Page 61 of 141 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111 ... LastLast

I'm black I look at things literally if your skin is White you're white to me, if you mixed you mixed, if you latino you latino, and so forth you can have the heritage but if your "SKIN" is a certain pigmentation that's how I see you. IMO

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I'm black I look at things literally if your skin is White you're white to me, if you mixed you mixed, if you latino you latino, and so forth you can have the heritage but if your "SKIN" is a certain pigmentation that's how I see you. IMO
    Ok. It's true skin color and ethnicity aren't a 1 to 1 match

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    As a black guy, I never saw her as black. Always saw her as Hispanic/Latina.

I’m not sure where people see her as black came from, in all her art renditions.
    I don't blame people, and I'm gonna use 3 examples here of her recent book as why.

Here's America with a dark red/orange-like skin, almost as if she's supposed to be native-latina: https://cdn.archonia.com/images/1-10...usa-2-of-5.jpg

Here's America with facial features that make her look like afro-latina: https://i0.wp.com/blog.gocollect.com.../STL158053.jpg

And here's America looking like her original light brown self: https://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i...2bdd/clean.jpg

Like I said, these are all from the SAME BOOK, and she manages to look like from a different ethnicity in all three of them. It's a real problem, and something that will keep confusing people as long as Marvel don't have some basic artistic guidelines for characters of color.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    So I was just randomly thinking that we've considered Teddy meeting up with Phyla (soon to happen in Guardians of the Galaxy) or Genis, the other kids of Mar-Vell, but I don't know if there's been any thought of Billy and Tommy meeting up with TJ (Nocturne), daughter of Wanda and Kurt Wagner, from another continuity, who is kinda/sorta their half-sister (certainly as much related to them as they are to each other, or to Wanda).
    I think people don't think much about that because of the AU element of it. I, for one, find it weird to act like those characters are ''family'' to the 616 characters (which is why the whole Summers-Grey family thing they're trying to sell on the X-Men titles feels fake AF to me) when they are from completely different universes. Granted, the current Phyla-Vell is also from an AU, but in this case at least she does have a 616 counterpart, so I think it's easier for people to digest her (and there's also the fact that Al Ewing brought 616 Moondragon back and merged her with her AU self, so I think there's hope from fans that he'll do the same with Phyla).

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Yeah, I'm latino myself and I'm white as a paper. I would never consider myself a POC just for that, even if I likely do have some black heritage from my dad's side.
    I'm on the same boat, but with asian heritage instead. I guess I'm technically 1/4 asian, since my grandma was VERY japanese looking, but with the whole mixing in my family, I came out looking more white than anything. I have no issue saying I'm mixed, but I don't feel comfortable self-identifying as asian because socially and culturally speaking, I really don't feel that way. So I just say I'm white most of the time. lol
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 03-27-2021 at 05:40 PM.

Ultimate Member

Did the artists ever say what exactly she is supposed to look like?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Did the artists ever say what exactly she is supposed to look like?
    Yes.....Latina

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Yes.....Latina
    I guess that's led to the current situation. Not especially helpful. All in all this is really weird to me

Uhm excuse me Cheung Gave us Tommy 6 days ago and no one bothered to inform me!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMtDHRvD..._web_copy_link

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Uhm excuse me Cheung Gave us Tommy 6 days ago and no one bothered to inform me!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMtDHRvD..._web_copy_link
    We wanted to let you have the joy of discovering it for yourself?

Yeah... That's totally the reason...

Ultimate Member

That's interesting. I'm biracial so I identify as both. I think as humans we're more mixed than we may assume.

Do you think the artists need to be a bit more conscious about racially ambiguous characters?
    There needs to be a set of guideline for each character.

In other words Marvel needs to give artist a starting point to go from.

Miles Morales-we have Bendis/current version, Spiderverse movie version and PS5 Miles.

America-needs one. Does she look like America from Ugly Betty/Super Store or Erica Gimple/Irene Cara from Fame or Lucy Fernandez from 1980s Degrassi or Naya Rivera from Glee?

I would say she would look like a combination of the last 4 I listed. But there needs to be a standard guide.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    There needs to be a set of guideline for each character.

In other words Marvel needs to give artist a starting point to go from.

Miles Morales-we have Bendis/current version, Spiderverse movie version and PS5 Miles.

America-needs one. Does she look like America from Ugly Betty/Super Store or Erica Gimple/Irene Cara from Fame or Lucy Fernandez from 1980s Degrassi or Naya Rivera from Glee?

I would say she would look like a combination of the last 4 I listed. But there needs to be a standard guide.
    Maybe Marvel should seek some outside guidance for that. Idk what it would be though

The Young Avengers America is the most iconic to me and I'd be fine with that being her design standard, but that's probably because that was THE book that made her who she is today, so, in a lot of ways, I consider it to be the ''blueprint'' for her. I get that some people have gotten attached to other interpretations of the character, though, specially the ones that made her more dark-skinned and with stronger facial features.

As a compromise, I think Joe Quinones probably has the best design for America as an in-between of all of her designs, so I'd be fine with that being the standard too:

Not that I expect this to be ''fixed'' anytime soon. Marvel still struggles with how STORM, their most iconic WOC, is supposed to look like, so I don't think the inconsistencies with MAC will just magically go away, specially with her having such an undefined and vague latina identity.

Ultimate Member

Black Panther generally got it right IMO so maybe they can learn from that.

If she was raised by Puerto Ricans, maybe they should look to Puerto Ricans as a reference point. But as you said, Latino is a vague identity

https://twitter.com/MarvelUnlimited/...36638599168000

I just can't with Marvel posting a One Direction meme with the Young Avengers in the year of our lord 2021..... and still no new book. At least they're getting that promo.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

From outer space?
    My guess is that Teddy is going to be the grandson of Talos and his wife through their daughter. She, as I recall, was probably in her early teens during the movie. Honestly I would love for it to be that he was the Grandson of Mar-Vel through her son Genis-Vell and Talos's daughter. It would make the most sense and be an easy connection. Just Make Genis be around the same age as Talos's daughter and the two hooked up and sent Teddy to live with his grandparents on earth while they help Nick fury with the whole Sword thing. It simplifies his backstory and connects him to Captain Marvel.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    My guess is that Teddy is going to be the grandson of Talos and his wife through their daughter. She, as I recall, was probably in her early teens during the movie. Honestly I would love for it to be that he was the Grandson of Mar-Vel through her son Genis-Vell and Talos's daughter. It would make the most sense and be an easy connection. Just Make Genis be around the same age as Talos's daughter and the two hooked up and sent Teddy to live with his grandparents on earth while they help Nick fury with the whole Sword thing. It simplifies his backstory and connects him to Captain Marvel.
    I think they'll probably link him to Mar-Vell in some capacity