Page 180 of 298 FirstFirst ... 80130170176177178179180181182183184190230280 ... LastLast
Results 2,686 to 2,700 of 4458
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    What's also amusing is that while those people always claim that Hal stories can be transferred to any other GL, they would never say that Emerald Twilight can be done with someone else. They would insist that Hal is the only one that story can be done with, even though adaptations are meant to adapt the material in a way to serve the specific characters they're using. The DCAU giving Hal's origin to Kyle and the rivalry with Sinestro to John is all fine and good, but if Timm had Kyle or John snap after suffering through an awful tragedy, then all of a sudden those same people would call it BS that should only be reserved for Hal. These people don't tend to apply the same rules to their favorites that they always use against Hal.
    They really just don't like him, and I think they undermine their own favorites a lot by needing to crib stuff from Hal. I think all the GLs have their own stuff that can be adapted or are versatile enough that they can come up with new ideas for them.

The general GL mythos can be adapted around any character and it can work. But yeah, stuff like Abin Sur being used for DCAU Kyle instead of just crafting another origin episode for Kyle is pretty grating. Though in fairness to Timm and co, I think they wanted to use Hal but DC made them use Kyle to stay consistent with current comics. This is why Kyle had brown hair in the show and it's similar to Jason being named "Tim" over in TNBA

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I don't know ... was post Blackest Night when Johns decided to focus more on Sinestro? I wasn't a fan of that, but you couldn't swap out any other Lantern for Hal in those stories since nobody else had that history and relationship with Sinestro.
    I meant more in how post-BN the book just became cycling through various events but yeah, like you said Hal and Sinestro's history is still a sizable part of that.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Hal wore that jacket in the afterlife, and kept wearing it after his rebirth!

Linus ain't got sh!t on Hal.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    this belong's in a different list. maybe one of the robins...
    Just my interpretation based of Geoff's writing.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I've seen the complaint that Morrison's stories could be told with any GL as well.

It's all complete nonsense of course, especially the Emerald Sands story. All the GLs have their fanbases and are worthwhile characters who can produce good stories, but the stance some of Hal's detractors take is beyond obnoxious.
    I think these people are not really doing the reading then, or their reading is very superficial and missing out on the subtler themes going on in the run.

It's not that you can't use concepts like Mu, Belzebeth or the blackstars with John or Kyle, but their handling of the situation would be so different that the story would be unrecognizable.

With Kyle, no offense to his fans, but I don't think he would be able to pull off infiltrating the blackstars the way Hal did, or pretend-kill Adam Strange or even resolve the story in the same manner.

With John, I think he can take on Mu for example but his way of handling Mu would in a sense be the complete opposite of Hal's. Hal pretends to go along with Mu's game but ultimately defeats him by affirming contingency against the perfect "order". John on the other hand, being a tactician, would out-strategize and outplan Mu.

You can have the latter of course, but then the thematic richness and the ethical questions raised by the run are also lost. There is a reason Morrison highlights Hal's beatnik qualities, the theme of "the divided man" which Hal resolves by affirming his own irreducible multiplicity.

Astonishing Member

I dread the day when DC decides to gives Hal's origin to another Lantern.

They really just don't like him, and I think they undermine their own favorites a lot by needing to crib stuff from Hal. I think all the GLs have their own stuff that can be adapted or are versatile enough that they can come up with new ideas for them.

The general GL mythos can be adapted around any character and it can work. But yeah, stuff like Abin Sur being used for DCAU Kyle instead of just crafting another origin episode for Kyle is pretty grating. Though in fairness to Timm and co, I think they wanted to use Hal but DC made them use Kyle to stay consistent with current comics. This is why Kyle had brown hair in the show and it's similar to Jason being named "Tim" over in TNBA
    I think DC has enabled those people to make these claims about the character since over the years they've done everything from giving his origin, his nemesis, his friendships, his stories, his founding JL member status, his love interest and even his hometown now to other GLs. Fans treat him as interchangeable because DC treats him that way too. In perspective it's really not surprising that his detractors claim that you don't need the Hal Jordan character to adapt stories that happened to feature him. WB clearly seems to think that way too.

I agree about Kyle, though I really liked his Ion-like makeover in his subsequent appearances.
    Last edited by Johnny; 07-18-2021 at 09:00 PM.

dc sort of explored the idea of abin giving his ring to guy, carol was in a relationship with kyle, sinestro is almost an arch nemesis to other earth lantern in addition to hal....

the only thing dc can't interchange is that hal is martin jordan's son....

BANNED

They really just don't like him, and I think they undermine their own favorites a lot by needing to crib stuff from Hal.
    Honestly...I don't know if it's really that. At least, not mainly. Sure, they don't like him, but I don't think it's really to do with him per se. I think it primarily stems from a feeling that he is (or was) being pushed on them and there is someone they would rather see instead. I think fans would lash out at any other character in that position if it wasn't their preferred character.

I also think there are some that resent that he has usually been the franchise lead because it makes their favorites seem unimportant or like stooges, and DC is guilty of doing things to reinforce that feeling. There's a generally defensive fan base all around, because no one is confident in their favorite character's spot and there isn't enough page room to go around for everyone's favorites, so you also wind up with situations where people say, "Well, I hate this character because of his fans." That's ultimately no fault of the character.

