Page 87 of 141 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197137 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 2114

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I'm sure he does but he's also a kid **** happens
    Yeah and if Tom Holland hasn't been kicked out for making spoilers in interviews, I think that the kid will be fine.

Not to mention the recent Alfred Molina interview where he dropped a bunch of spoilers for Spider-Man 3. Marvel needs to throw in the towel with their attempts to keep things spoiler-free.

America Chavez #3 preview
    https://aiptcomics.com/2021/04/30/ma...-in-the-usa-3/
    Woah. Major origin retcon!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member Waking Replica's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    On one hand, I'm glad they kept her mom's, on the other hand.... Yikes. This (seemingly) invalidates the entirety of America's involvement in YA vol 2 :/// spoilers:
    I *guess* this was a way to combat the whole cultural appropriation thing with her, but still. This is such a drastic, and let's be real MCU driven, retcon. Hopefully this doesn't mean the Demiurge is made up/fake, cause that's screwing with Billy too.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Waking Replica; 04-30-2021 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Waking Replica View Post
    On one hand, I'm glad they kept her mom's, on the other hand.... Yikes. This (seemingly) invalidates the entirety of America's involvement in YA vol 2 :/// spoilers:
    I *guess* this was a way to combat the whole cultural appropriation thing with her, but still. This is such a drastic, and let's be real MCU driven, retcon. Hopefully this doesn't mean the Demiurge is made up/fake, cause that's screwing with Billy too.
    end of spoilers
    I agree of all the **** to retcon from her first solo this is what she touches? If it changes Billy's Demiurge involvement it fucks up the entirety of America's foundation from Volume 2 which is what put her on the map all the **** they could have erased from her previous solo & they change the whole utopian parallel come on now Miss Kalinda I thought u were better than Rivera....

I'm not gonna jump the gun & assume this heavily effects Billy's Demiurge destiny as that actually played out, in Vol 2 & Loki also referenced it not just America. Also I refuse to believe my Kings Demiurge God amongst peasants destiny is about to be retconned in some comic barely anyone is reading. I blatantly refuse this i won't acknowledge it!!! How dare she even have the audacity to scrap a planet of lesbians made by a gay icon in favor of seemingly making America some nut job whacko who made that all up! That's somehow homophobic! Lesbian planet erasure!!!!
    Last edited by Journey; 04-30-2021 at 07:46 PM.

Well, now we know why the book is called Made in the USA, I guess.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I'm surprised that they're choosing to spoil something like that on an official preview, so maybe this isn't the retcon we think it is? Like, maybe there is more to the story. Maybe the Chavezes are still from the Utopian Parallel, but they decided to go to Earth before for some reason? That would still be a retcon (since it was previously established no one ever left the UP until America fled), albeit a less serious one than saying that her entire home world never existed. Let's see where they go with this...

Quote Originally Posted by Waking Replica View Post
    end of spoilers
    I'm not against America having stronger ties to Earth, but yeah, in retrospect, her entire motivation in Gillen's YA crumbles if they're just straight-up erasing her previous origin like that. On one hand, it could be good for the character and her own personal lore, but for those of us who wanted more Billy/America stories exploring their connection to each other through the Demiurge, it would definitely be a punch to the gut. The unfortunate part is that Marvel wasn't even doing anything with that connection in the first place, which is probably the only reason why Kalinda might've felt comfortable retconning it.

And I don't think that affects Billy's future as a whole. Maybe just the parts concerning the Utopian Parallel, but there are other evidences that the Demiurge is still a thing. We know Loki knows about it, we saw him being called the Demiurge on that dimension with the little green creatures (there was literally an entire constellation forming his image there), and we actually saw Billy tapping into the Demiurge powers. How could that even be faked? And then we had that AU written by Al Ewing in which the Demiurge rewrote the laws of magic and made Doctor Doom lose his powers. And there was also the stuff on his Ultimates run in which it was implied that there is a place called the ''Dystopian Parallel'', as an opposite of the Utopian Parallel. So even if America's UP was fake, maybe there is a real one out there that inspired the fake story? Anyway, there is still way too much evidence out there, and it would be kinda of a dick move of Kalinda to pull Billy through any potential retcon she's doing when the story's not even about him.

Well, now we know why the book is called Made in the USA, I guess.
    I had a feeling from the beginning that the name would have an in-story reason.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 05-01-2021 at 02:55 AM.

Well that's weird, I wonder how this will play out.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

America really had a great unique origin story & that really looks like its about to be destroyed in favor of making her an American probably government made science project how basic.

Ultimate Member

America really had a great unique origin story & that really looks like its about to be destroyed in favor of making her an American probably government made science project how basic.
    I'm gonna close my eyes and clap my hands over my ears and pretend that it's all a part of some sinister plot by some nogoodnik to co-opt America and turn her into their agent / puppet, by trying to erase her actual history and give her some artificial history that ties her to them.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

I don't think the change is MCU based since the leaked auditions have her being from a parallel universe.
    Last edited by gonnagiveittoya; 05-01-2021 at 09:19 AM.

Yeah, they've been burned before. They changed Carol's origin to make her a half-Kree named Car-Ell... but the movie had her as a human serving the Kree going by the name Vers.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

When you put it like that... yeah, going from a gay magic origin to yet another lab rat origin story feels like a downgrade in terms of creativity. If they absolutely felt the need to say she was from Earth, at least they could say they moved to the Utopian Parallel when she was a baby, so she would still have the cool magical background. But let's not jump to conclusions just yet. Like I said, that preview is obviously missing a lot of context.

Fantastic Member Waking Replica's Avatar

My theory on what's going to be retconned:

spoilers:
    The Chavez's are a part of some God Particle-esque science mission that's discovered some ancient powerful force (my theory is that its lingering Demiurge energy that's somehow found its way to that island). They're hired to try and use it in experiments that start off fine, but in cliche fashion become sinister when human experiments are introduced. It's either orphan girls are used to harness the latent Demiurge energy, or they're all test tube babies (which would tie into this whole twist of a slightly less fantastical origin that, pun intended, parallels her original origin). The Chavez's eventually, in more cliche fashion, realize this is bad and try to rescue the girls. It goes badly, but they're able to save America, and conveniently, whoever the antagonist is in this book. Now the girls are running out of fuel, and the antagonist wants America's Demiurge juice to survive. Maybe the antagonist reveals if they run out of juice, they die and cause black holes or whatever, and conflict ensues then. It'll probably end with America either offing the antagonist, or maybe she kicks her way into the "actual" actual Utopian Parallel and dumps the antagonist off there. Then, and this is more self indulgence than a genuine theory, she tells Billy what she thinks his role is in her origin, which she's never done (I don't think at least) and they bond or whatever.
    end of spoilers

It just feels fundamentally wrong to me to erase/change America's Demiurge connection. Like her whole role in volume 2 was to ensure her for all intents & purposes "Gods" destiny remained intact, like this is the same girl who was in tears worried Billy wouldn't be able to handle mother & his destiny gets cut short, eventhough people attach the stupid non-existent in volume 2 Kate friendship as her most relevant YA relationship, I always thought her connection to Billy was so profound looking your God in the eye & realizing he's just as fucked up & imperfect as you kinda hit deep IMO I don't want that changed in favor of making America some basic science project raised by 2 lesbians for a year before getting taken into some basic Hispanic family that was only created in a story I doubt a lot of people will even read. IDK I just don't want that connection taken away I see so much story between America & Billy that can be told!