Page 132 of 298 FirstFirst ... 3282122128129130131132133134135136142182232 ... LastLast
Results 1,966 to 1,980 of 4458

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    Well I hope Johnny is right, but it does seem odd that Hal is continually excluded from the JLA. I mean what is it, two three years he's been on the team since his resurrection and redemption...which only happened because of fan demand.
    Don't get me wrong, I have no faith in pretty much anything current DC or WB does with Hal, but he's not the kind of character they can just dump on and get rid of with no consequence, not only due to his popularity but also given all the baggage they have with that character. They tried to get rid of him more than once before and it didn't work every single time. If they think of trying to do that yet again, they would practically dump on everything the GL franchise has been for the past 20 years. The only thing they can do to Hal if they don't want him as the main GL again is to keep him away from the core DCU events, the main GL book and generally not let him headline anything anymore. But trying to kill him off again or making him Parallax again just isn't gonna fly anymore. The agenda would be obvious and god knows this company doesn't need anymore bad publicity.
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-05-2021 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    It's from a Spectre issue I think.

It's an unexplored friendship in modern times for sure. I'd like to see a Hal/Diana story too. Bothers me that some of the founding JL members don't seem to have much of a relationship with Hal at all anymore. I get that not all 6 of them would be close friends with him, but not to have them interact with him at all for so long is just crap.
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing Hal's relationship with Clark and Diana explored more though I've also had my fill of Hal/Bruce stuff so maybe I just want a change of pace.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think it comes mostly from their weird decision for him to seem older than Clark and Bruce in post-COIE. If anything, he should be a bit younger than either.

And I echo the desire for more Hal/Diana interactions. It sucks that Johns is the only one that really did anything with them and it blew ("Dibs")
    Seems like it was thing they were doing with heroes at the time also. Ollie was also aged up and I imagine maybe if Barry stuck around they'd have done the same with him. Though I guess that did kind of happen to Barry with his mantle getting taken over by Wally.

Don't get me wrong, I have no faith in pretty much anything current DC or WB does with Hal, but he's not the kind of character they can just dump on and get rid of with no consequence, not only due to his popularity but also given all the baggage they have with that character. They tried to get rid of him more than once before and it didn't work every single time. If they think of trying to do that yet again, they would practically dump on everything the GL franchise has been for the past 20 years. The only thing they can do to Hal if they don't want him as the main GL again is to keep him away from the core DCU events, the main GL book and generally not let him headline anything anymore. But trying to kill him off again or making him Parallax again just isn't gonna fly anymore. The agenda would be obvious and god knows this company doesn't need anymore bad publicity.
    That's pretty much how I feel. It's obvious that they don't want him as the main GL, despite the fact that he's the one who brings in the $$$'s.

I don't think they will kill him either, but rather just have him fade into the background, stepping up to play a quick cameo role here and there (a major universe save to appease the fans) before fading back into obscurity.

I don't need him to be he main GL, just saying that history would show you this isn't the kind of character you can easily try to sabotage again or put in the background permanently. The cream always rises to the top.

I certainly want to see Hal in a JL lineup and I want to see him interact with the Leaguers more than he does, but Hal has popped up in random JL stories in a way that other non-current members don't get to without question. There's certainly an open door policy with Hal. He was in the first "Metal" series, "Darkseid War" and Hitch's first "JLA" arc. (did I miss anything?) A long run would be nice, but I don't think it's as bad as all that.

I don't need him to be he main GL, just saying that history would show you this isn't the kind of character you can easily try to sabotage again or put in the background permanently. The cream always rises to the top.

Ah! the Macho Man, R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I certainly want to see Hal in a JL lineup and I want to see him interact with the Leaguers more than he does, but Hal has popped up in random JL stories in a way that other non-current members don't get to without question. There's certainly an open door policy with Hal. He was in the first "Metal" series, "Darkseid War" and Hitch's first "JLA" arc. (did I miss anything?) A long run would be nice, but I don't think it's as bad as all that.
    I guess what really bothers me is that he was an original member of the Justice League who was on the league uninterrupted for some 25 years or so.