It's a problem DC created itself by giving a glut of various different characters the same identity (Green Lantern). DC made the problem worse by failing to properly develop most of them, so those other characters use what has already been developed from stories with Hal Jordan as protagonist.

It can also come off as "Hal did most of the work, yet someone else is piggybacking off of it". That kind of thing can create resentment too, even though obviously the characters are not to blame for any of it.
    Last edited by Johnny; 07-18-2021 at 10:04 AM.

Hey guys and gals,

Just getting back into Green Lantern. I know I could read way back on all the comments...but where is Hal Jordan in the comics these days? Is he ever on Earth anymore?

Any info and help would be great. {This is my first post in many years).
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Extraordinary Member

One of my gripes as a Hal fan during the Geoff era was how he & Guy almost seemed interchangeable, in regards to personality. It looked that way in some comics, and in outside media.

For me, a key component to Hal is empathy mixed with fearlessness (which funny as classic Batman is the same). I tune out any variation of the jerk with a heart of gold which should be reserved for Guy.

I loved how GLTAS made Hal & Guy distinct without making either look like clowns.

Imo, Hal needs more arcs where he is bouncing off other characters, as opposed to the cosmic maverick, so fans reacquaint themselves with him again.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    It can also come off as "Hal did most of the work, yet now someone else is piggybacking off of it". That kind of thing can create resentment too, even though obviously the characters are not to blame for any of it.
    Correction- Hal had all the stories and MANAGEMENT forgot to develop everyone else. Especially when New 52 came along.

John going nuts and doing what Hal did is possible since he has that blown up planet forever stuck on him. The main difference is John would not have the personal connection to it like Hal did with Coast City.

Everyone is going to get stick with Sinestro because that is all they are given. While Hal had the stories with the others like Black Hand or whoever.

No one bothered to think there might be folks who have issues with a GL that is not a white guy or how everyone else handles something different than Hal.

Hal and Ollie teaming up like that did would NOT be the same stories if Ollie and Simon did it.

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    Hey guys and gals,

Just getting back into Green Lantern. I know I could read way back on all the comments...but where is Hal Jordan in the comics these days? Is he ever on Earth anymore?

Any info and help would be great. {This is my first post in many years).
    Hal is currently on earth. Unlike most of the Corps, his ring still seems to function. He's appeared briefly in the new GL series, but isn't a main character.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Everyone is going to get stick with Sinestro because that is all they are given. While Hal had the stories with the others like Black Hand or whoever.
    John had his own series, Guy had his own series, Kyle had his own series, Jessica and Simon had their own series, Jo had her own series, various non-Hal characters were leads in the GLC series. There's been plenty of time for each GL to develop their own villains, supporting characters, etc. The writers of all those series tried to develop antagonists for all these Lanterns. And any other writer could go bring back Effigy or Fatality or whomever. But they don't - since "Rebirth" (the first one) they keep going back to Sinestro as the Big threat the way DC keeps going back to Darkseid. (no idea why not - I wouldn't mind seeing someone try to develop Grayven)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 07-18-2021 at 10:32 AM.

Correction- Hal had all the stories and MANAGEMENT forgot to develop everyone else. Especially when New 52 came along.
    This is no correction, I made sure to point out none of this is the fault of the characters but obviously the people who make the decisions that can lead to the aforementioned resentment, so I'm not sure why you're telling me this.

John going nuts and doing what Hal did is possible since he has that blown up planet forever stuck on him. The main difference is John would not have the personal connection to it like Hal did with Coast City.
    John did not have the personal connection to Sinestro that Hal did either, did not stop them from giving him Hal's rivalry with Sinestro in the DCAU, including having Sinestro hold grudges against him for stopping him in the past. Again, noone is blaming the characters for it. You don't need to blow up any GL's hometown to make them snap, you could have Kyle snap after Alex's murder, you could have Jessica snap if she went through another trauma that led to her anxiety issues to begin with, doesn't need to have anything to do with Coast City, much like we've had adaptations of The Death of Superman that were hardly faithful to the source material. You have a GL snap after going through traumatic experience and you have Emerald Twilight, you don't need Hal or Coast City for that.

No one bothered to think there might be folks who have issues with a GL that is not a white guy or how everyone else handles something different than Hal.
    No offense but from now on anytime I see you try to shoehorn racism into any GL-related discussion, I'm going to ignore it. Lord knows I'm tired of going back and forth with you on this.

Hal and Ollie teaming up like that did would NOT be the same stories if Ollie and Simon did it.
    Perhaps, but if you can have Barry pal around with non-Hal GLs all the time, I'm certain Ollie doesn't need to be an exception to that rule either.
    Last edited by Johnny; 07-18-2021 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    One of my gripes as a Hal fan during the Geoff era was how he & Guy almost seemed interchangeable, in regards to personality. It looked that way in some comics, and in outside media.

For me, a key component to Hal is empathy mixed with fearlessness (which funny as classic Batman is the same). I tune out any variation of the jerk with a heart of gold which should be reserved for Guy.

I loved how GLTAS made Hal & Guy distinct without making either look like clowns.

Imo, Hal needs more arcs where he is bouncing off other characters, as opposed to the cosmic maverick, so fans reacquaint themselves with him again.
    Yeah, John’s Hal could get rather discount Guy.

I did love how in GL:TAS, Hal is the only person who seemingly can’t get along with Guy.