Page 110 of 298 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110111112113114120160210 ... LastLast
Results 1,636 to 1,650 of 4458

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    thanks man. i agree.
    No problem. When everyone fought to bring Hal back it was assumed that he would return to his rightful place as a full time member of the JLA, but....

the narrative of DC has been...(Intentional or not) you can have Hal back but he will never ever be a full time member of the JLA again, unless a special writer (Meltzer) requests it for 12 issues or so.

Being consistently excluded from DC's premier superhero team, only hurts a characters popularity in the long run.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    They likely won't for probably the same reason that's been brought up for the past 20 years about why he can't be the GL representative of a JL roster.
    What was the reason?

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    What was the reason?
    Justice League being a diverse team and it's easier to insert another character in Hal's GL spot given characters like John and Jess.

Perhaps I should've said two reasons. Indeed, diversity is one of them which I always try to avoid bringing up anywhere since the way some people tend to weaponize that against him kind of puts me off. The other is I think most writers generally don't appear to know or care how to write him well on a team full of other heroes(non-Lanterns that is). They tend to give him the generic cocky flyboy thing or purposely make him look bad for the sake of making others look good. Hal isn't one of those characters that you'd expect DC to "protect" while on a team like that, if anything they seem to be doing the exact opposite nowadays if he's there. From that standpoint I'd rather see him fly solo. Whether it's on Earth or in outer space at least there's a bigger possibility that he won't be purposely written in a bad way.
    Last edited by Johnny; 04-10-2021 at 02:00 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I just can't see Ollie riding in the General Lee...

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    He would if he stole it and painted it green.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Justice League being a diverse team and it's easier to insert another character in Hal's GL spot given characters like John and Jess.
    I'm not sold on the argument that Hal can't be on the JLA because of diversity reasons...

as there are so many clones, sidekicks and original heroes that you could have a fully diverse JLA today with Hal on it.

I would like a more racially diverse JLA, but I also would like to have Hal on it. Why can't we have both?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

"Just two good ol' boys, never meaning no harm...."
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    "Just two good ol' boys, never meaning no harm...."
    Err....it might be my Canadian liberal bias...but I'm not sure if that is the best look for Ollie & Hal. Not to stick my nose in American politics but...

Considering Ollie is as left wing as you get....I'm sure he would take issue with the symbol on top of the General Lee, would he not?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    I'm not sold on the argument that Hal can't be on the JLA because of diversity reasons...

as there are so many clones, sidekicks and original heroes that you could have a fully diverse JLA today with Hal on it.

I would like a more racially diverse JLA, but I also would like to have Hal on it. Why can't we have both?
    No, I agree there can be a JL that's more diverse than it's traditionally been but still have Hal.

I've tended to be ambivalent about the JL for reasons Johnny stated but I can see why being on the premier team certainly helps Hal for some.

Extraordinary Member

I agree.

Err....it might be my Canadian liberal bias...but I'm not sure if that is the best look for Ollie & Hal. Not to stick my nose in American politics but...

Considering Ollie is as left wing as you get....I'm sure he would take issue with the symbol on top of the General Lee, would he not?
    I certainly think so.

IMO, if someone destroyed a statue of Robert E. Lee on DC Earth, Ollie would be the last member of the league looking to investigate the vandalism. Ollie would be out with the protesters cheering its destruction. I suppose the current incarnation of Hal would be indifferent.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Perhaps I should've said two reasons. Indeed, diversity is one of them which I always try to avoid bringing up anywhere since the way some people tend to weaponize that against him kind of puts me off. The other is I think most writers generally don't appear to know or care how to write him well on a team full of other heroes(non-Lanterns that is). They tend to give him the generic cocky flyboy thing or purposely make him look bad for the sake of making others look good. Hal isn't one of those characters that you'd expect DC to "protect" while on a team like that, if anything they seem to be doing the exact opposite nowadays if he's there. From that standpoint I'd rather see him fly solo. Whether it's on Earth or in outer space at least there's a bigger possibility that he won't be purposely written in a bad way.

Writers are a formulaic, lazy lot.

It is far too easy to write Hal as a 3rd rate Ryan Reynolds. A veteran Hal could enjoy a decent stint on the team with Green Arrow, Black Canary, Geo Force, Black Lightning, & Katana. Batman is normally the leader elected or not, so add members he trust without question. Since DC is resistant to add Titans to the league, they should add members of the Outsiders.

Having one team but two distinct methods of solving problems would stimulate plenty debate, and tension to the book's dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Writers are a formulaic, lazy lot.

It is far too easy to write Hal as a 3rd rate Ryan Reynolds. A veteran Hal could enjoy a decent stint on the team with Green Arrow, Black Canary, Geo Force, Black Lightning, & Katana. Batman is normally the leader elected or not, so add members he trust without question. Since DC is resistant to add Titans to the league, they should add members of the Outsiders.

Having one team but two distinct methods of solving problems would stimulate plenty debate, and tension to the book's dynamic.
    Adding the Outsiders to the JLA would be interesting, Black Lightning has already been a member a few times. Katana's interesting and I've always liked Geo Force.

Hal Jordan, Green Arrow and Black Canary is a must. They are my trinity, if I woke up tomorrow to find DC had made them the trinity I'd be the happiest comic collector alive.

(Imagine several Green Arrow & Hal Jordan titles. Black Canary would have her own title so would Arsenal...ah we can dream, always dream.)

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'll take it one further. If he woke up in a vehicle sporting the confederate flag going 100 mph, he'd jump out without concern for his safety and brandish two birds to let the driver know what's up.

For what it's worth, I don't think Hal's stupid enough to equate the confederacy with states rights over the larger implications that flag represents either.

A charger's a sweet ride. Paint over that flag and I can see them both riding around in one.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I'll take it one further. If he woke up in a vehicle sporting the confederate flag going 100 mph, he'd jump out without concern for his safety and brandish two birds to let the driver know what's up.

For what it's worth, I don't think Hal's stupid enough to equate the confederacy with states rights over the larger implications that flag represents either.

A charger's a sweet ride. Paint over that flag and I can see them both riding around in one.
    Absolutely, Hal is a muscle car guy.

That was among the elements that the Ryan Reynolds movie nailed. Hal's car was exactly something he would drive before the ring.

After the ring? Hal doesn't even bother renewing his driver's license.