Page 96 of 141 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,440 of 2114
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

So Marvel sent out a press release for Planet Size X-Men that says new Omega Level Mutants will be introduced in the issue. With Franklin off the list, I guess this is THE perfect opportunity to confirm whether Billy (and Tommy) are mutants or not. I mean, I can't think of any other Homo-species reality warper that could take Franklin's space on the list other than Billy. If they keep sleeping on him... then I'll be definitely more convinced he's not a mutant.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Both the YA and Champions versions of Patriot are in Black Panther #25
    Nice to see they can co-exist... for now at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    If Eli is working with T'Challa...maybe His Highness could hook the dude up with a vibranium shield. Could be a way to bring this into 616.

Better yet, I want him to have a FULL vibranium suit and equipment. He's in need of a redesign, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    So Marvel sent out a press release for Planet Size X-Men that says new Omega Level Mutants will be introduced in the issue. With Franklin off the list, I guess this is THE perfect opportunity to confirm whether Billy (and Tommy) are mutants or not. I mean, I can't think of any other Homo-species reality warper that could take Franklin's space on the list other than Billy. If they keep sleeping on him... then I'll be definitely more convinced he's not a mutant.

Better yet, I want him to have a FULL vibranium suit and equipment. He's in need of a redesign, after all.
    While I would live if they gave my boy Billy the false gods spot, the realist in me is thinking it's probably some of those OC Arrako mutants Hickman created in the Sword event. That being said Ewing did mention lingering questions would be answered about Billy so never say never and the X-Men Monday podcast confirmed their mutant status (Billy & Tommy) was a heavy discussion amongst the editorial room so will see I have hope! And with Doom taking time to stop at the Gala I'd be shocked if Teddy didn't by then I think S.W.O.R.D. is suppose to rescue him right? They could petition a favor from Billy because of that have him help the omegas and boom!
    Last edited by Journey; 05-22-2021 at 08:29 PM.

Fully agreed, he needs a design overhaul and a new and unique shield
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    While I would live if they gave my boy Billy the false gods spot, the realist in me is thinking it's probably some of those OC Arrako mutants Hickman created in the Sword event. That being said Ewing did mention lingering questions would be answered about Billy so never say never and the X-Men Monday podcast confirmed their mutant status (Billy & Tommy) was a heavy discussion amongst the editorial room so will see I have hope! And with Doom taking time to stop at the Gala I'd be shocked if Teddy didn't by then I think S.W.O.R.D. is suppose to rescue him right? They could petition a favor from Billy because of that have him help the omegas and boom!
    Oh, I think some of those new mutants will definitely make the list, but would any of them specifically take the spot reserved to the kind of powerset Franklin had? 'Cause my understanding is that you can only have one Omega per powerset. So Franklin was the top mutant for universal reality warping. The only way someone would take his specific spot was if they were a more powerful universal reality warper than he is. Which is why I don't see many other options they could put in there other than Billy. The only way I accept Billy not making this damn list is if he's not a mutant, or they say his mutation is not reality warping, but something else (maybe his electrokinesis).

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Fully agreed, he needs a design overhaul and a new and unique shield
    I feel like Eli probably would've gotten a redesign by now if he hadn't been limboed for so long. Out of all the Young Avengers, the only ones who never got a redesign were the ones who just left forever (Nate, Jonas) or the ones who ended up being criminally underused (Eli, Tommy).

Also, while we're on the subject of redesigning Eli... can he PLEASE get some hair? Never understood the mindset behind making a young black man just be completely bald ever since his teenage years, like... how many young black guys would even be into that? So weird. I liked that MCU Eli had hair, so let's hope they'll synergize that shit too. LOL

Oh, I think some of those new mutants will definitely make the list, but would any of them specifically take the spot reserved to the kind of powerset Franklin had? 'Cause my understanding is that you can only have one Omega per powerset. So Franklin was the top mutant for universal reality warping. The only way someone would take his specific spot was if they were a more powerful universal reality warper than he is. Which is why I don't see many other options they could put in there other than Billy. The only way I accept Billy not making this damn list is if he's not a mutant, or they say his mutation is not reality warping, but something else (maybe his electrokinesis).

I feel like Eli probably would've gotten a redesign by now if he hadn't been limboed for so long. Out of all the Young Avengers, the only ones who never got a redesign were the ones who just left forever (Nate, Jonas) or the ones who ended up being criminally underused (Eli, Tommy).

