Page 67 of 298 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177117167 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 4458

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

^ ^ ^

We need one of those poster portfolio books from Sharpe, ASAP!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Twitter. He was responding to some Top Ten GL stories list that had Emerald Twilight on it and he referred to some guy who was mad about him "ruining Hal" or something. Then if I remember correctly Phil Jimenez chimed in and Marz tweeted him the Chuck Yeager comparison, which I responded to and was then blocked for. Doesn't matter, I didn't take it personally or anything, maybe he was already annoyed and thought I was another HEAT member or whatever, but I don't hold it against him, I was just surprised since I think all I did was present the same logic to other characters that he applied to Hal.
    I think that's the way to look at it. Marz has received so much grief about his part in the editorially-mandated decision to ****-can Hal over the past quarter century that he no doubt has a hair trigger when it comes to dealing with anyone who he thinks might have annoyed him.

Back in the day, I did my fair share of harping on Marz myself, so, if it makes you feel any better, I no doubt contributed to Marz's block-happy disposition

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    How I wish that were true, but pop culture has not yet fallen out of love with rich white billionaires doing whatever they want.

I would have thought the last few years would have broken that spell, but alas, it hasn't...
    I think Tynion has said that he wants to reduce Bruce's wealth and make him a millionaire. As if "less rich" white man doing whatever he wants is any different.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I think Tynion has said that he wants to reduce Bruce's wealth and make him a millionaire. As if "less rich" white man doing whatever he wants is any different.
    Batman at least has the protection of a lot of his most popular stories leaning into “man a trust fund brat dressing up as a bat to beat the hell out of people is insane isn’t it? This guy is a prick, but damn if he isn’t cool too!” so that helps. Hal will be fine though, hot shot pilot may not mean as much as it once did, but the devil may care archetype Hal embodies is still very appealing.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Ah bummer.

At least I don't think he's blasted the character much in general.
    Hey Morrison wasn’t a huge Hal fan initially either, he was a Kyle guy too or so Sharpe has said iirc. He had to warm up to Hal over the course of The Green Lantern. Sometimes it takes working on a character for you to appreciate them.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Hal playing Cosmic billiards and referencing "The Hustler" is a top three Hal Jordan moment for me. I don't even know what the other two are but that page lives in my brain rent free.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Hal playing Cosmic billiards and referencing "The Hustler" is a top three Hal Jordan moment for me. I don't even know what the other two are but that page lives in my brain rent free.
    God getting punched by a giant green boxing glove is up there for me.

And Hal giving the entire Earth a time out for being intoxicated was pretty funny, too.

That issue is probably my favorite of season one.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    I think Hal as the Chuck Yeager archetype is already a pretty reductionist take on the character. Morrison's run has shown that Hal is actually a combination of many character archetypes (and heck, this isn't even something Morrison invented; you just have to look into the character's history to pick up on this), and can't really be reduced to that kind of single one-dimensional take. And even then, you can take elements of what made a test pilot an appealing figure in the 50s/60s and update it for a modern context.

If we're talking about "outdated", Batman - a rich white guy who comes from old money and beats up the mentally ill - immediately comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post

This is a beautiful sight. Hope there's a collection of both seasons down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Batman at least has the protection of a lot of his most popular stories leaning into “man a trust fund brat dressing up as a bat to beat the hell out of people is insane isn’t it? This guy is a prick, but damn if he isn’t cool too!” so that helps. Hal will be fine though, hot shot pilot may not mean as much as it once did, but the devil may care archetype Hal embodies is still very appealing.
    Sometimes I think people just overthink the characters too much.
    This is a beautiful sight. Hope there's a collection of both seasons down the line.
    This is totally getting an omnibus collection.

Season 1's #1, #3, #7, and Season 2 #1 are my favorites of the bunch.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    That moment got a good laugh out of me.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!