Page 105 of 298 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 4458

hal the engineer...

Man, it was a disappointing day. And amusingly the new GL book was actually fun. Sometimes you just shouldn't put comic creators who've done a lot for your favorite heroes on pedestals. A fact that I'm apparently still not aware of in my early 30s. Either way, treat people well, guys. In brightest day, in blackest night, and all that jazz.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    I intend to never read Watchmen. Enjoying Gibbons' art on pre-crisis Green Lantern works for me.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Man, it was a disappointing day. And amusingly the new GL book was actually fun. Sometimes you just shouldn't put comic creators who've done a lot for your favorite heroes on pedestals. A fact that I'm apparently still not aware of in my early 30s. Either way, treat people well, guys. In brightest day, in blackest night, and all that jazz.
    I hear ya, buddy. People can disappoint you a lot. It's why I put my faith in fictional characters instead

To be fair, I think there's a part of Johns who knows he *%$#ed up. The Doctor Manhattan issue of Doomsday Clock feels way too autobiographical to me. Unfortunately, the realities of corporate and legal liability means that he has to dig in and act like he's never done anything wrong, which is ridiculous.

Luckily, I've been down this road before with Gerard Jones (who certainly fell a LOT further than Johns has), who wrote my absolute favorite John Stewart vs. Hal Jordan story. It's not so much about separating the art from the artist, because I think that always feels foolish to me. I try to see the art, particularly with superhero stories, as an expression of the best humanity within the artists. At least that's how I'm trying to look at it.

Although, my re-read of Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps is really putting that mindset to the test with regards to EVS, who has really revealed himself to be a complete scumbag. And I cannot even get close to reading Max Landis's American Alien because &%$# that guy. &*%$ him and everything he's ever written.

Time will tell if Johns owns up to his mistakes in the same way that Dan Harmon owned up to his and tried to make things right. If not, that'd be a shame, but I will always hold out hope that he'll find some way of using the past few years to grow and become a better person, unlike others in the industry who've allowed their fame to curdle them into callous assholes that no one wants to work with anymore (looking at you, Byrne).

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I hear ya, buddy. People can disappoint you a lot. It's why I put my faith in fictional characters instead

To be fair, I think there's a part of Johns who knows he *%$#ed up. The Doctor Manhattan issue of Doomsday Clock feels way too autobiographical to me. Unfortunately, the realities of corporate and legal liability means that he has to dig in and act like he's never done anything wrong, which is ridiculous.

Luckily, I've been down this road before with Gerard Jones (who certainly fell a LOT further than Johns has), who wrote my absolute favorite John Stewart vs. Hal Jordan story. It's not so much about separating the art from the artist, because I think that always feels foolish to me. I try to see the art, particularly with superhero stories, as an expression of the best humanity within the artists. At least that's how I'm trying to look at it.

Although, my re-read of Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps is really putting that mindset to the test with regards to EVS, who has really revealed himself to be a complete scumbag. And I cannot even get close to reading Max Landis's American Alien because &%$# that guy. &*%$ him and everything he's ever written.

Time will tell if Johns owns up to his mistakes in the same way that Dan Harmon owned up to his and tried to make things right. If not, that'd be a shame, but I will always hold out hope that he'll find some way of using the past few years to grow and become a better person, unlike others in the industry who've allowed their fame to curdle them into callous assholes that no one wants to work with anymore (looking at you, Byrne).

...Well, one way or another I expect I'll still enjoy re-reading my Geoff Johns trades, and hope the man who wrote these stories I enjoy can act with the character and integrity I felt while reading those stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    While I really don't like EVS and I'm more negative than positive on Johns I really, really hope that this is not going to turn into some "Hal Jordan was written by horrible human beings, **** him" narrative. I guess Morrison/Sharp run is even more valuable now.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    While I really don't like EVS and I'm more negative than positive on Johns I really, really hope that this is not going to turn into some "Hal Jordan was written by horrible human beings, **** him" narrative. I guess Morrison/Sharp run is even more valuable now.
    Never underestimate the ability of people to warp any narrative to one that feeds into exactly what they already believe.

Incredible Member

Feels like there is a development in the whole Johns situation that I am unaware of. Care to explain?

Nothing really ground breaking, I'd say it is more of the same, but it is getting a bit difficult at this point to handwave it away. Him coming out with basically "I have black friends" defence didn't help either.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Nothing really ground breaking, I'd say it is more of the same, but it is getting a bit difficult at this point to handwave it away. Him coming out with basically "I have black friends" defence didn't help either.
    Gotcha! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    Feels like there is a development in the whole Johns situation that I am unaware of. Care to explain?
    Ray Fisher did an extensive interview with the Hollywood Reporter. Neither Fisher nor Johns came off looking particularly great, and rather than deal with the situation like a human being, Johns had a pack of PR ghouls defend him, which ended up making him look even worse. Compared to Joss Whedon, Johns came off great though

Hey at least Hal doesn't have gray hair again. I'm glad that apparently I was completely off the mark about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    ...Well, one way or another I expect I'll still enjoy re-reading my Geoff Johns trades, and hope the man who wrote these stories I enjoy can act with the character and integrity I felt while reading those stories.
    i haven't followed much this issue, but from what i've heard it's getting blown out of proportions.

but i guess it's not my business. for what's it worth, i am still grateful that geoff was the vehicle in bringing back hal. and for all the other work (and passion) he has for dc.