Page 107 of 298 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111117157207 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 4458
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    How's everyone going with their re-read of Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps? I gotta admit, I'm falling behind. Only two issues in.
    Read the first trade yesterday. Good stuff indeed!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Read the first trade yesterday. Good stuff indeed!
    I'm digging it so far. Venditti really had something to prove here and is pulling out all the stops.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I'm digging it so far. Venditti really had something to prove here and is pulling out all the stops.
    That hadn't ocurred to me, but yeah, after coming up short when he took over from Geoff Johns, Venditti did step up his game here. I was impressed.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Love this issue!

It was the culmination of nearly 2 yrs of what at times felt like meandering, but ultimately paid off. I think GL #1-25 (1990) still hold up upon reread.
    I get the point that this fight was the culmination of a lot of baggage between the two and it was a satisfying climax in that sense, which had real repercussions as Guy really left the GLC, but I wasn't a fan of this issue. It highlighted my least favorite part of the "grey temples" era (after the first arc where he was the vagabond) - that Hal became this elder statesman, finger-waving father figure hero and when Guy went from outright lunatic villain to "cool anti-hero with an attitude" it put Hal in the position of authority figure and that's never the cool character. He spends the beginning of the issue saying he won't let Guy goad him into a fight (okay, fine) but then he does it anyway, which undermines his authority. And I also thought the fight itself was kinda bland. If two GLs were to really get into it, they would pick a barren moon and level the place. This came across as a pissing contest where neither of them came across well. But that's just my opinion...

Love this issue!

It was the culmination of nearly 2 yrs of what at times felt like meandering, but ultimately paid off. I think GL #1-25 (1990) still hold up upon reread.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    Guy did really well against Hal when compared to Bats one punch.
    Last edited by silly; 04-08-2021 at 12:05 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Makes me wish for more Grant written Hal adventures.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I get the point that this fight was the culmination of a lot of baggage between the two and it was a satisfying climax in that sense, which had real repercussions as Guy really left the GLC, but I wasn't a fan of this issue. It highlighted my least favorite part of the "grey temples" era (after the first arc where he was the vagabond) - that Hal became this elder statesman, finger-waving father figure hero and when Guy went from outright lunatic villain to "cool anti-hero with an attitude" it put Hal in the position of authority figure and that's never the cool character. He spends the beginning of the issue saying he won't let Guy goad him into a fight (okay, fine) but then he does it anyway, which undermines his authority. And I also thought the fight itself was kinda bland. If two GLs were to really get into it, they would pick a barren moon and level the place. This came across as a pissing contest where neither of them came across well. But that's just my opinion...
    I definitely see that. As the 1990 series was my first introduction to the GL mythos (and Hal specifically), I think I really bought into what DC was selling at the time. Remember the way the JLE pined for his return, and you had Wally and Ralph constantly singing his praises in absentia? That was me.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    I know I've seen this image somewhere before...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    God I loved this issue. I wish they had bundled the Blackstars mini with S1, it’s basically the “proper” ending to all the S1 storylines.
    Or as it's own trade, yeah it's a bid weird to throw in with season 2.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Makes me wish for more Grant written Hal adventures.
    Well, they're doing another Superman story so hopefully they and Sharp return for something in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Or as it's own trade, yeah it's a bid weird to throw in with season 2.

Well, they're doing another Superman story so hopefully they and Sharp return for something in the future.
    I’d honestly love a Deluxe that is just S1 + Blackstars since that was my favorite part of the run, and one that can be perfectly self contained.

Still one of my favorite summations of what will is about.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

I definitely see that. As the 1990 series was my first introduction to the GL mythos (and Hal specifically), I think I really bought into what DC was selling at the time. Remember the way the JLE pined for his return, and you had Wally and Ralph constantly singing his praises in absentia? That was me.
    I loved the era then again I was suffering after GL had been cancelled, never bought the Action comics issues till decades later. I loved the individual arcs, Mosaic might be my favorite non Hal stretch of issues ever. I loved that book. The only real opportunity missed was it really felt like Jones was building to something big with the look for me Alan Scott issue. I was sure my favorite DC franchise (Green Lantern) was about to rescue my 3rd favorite DC franchise (JSA) from obscurity. Sadly nothing became of it, probably because some other honcho called dibs on the JSA though they still didn't use them for years after that great issue. I loved Jones run all the way up til the end of the third law arc, which was about 15 or so issues before Emerald Twilight. I liked Broderick's stubbled Hal look, it might be my favorite work of his, that and his Captain Marvel work at Marvel.

^ ^ ^

Yeah, I think I'm with you on where Jones' run started to falter. "The Third Law" was great, as was the Dr. Light Christmas issue. But the Adam Strange and Star Sapphire vs. Predator arcs were just meh. I did love "Trinity", but then right after that we got "Emerald Twilight"... and the rest is history.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

^ ^ ^

Yeah, I think I'm with you on where Jones' run started to falter. "The Third Law" was great, as was the Dr. Light Christmas issue. But the Adam Strange and Star Sapphire vs. Predator arcs were just meh. I did love "Trinity", but then right after that we got "Emerald Twilight"... and the rest is history.
    i need to re-read those issues, but i remember liking them. i remember wishing that the entropy soldiers had more personality and maybe didn't look so generic. but i always liked m.d. bright's pencils.