The other big 6 are rarely excluded (Including Barry since his return) but Hal's always left out.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since the 15 + years since Green Lantern Rebirth, I think he's only been on the league for 2 years??? Brad Meltzer (1 year) Geoff Johns (1 year) That's not the greatest track record.

I just want to see him on the league for awhile, say give him a three year run, and than rotate him out.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

From what we've seen of Marie Javin's tenue as EiC thus far, I think it's unlikely that Hal is going to be treated the way certain characters were during the reigns of Didio and Carlin. Javins seems to be trying to unite fans, rather than divide them. Given the precarious situation DC Comics is in right now thanks to AT&T and the ageing direct market, they can't really afford to alienate anyone right now

That said, there are only so many comics that DC is going to be publishing each month (and apparently at least 50% have to Bat-book), so there's no guarantee anymore that Hal will be appearing the regularity that he has in the past.

Guys, I don't want to be a broken record here and this isn't meant to be an attack on anyone, but when Hal Jordan was appearing twice a month in a comic with his name in the title, in addition to the big company-wide event, and his Earth One book, this thread was still unrelentingly grumpy about how poorly Hal was being treated, so I totally understand how this current situation is going to be less than ideal for some of you.

However, this is supposed to be an appreciation thread, not a never-ending stream of whining and complaints about how it's not 2008 anymore because all that's going to do is drive fans away, just as the John Stewart appreciation thread drove away anyone who didn't want to engage in endless rants about how Didio and Johns were conspiring against that character for a loooooonng time. Trust me, I've got an inbox full of messages from posters who avoid both the Hal and the John threads because of how negative we are.

This isn't to say that this thread needs to be a non-stop orgy of "Isn't it awesome that Hal Jordan no longer has a solo book and isn't a mainstay of the League anymore! Yay!" I'm not asking anyone to push down their feelings or censor themselves. All I'm asking for is a little more Hal Jordan appreciation with this Hal Jordan appreciation thread.

Let's try, if only for a little while, to spend more time celebrating the character we love than we do than lamenting that he's no longer DC's top priority. Or at least try to keep things in perspective. I mean, Aquaman just starred in a giant blockbuster that made a billion dollars and he doesn't even have a solo title right now.

That's it. Sorry for ranting. I'll promise not to do this again for at least six months

Also, let me say that I truly love coming to this thread most of the time. There's so much great discussion here and I love the awesome pictures posted regularly. I just wish we would focus more on that instead of the fact that Hal Jordan is an unfortunate casualty of pop culture's collective readjustment from straight white guys as the default hero (and that he's mostly known for a mediocre Ryan Reynolds movie)

Thanks for bearing with me as I got this off my chest and I hope no one takes it personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Guys, I don't want to be a broken record here and this isn't meant to be an attack on anyone, but when Hal Jordan was appearing twice a month in a comic with his name in the title, in addition to the big company-wide event, and his Earth One book, this thread was still unrelentingly grumpy about how poorly Hal was being treated, so I totally understand how this current situation is going to be less than ideal for some of you.

However, this is supposed to be an appreciation thread, not a never-ending stream of whining and complaints about how it's not 2008 anymore because all that's going to do is drive fans away, just as the John Stewart appreciation thread drove away anyone who didn't want to engage in endless rants about how Didio and Johns were conspiring against that character for a loooooonng time. Trust me, I've got an inbox full of messages from posters who avoid both the Hal and the John threads because of how negative we are.

This isn't to say that this thread needs to be a non-stop orgy of "Isn't it awesome that Hal Jordan no longer has a solo book and isn't a mainstay of the League anymore! Yay!" I'm not asking anyone to push down their feelings or censor themselves. All I'm asking for is a little more Hal Jordan appreciation with this Hal Jordan appreciation thread.

