Page 65 of 298 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115165 ... LastLast
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Batgrayson View Post
    Here in México, Hal's dialogue was traslated as "Ni siquiera sé quien diablos es "Will"/I don't even know WHO the hell "Will" is.

It made that page funnier, but I don't want King writing any character I like.
    Haha! That is pretty funny.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    The only one who sounds in character here is Will Magnus.

Oh, and Orphan.
    Will Magnus going to therapy over Platinum is probably more hilarious than I think it's supposed to be .

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    The only one who sounds in character here is Will Magnus.

Oh, and Orphan.
    I like to think Orphan is just as genuinely as dumb founded as the reader by that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I like to think Orphan is just as genuinely as dumb founded as the reader by that point.
    She's not an Orphan though .

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Same here, but I made the mistake of giving King the benefit of the doubt in regards to Wally West in HiC, so I could very well be wrong about this as well
    Fair enough but if we're talking bad then I think Hal committing suicide with the ring in that Batman issue (yes, I'm aware alternate timeline) I think was worse given how inappropriate and out-of-place it was.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

For anyone interested, Geoffrey Thorne AKA Redjack did a podcast that touches on the whole "Hating Hal Jordan on Twitter" controversy and his plans for the Green Lantern title moving forward. It's well worth a listen if you want to hear

here

The Twitter talk begins around 38 minutes. Beware, though, there is a lot of playful smack talk about Hal (along with Gambit, Lobo, Wolverine, and others), so if you can't stand anything bad being said about the character, you might want to steer clear. However, you can take comfort in the fact that Redjack has once again restated that whenever Hal does show up occasionally, he will not be mistreated or written in any kind of disrespectful manner. He also gave props to Morrison/Sharp for crafting a great Hal Jordan story even if it didn't inspire him to want to write his own Hal Jordan story.

For what it's worth, while I think Redjack is perfectly entitled to his low opinion of Hal Jordan, he's also completely wrong Seriously, though, everyone is going to have different tastes when it comes to what characters sing to them. Personally I like the throwback nature of Hal's character, but I totally understand how some could view him as yet another hotshot '50s test pilot character in a genre that is already overflowing with them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batgrayson View Post
    Here in México, Hal's dialogue was translated as "Ni siquiera sé quien diablos es "Will"/I don't even know WHO the hell "Will" is.

It made that page funnier, but I don't want King writing any character I like.
    It sure does.

I think I like that version way better.

However, you can take comfort in the fact that Redjack has once again restated that whenever Hal does show up occasionally, he will not be mistreated or written in any kind of disrespectful manner.
    But what does that mean exactly? This is not directed at Redjack, but lets assume that some writer thinks that character A is an idiot. So if he uses this character in his story... won't he present that character as an idiot? I mean, what is disrespectful about that? Character A, after all, is an idiot.

Isn't this one of the problems with Superman? Lots of writers think that Superman is a slow guy from a farm with simplistic world view. So whenever they write a story where someone tricks or outsmarts Superman they feel like they are being respectful and true to the character. While in reality they are further damaging him.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I also think that Morrison had said in the past that Kyle was his GL, no?
    Did Morrison say that. Must be from the time that he wrote JLA?

Gotta say, Morrison really did Hal justice in The Green Lantern.

But what does that mean exactly? This is not directed at Redjack, but lets assume that some writer thinks that character A is an idiot. So if he uses this character in his story... won't he present that character as an idiot? I mean, what is disrespectful about that? Character A, after all, is an idiot.

Isn't this one of the problems with Superman? Lots of writers think that Superman is a slow guy from a farm with simplistic world view. So whenever they write a story where someone tricks or outsmarts Superman they feel like they are being respectful and true to the character. While in reality they are further damaging him.
    This is a legitimate concern, if Redjack genuinely thinks that Hal’s personality is so indistinguishable from a dozen other action heroes, there’s a pretty good chance that’s how Hal will be written, which is why Thorne admitted he’d be a bad choice to write a Hal Jordan story.

However, given the degree of scrutiny that a Thorne written Hal Jordan will now be under, I think we can be pretty certain that, while Hal absolutely won’t be stealing the focus from John whenever he appears in Thorne’s GL, he’ll be doing his damndest to write the character in the manner he thinks fans like about Hal Jordan, even if he doesn’t find those qualities compelling to him personally.

