Page 122 of 298 FirstFirst ... 2272112118119120121122123124125126132172222 ... LastLast
Results 1,816 to 1,830 of 4458
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    This particular video is now discussing Secret Origins where Hal and Sinestro are fighting a pre-Red Lantern Atrocitus. Morrison's GL books are a breath of fresh air. it's just a trippy sci-fi adventure. I haven't read the Blackest Night title but i did read the tie-ins.

I have a question though. Do any of Hal's Silver Age foes pop up in this Johns run?
    Only the first few issues where Hal was on Earth. After that it's Sinestro and his Technicolor Dreamgoons.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That was the heyday of GL, a time when it outsold Batman, no matter what anyone else thinks . I can’t wait to reread my omnis, just been pressed for time. I remember reading it in trades at my library as it was coming out, that was some of the most exciting times of my life, you could feel the hype building towards Blackest Night.
    I missed out on all of the GL stuff in the mid-2000s. I was 13 at the time and was really deep into Marvel. I heard of the hype behind Johns Green Lantern run but didn't really quite understand it at that time, if that makes sense. Why was it so significant is something that didn't quite register.

I missed out on all of the GL stuff in the mid-2000s. I was 13 at the time and was really deep into Marvel. I heard of the hype behind Johns Green Lantern run but didn't really quite understand it at that time, if that makes sense. Why was it so significant is something that didn't quite register.
    I was your Bizarro lol, I didn’t read any big Marvel stuff from the 2000s except Spider-Man (Ultimate and Amazing) until the 2010s. Didn’t read Civil War until long after it was over, I was a DC guy because that’s what the libraries stocked, and they didn’t have Batman or Superman either! Just Johns GL and Johns Flash at the start (more got added later), so even though Superman was my favorite and I liked Batman, GL and Flash were sort of my way into the DC Universe.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Only the first few issues where Hal was on Earth. After that it's Sinestro and his Technicolor Dreamgoons.
    I would say it's more the first few arcs before Sinestro Corps. War.

Guys like Hammond and Black Hand remain relatively relevant though.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I just finished Venditti, Van Scriver & Sandoval's first arc for Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps and I had forgotten how much fun that first arc was.

Everyone involved is just pulling out all the stops.

It's certainly a big adjustment after the weighty subtextually dense stories of Morrison & Sharp, but I could use some weightless dumb GL stories that aren't trying to do anything, but be cool.

For anyone looking for some Hal in their lives, this first arc is well-worth your time.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I would say it's more the first few arcs before Sinestro Corps. War.

Guys like Hammond and Black Hand remain relatively relevant though.
    The Shark and Tattooed Man also get some love.

It's a damn shame we never got to see Johns's plans for Sonar.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    The Shark and Tattooed Man also get some love.

It's a damn shame we never got to see Johns's plans for Sonar.
    The blogger touched on those guys. I remember Mark Richards from Final Crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I just finished Venditti, Van Scriver & Sandoval's first arc for Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps and I had forgotten how much fun that first arc was.

Everyone involved is just pulling out all the stops.

It's certainly a big adjustment after the weighty subtextually dense stories of Morrison & Sharp, but I could use some weightless dumb GL stories that aren't trying to do anything, but be cool.

For anyone looking for some Hal in their lives, this first arc is well-worth your time.
    The Venditti run is good and under rated. It was a lot of fun, and regularly featured the other big four GL's. I was disappointed that the General Zod storyarche got cut short.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    The Venditti run is good and under rated. It was a lot of fun, and regularly featured the other big four GL's. I was disappointed that the General Zod storyarche got cut short.
    yeah but the Zod arc gave me the most satisfaction of a very enjoyable ride in HJ&tGLC. It settled a long running Godzilla vs Kong narrative I always had in my head. How would a well trained Green Lantern fare against a mature well trained Kryptonian. When Hal took on Zod head up I got the answer I wanted and expected.

I never really understood the "Hal Jordan is boring" take. This guy fell from grace, came back and had to prove his worth again. I find that aspect relatable and can easily apply that to events in my own life.

I never really understood the "Hal Jordan is boring" take. This guy fell from grace, came back and had to prove his worth again. I find that aspect relatable and can easily apply that to events in my own life.
    Honestly it’s mainly a bunch of people who are mad that Hal is popular because they think their favorite GL should be the top dog. Hal obviously won’t appeal to everyone but the way people spout that opinion like it’s gospel makes me roll my eyes. Hal was the GL when the franchise was outselling Batman, when it was number 1 at DC. CLEARLY people don’t think he’s boring or dislike him that much. None of the other Lanterns have matched that yet, although we have to acknowledge that comics success matters far less than movie/tv/animation/video game success in the eyes of WB and AT&T, and that’s where Hal has struggled (through no fault of his own).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

And the go-to excuse about Hal outselling Batman is because Johns was a big name. Nothing to do with the years worth of build to the Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night. Nothing to do with the fact that numbers would go up whenever Hal would show up as GL anywhere prior to his return. Nothing to do with Rebirth becoming a runaway success that performed better than anyone could expect. Nah, Hal was never a popular character, it was only because of Johns and editorial mandating that he should get a bunch of appearances. Same old song and dance.
    Last edited by Johnny; 04-26-2021 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Honestly it’s mainly a bunch of people who are mad that Hal is popular because they think their favorite GL should be the top dog. Hal obviously won’t appeal to everyone but the way people spout that opinion like it’s gospel makes me roll my eyes. Hal was the GL when the franchise was outselling Batman, when it was number 1 at DC. CLEARLY people don’t think he’s boring or dislike him that much. None of the other Lanterns have matched that yet, although we have to acknowledge that comics success matters far less than movie/tv/animation/video game success in the eyes of WB and AT&T, and that’s where Hal has struggled (through no fault of his own).

I don't get it either, especially when other characters with his personality seem to do just fine popularity-wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    This is very...artsy.