Let's try, if only for a little while, to spend more time celebrating the character we love than we do than lamenting that he's no longer DC's top priority. Or at least try to keep things in perspective. I mean, Aquaman just starred in a giant blockbuster that made a billion dollars and he doesn't even have a solo title right now.

That's it. Sorry for ranting. I'll promise not to do this again for at least six months

Also, let me say that I truly love coming to this thread most of the time. There's so much great discussion here and I love the awesome pictures posted regularly. I just wish we would focus more on that instead of the fact that Hal Jordan is an unfortunate casualty of pop culture's collective readjustment from straight white guys as the default hero (and that he's mostly known for a mediocre Ryan Reynolds movie)

Thanks for bearing with me as I got this off my chest and I hope no one takes it personally.
    Fair enough, but it is Hal Jordan thread, and if people want to express their frustrations of Hal being continually left off the JLA they can...I must point out that this is something Superman fans cannot possibly relate to.

(Personally I would rather have Hal on the JLA than his own title)

I wasn't around for previous discussions, but it's all good, I'll drop the topic, and steer to something more positive, cheers.

Fair enough, but it is Hal Jordan thread, and if people want to express their frustrations of Hal being continually left off the JLA they can...I must point out that this is something Superman fans cannot possibly relate to.
    Oh, you'd be surprised by how miserable Superman fans are, too. Go check out the Superman Boards, we can be absolutely insufferable at times

Fans of any geek property tend to focus on the stuff that bothers them rather than what brings them joy. It's human nature to focus on the negative. I understand that and I get being frustrated and wanting to complain about it. That's perfectly normal and healthy and I'm not telling anyone they can't complain about stuff that's bothering them. I'm simply reminding everyone, myself included, that it's important to balance out the complaints with the enthusiasm we share for the characters we love. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Oh, you'd be surprised by how miserable Superman fans are, too. Go check out the Superman Boards, we can be absolutely insufferable at times

Fans of any geek property tend to focus on the stuff that bothers them rather than what brings them joy. It's human nature to focus on the negative. I understand that and I get being frustrated and wanting to complain about it. That's perfectly normal and healthy and I'm not telling anyone they can't complain about stuff that's bothering them. I'm simply reminding everyone, myself included, that it's important to balance out the complaints with the enthusiasm we share for the characters we love. That's all.
    It's cool I understand. Not seeing Hal being able to regularly interact with Clark and others has been sticking in my craw for a long time, so when I saw it brought up I vented.

I can see why someone would find it depressing to click on a thread to see mass arguments...but hey...CBR got nothing on the ole DC comic GL message boards lol.(I'll have to check out the Superman boards, been a while)

So on another note, I usually read everything headlining Hal, but I couldn't get into Morrison's GL run, but now that it's complete. Do you think it deserves a second go. Worth the read, yes no?

Worth the read, but I'm probably one of the less reliable people when it comes to recommending Morrison's work since I love most of it.

So on another note, I usually read everything headlining Hal, but I couldn't get into Morrison's GL run, but now that it's complete. Do you think it deserves a second go. Worth the read, yes no?
    If you didn't like the early issues, I don't think it would necessarily work better for you the second time around. It's among the most Morrison-y things Morrison has ever done, which if you're not on board for, is going to leave you cold. You can tell that, a few issues in, Morrison gave up all pretense of making the book something that would appeal to the traditional superhero reader and just unleashed Sharp to absolutely bug-nuts insane.

For the art alone, the whole thing is glorious to behold, but Morrison's writing was even more obtuse and impenetrable than it usually is. That's not necessarily a bad thing as Morrison's writing often rewards readers upon re-reading. But, again, you have to be in the mood for what Morrison is cooking.

I can see why someone would find it depressing to click on a thread to see mass arguments...but hey...CBR got nothing on the ole DC comic GL message boards lol.(I'll have to check out the Superman boards, been a while)
    Man, I used to be the Mod of the GL Board before GL Rebirth. That board makes the general grumpiness of this thread seem like a rainbow of optimism and good vibes in comparison

Those were very dark times for pretty much everyone except Kyle fans...