I agree that Throne will probably do his best and hopefully it will work out.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Did Morrison say that. Must be from the time that he wrote JLA?

Gotta say, Morrison really did Hal justice in The Green Lantern.
    It has been years so I might be confusing things, but I think that yeah, he said that around the time he wrote JLA.

For anyone interested, Geoffrey Thorne AKA Redjack did a podcast that touches on the whole "Hating Hal Jordan on Twitter" controversy and his plans for the Green Lantern title moving forward. It's well worth a listen if you want to hear

here

The Twitter talk begins around 38 minutes. Beware, though, there is a lot of playful smack talk about Hal (along with Gambit, Lobo, Wolverine, and others), so if you can't stand anything bad being said about the character, you might want to steer clear. However, you can take comfort in the fact that Redjack has once again restated that whenever Hal does show up occasionally, he will not be mistreated or written in any kind of disrespectful manner. He also gave props to Morrison/Sharp for crafting a great Hal Jordan story even if it didn't inspire him to want to write his own Hal Jordan story.

For what it's worth, while I think Redjack is perfectly entitled to his low opinion of Hal Jordan, he's also completely wrong Seriously, though, everyone is going to have different tastes when it comes to what characters sing to them. Personally I like the throwback nature of Hal's character, but I totally understand how some could view him as yet another hotshot '50s test pilot character in a genre that is already overflowing with them.
    Hal is the only Lantern you can have that "playful smack talk" about though. You'd never have a podcast interview with a comic creator where the host is casually calling any other GL the most boring character on Earth. It's not about Redjack's or any creator's personal opinions specifically, it's the essential hypocrisy accepted across the board about how certain characters can be casually treated like they're not worth it and you can freely mock them without any worries, while other characters people don't dare to say anything other than glowing praise about. It's just tiresome to see Hal fans being treated like they're some selfish overly sensitive jerks for not wanting their favorite to be treated like some useless entity that should be swept under the rug. I've said this time and again, I will give this run a chance, I just wish there wasn't so much totally unnecessary baggage to it. But I guess it's not much different than the Kyle run that started under way more controversial circumstances. Anytime they replaced Hal there's been some kind of controversy attached to it, when it really doesn't need to be like that at all.
    Last edited by Johnny; 02-24-2021 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Hal is the only Lantern you can have that "playful smack talk" about though. You'd never have a podcast interview with a comic creator where the host is casually calling any other GL the most boring character on Earth. It's not about Redjack's or any creator's personal opinions specifically, it's the essential hypocrisy accepted across the board about how certain characters can be casually treated like they're not worth it and you can freely mock them without any worries, while other characters people don't dare to say anything other than glowing praise about. It's just tiresome to see Hal fans being treated like they're some selfish overly sensitive jerks for not wanting their favorite to be treated like some useless entity that should be swept under the rug. I've said this time and again, I will give this run a chance, I just wish there wasn't so much totally unnecessary baggage to it. But I guess it's not much different than the Kyle run that started under way more controversial circumstances. Anytime they replaced Hal there's been some kind of controversy attached to it, when it really doesn't need to be like that at all.
    Johnny, the fact that people will leap to Hal's defense whenever anyone makes fun of him on CBR would be a pretty clear sign that people can't mock him without any worrries

I would also suggest that Guy and Simon get mocked far more frequently than Hal does here.

I think his point is that we shouldn't have to defend Hal from stupid takes. Fact that Guy and Simon are treated badly doesn't really make it better.

I think his point is that we shouldn't have to defend Hal from stupid takes. Fact that Guy and Simon are treated badly doesn't really make it better.
    Stupid takes from your average person is one thing, stupid takes from a creative is another - especially a creative working with a franchise whose stupid takes are about the main character of the franchise. Everyone has a right to an opinion no matter how wrong it is, but an intelligent person wouldn't broadcast it and then be surprised when it comes back to bite them. I'll wait for the dollar bins.

Anyway, this is an appreciation thread, so here's the cover from the last issue of the Morrison series that comes out next month.

21-03-09-TGL-S2-12.jpg
    Last edited by mrumsey; 02-24-2021 at 06:45 AM.
    Visit The Blog of Oa for Green Lantern News, Reviews, Podcasts and more