Also, while we're on the subject of redesigning Eli... can he PLEASE get some hair? Never understood the mindset behind making a young black man just be completely bald ever since his teenage years, like... how many young black guys would even be into that? So weird. I liked that MCU Eli had hair, so let's hope they'll synergize that shit too. LOL
    Eli is a victim of his time when it comes to the hair thing, black characters used to get the default fade or bald look (Luke Cage, Bishop was bald for a while too). Now they've started to actually give a damn so there's more hairstyles to choose from.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Eli is a victim of his time when it comes to the hair thing, black characters used to get the default fade or bald look (Luke Cage, Bishop was bald for a while too). Now they've started to actually give a damn so there's more hairstyles to choose from.
    Honestly, I sometimes wonder if black hair is just 'hard to draw' for artists who haven't been bothered to draw it, so they take the easy step of not doing it at all.

It's not just black men with shaved heads, the occasional black woman (like Storm or Vixen or Monica Rambeau) gets drawn with straight hair just, it seems, to spare the artist having to learn how to draw hair that *isn't* straight.

Al Ewing made it a point to have Monica change her hairstyle from a straight haired look to braids, which is a more typical black hairstyle. Spectrum has had that sort of hair ever since his Mighty Avengers book. Storm and Vixen have always had straight hair - though can't Ororo's be explained by her mutation, considering it's also been white ever since she was a kid? Vixen usually wears a pixie cut nowadays, but even when she had long hair when she first appeared in Action Comics, it was straight.

CBR posted an article about Jonas Vision.
    https://www.cbr.com/young-avengers-teen-vision/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

I personally think his look is just fine...just needs a shield upgrade.

He's the only YA member without an upgrade since volume 1 even Tommy's managed to switch it up a bit and he barely appears I'd like something more modern for my boy.

Also I agree about him being bald needs to be changed!
    Last edited by Journey; 05-23-2021 at 11:42 AM.

Franklin was universal I always thought if Billy got added to the list his particular area would be "Magical Reality Manipulation" but IDK I feel like Ewing might be setting something up with Billy he always seems to change his stance on his powers whenever he writes him. Like latest guardians he said Billy had "a touch" of magic as a reality warper so it seems he's back on that not real magic thing from New Avengers. So IDK his chances of being a confirmed mutant again seem bigger then ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Honestly, I sometimes wonder if black hair is just 'hard to draw' for artists who haven't been bothered to draw it, so they take the easy step of not doing it at all.

It's not just black men with shaved heads, the occasional black woman (like Storm or Vixen or Monica Rambeau) gets drawn with straight hair just, it seems, to spare the artist having to learn how to draw hair that *isn't* straight.
    Yeah, I definitely think that plays a part. Comics are STILL struggling to properly color POC characters, so it's not surprising that a lot of artists just don't really grasp black hair.

It's not that his look is not fine, it's just that it's a bit dated now that most of his peers have gotten new looks. Same reason why I think Tommy needs a redesign too. I just would find a bit odd if we had a new Young Avengers book and those two are the only ones looking exactly the same as they did back in 2005/6. I think a new look would feel appropriate for a new era. Hell, I'd even be down for Billy, Kate, Teddy and Cassie getting new looks too for a new book. I would love a fresh start for the Young Avengers brand, since it's been so long since we've gotten a proper team up with those characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Franklin was universal I always thought if Billy got added to the list his particular area would be "Magical Reality Manipulation" but IDK I feel like Ewing might be setting something up with Billy he always seems to change his stance on his powers whenever he writes him. Like latest guardians he said Billy had "a touch" of magic as a reality warper so it seems he's back on that not real magic thing from New Avengers. So IDK his chances of being a confirmed mutant again seem bigger then ever.
    I don't really like the idea of saying Billy's magic is mutation, 'cause I think it becomes too complicated when you factor Wanda and Mephisto in it. If he inherited magic powers from those two sources, then how does that translate to a potential X-gene? It's not like he is biologically related to either of them, so his potential X-gene from his completely normal human family just happened to be imbued with an OP level of ''magic reality warping'' that just so happens to be similar to Wanda's and Mephisto's magic? I feel like that is way too far-fetched to be explained on a biological level for him. At least Franklin's OP mutation was explained by the cosmic rays that affected Reed and Sue, but Billy doesn't have that kind of backstory. Which is why I prefer if there is a distinction between magic and mutation. Like, Magik does magic, but her MUTATION is her teleporting disks. Pixie does magic too, but that comes from her being half fairy. So I think they should make that distinction clear for Billy too IF he is a mutant.

