...so pretty much are on the same page with regards to political opinioins...

But what about a new character from more conservative areas? Champions did the school shooting issue at Miles school....but what about a story that affects a team member that is pro-gun. Cassie's mom Peggy is home alone when a couple of criminals break in to get payback against Cassie's step dad Blake who is a cop and Peggy has to shoot them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I think new characters are important to bring in new opinions and beliefs. Most of the OG YA are from the NYC area...so pretty much are on the same page with regards to political opinioins...

But what about a new character from more conservative areas? Champions did the school shooting issue at Miles school....but what about a story that affects a team member that is pro-gun. Cassie's mom Peggy is home alone when a couple of criminals break in to get payback against Cassie's step dad Blake who is a cop and Peggy has to shoot them.
    I mean respectfully speaking people usually read comics to destress and avoid political stuff I personally would not be interested in conservative views in my comics especially YA

Fantastic Member Waking Replica's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ibara View Post
    100% agree. Hulkling's in desperate need of new codename.

I see that, they've outgrown being "Young" Avengers. So I wouldn't mind the idea of a new Young Avengers with a different cast. Still would like the majority of the team to stick together be it in WCA, New, etc.. And hopefully not on some "Academy" team - would rather have them on their own adventures than "teaching the next generation."
    I've been thinking lately that he could go by something related to Arthurian legend, given he's basically space King Arthur. Maybe it's cause I've been playing so much yugioh duel links, but there's a set of cards where their names are spins of classic Arthur characters, not unlike the Knights of the Infinite! So he could get an Arthur related name! And even Billy could get a new codename given some people's reservations over Wiccan. Something Merlin/Guinevere related if we go by Arthur legend.

Billy and Teddy have ownership over the "New New Avengers" name from the team they formed after Roberto fired them and Doreen from AIM in New Avengers. I know it's silly, but it's charming lol.

I'll say this as respectfully as I can, but... I don't think those kinds of ideals belong in a Young Avengers book. I think you could make the case for the mainline book given you have heroes that represent those sorts of backgrounds, but YA has always been a safe space (pun not intended) for queer fans, and bringing any shade of conservative ideals feels like a misunderstanding of what makes the team likeable to a lot of people. Plus, I highly doubt the YA appeals to that demographic, regardless of how many new members you add in, so adding in a storyline or character like that would just drive away the people who would've gotten the book in the first place; meanwhile, it'll get blasted either way by those types of comic readers that conservative ideals would appeal to. A lose-lose situation all around.

Now, if they get like a villain's kid and bring nuance and storylines pertaining to their beliefs, sure. That's removed enough from real world politics where I could digest it, albeit not be excited as I would be.
    Last edited by Waking Replica; 02-08-2021 at 05:15 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I mean respectfully speaking people usually read comics to destress and avoid political stuff I personally would not be interested in conservative views in my comics especially YA
    Quote Originally Posted by Waking Replica View Post
    I'll say this as respectfully as I can, but... I don't think those kinds of ideals belong in a Young Avengers book. I think you could make the case for the mainline book given you have heroes that represent those sorts of backgrounds, but YA has always been a safe space (pun not intended) for queer fans, and bringing any shade of conservative ideals feels like a misunderstanding of what makes the team likeable to a lot of people. Plus, I highly doubt the YA appeals to that demographic, regardless of how many new members you add in, so adding in a storyline or character like that would just drive away the people who would've gotten the book in the first place; meanwhile, it'll get blasted either way by those types of comic readers that conservative ideals would appeal to. A lose-lose situation all around.

Now, if they get like a villain's kid and bring nuance and storylines pertaining to their beliefs, sure. That's removed enough from real world politics where I could digest it, albeit not be excited as I would be.
    I personally believe that comics should be apolitical and just tell compelling stories...but if they are going to portray one side I feel they have a responsibility to portray the other. Arrow did this very well with their gun episode.

I personally believe that comics should be apolitical and just tell compelling stories...but if they are going to portray one side I feel they have a responsibility to portray the other. Arrow did this very well with their gun episode.
    Well different strokes for different folks I guess but they can do that with another team YA is just not the brand, that goes against everything the team stands for.

Quote Originally Posted by Waking Replica View Post
    I've been thinking lately that he could go by something related to Arthurian legend, given he's basically space King Arthur. Maybe it's cause I've been playing so much yugioh duel links, but there's a set of cards where their names are spins of classic Arthur characters, not unlike the Knights of the Infinite! So he could get an Arthur related name! And even Billy could get a new codename given some people's reservations over Wiccan. Something Merlin/Guinevere related if we go by Arthur legend.
    I really like that idea. Some spin on Pendragon or some Arthurian-Kree/Skrull title for the "King of Space" or wielder of the star-sword. I actually think it would be cool if Billy became Merlin, as if it were a title passed down to prominent cosmic magicians throughout time instead of the name of a singular person.

To be fair, I don't think they've told any "liberal" stories either. The unfortunate matter that LGBTQIA representation is somehow inherently political is a different discussion. Otherwise, the Young Avengers have been telling compelling stories that represent a diverse group of characters.