And I don't think Billy being a Universal Reality Warper would be a wrong definition, regardless of his mage/mutant status. I mean, if you look at what he did on Gillen's Young Avengers, it was essentially that: he warped reality on a universal level. He quite literally held the fabric of the universe on his hands and walked over it, changing things to his will and easily sending multiversal beings back to their universes with a flick of his hands. If that is not universal reality warping... I don't know what it is. Also, as the Demiurge, we know he is supposed to ascend to a god-like level and create literal worlds, which is essentially what Franklin used to be able to do before Slott nerfed him.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 05-23-2021 at 05:40 PM.

There's someone else who could take Franklin's Omega Mutant spot... Gwen Poole. She can enter the white space outside of a comic's panels and manipulate things. She breaks the fourth wall. She may even have made herself a mutant just by wanting it.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Yeah, I definitely think that plays a part. Comics are STILL struggling to properly color POC characters, so it's not surprising that a lot of artists just don't really grasp black hair.

It's not that his look is not fine, it's just that it's a bit dated now that most of his peers have gotten new looks. Same reason why I think Tommy needs a redesign too. I just would find a bit odd if we had a new Young Avengers book and those two are the only ones looking exactly the same as they did back in 2005/6. I think a new look would feel appropriate for a new era. Hell, I'd even be down for Billy, Kate, Teddy and Cassie getting new looks too for a new book. I would love a fresh start for the Young Avengers brand, since it's been so long since we've gotten a proper team up with those characters.

I don't really like the idea of saying Billy's magic is mutation, 'cause I think it becomes too complicated when you factor Wanda and Mephisto in it. If he inherited magic powers from those two sources, then how does that translate to a potential X-gene? It's not like he is biologically related to either of them, so his potential X-gene from his completely normal human family just happened to be imbued with an OP level of ''magic reality warping'' that just so happens to be similar to Wanda's and Mephisto's magic? I feel like that is way too far-fetched to be explained on a biological level for him. At least Franklin's OP mutation was explained by the cosmic rays that affected Reed and Sue, but Billy doesn't have that kind of backstory. Which is why I prefer if there is a distinction between magic and mutation. Like, Magik does magic, but her MUTATION is her teleporting disks. Pixie does magic too, but that comes from her being half fairy. So I think they should make that distinction clear for Billy too IF he is a mutant.

And I don't think Billy being a Universal Reality Warper would be a wrong definition, regardless of his mage/mutant status. I mean, if you look at what he did on Gillen's Young Avengers, it was essentially that: he warped reality on a universal level. He quite literally held the fabric of the universe on his hands and walked over it, changing things to his will and easily sending multiversal beings back to their universes with a flick of his hands. If that is not universal reality warping... I don't know what it is. Also, as the Demiurge, we know he is supposed to ascend to a god-like level and create literal worlds, which is essentially what Franklin used to be able to do before Slott nerfed him.
    I mean I'm for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    There's someone else who could take Franklin's Omega Mutant spot... Gwen Poole. She can enter the white space outside of a comic's panels and manipulate things. She breaks the fourth wall. She may even have made herself a mutant just by wanting it.
    The character is a literal joke though she'd be a wasted spot.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

Every time I think about this subject, I'm always reminded about a post I read that had, I think it was an art book, but the subject was how artist are often so utterly ignorantly when it comes to drawing hair found on most Black people.

Alas, considering the Eurocentrism of everything, the explanation for why that is is clear. Same reason why cameras and photography weren't developed to be able to properly capture darker skin tones since the technology's inception.

This is also juxtaposed together with the societal lack of inspiration when it comes to hairstyles for boys and men in general. Fictional Black boys and men, then, have to deal with the double whammy intersection of that. So you get this really out-of-place bald Black teenaged kid like Eli.

I agree that Eli needs a top-to-bottom redesign, Rayshaun's Patriot guise is rocking it, so I don't see why they couldn't redesign the OG Eli do likewise. (Just no appropriating from Rayshaun's cool look, please. Not a fan when they have processors functionally leech off their legacies.)