Page 285 of 298 FirstFirst ... 185235275281282283284285286287288289295 ... LastLast
Results 4,261 to 4,275 of 4458
    Astonishing Member

I taught Hal and Iolande had a spark in GLTAS.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    people say Arisia is problematic but besides Carol most of the women in that picture wouldn't even merit a footnote in Hal's history. TBH Hal spent more time with Cowgirl than he did with any characters on this picture beside CF. As far as extended trists go it probably goes Carol by a mile, then Arisia and Cowgirl which for a Silver Age character isn't that many serious partners.
    Probably better to be a footnote in Hal's dating history than to stand out for the worst reasons imaginable like Arisha.

I'll take Olivia and her apparently all powerful mega mind over alien jail bait any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    I taught Hal and Iolande had a spark in GLTAS.
    I low-keyed shipped the two in that episode.

Not bad kissing a princess/queen .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I low-keyed shipped the two in that episode.
    It would have been fun to see Carol meet Iolande.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    It would have been fun to see Carol meet Iolande.
    Awkward, but fun .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Probably better to be a footnote in Hal's dating history than to stand out for the worst reasons imaginable like Arisha.

I'll take Olivia and her apparently all powerful mega mind over alien jail bait any day of the week.
    The thing is she wasn't jailbait when they hooked up, but it is what it is. We saw teenage Arisia carry a torch for Hal but when they hooked up she wasn't. The trick is she was allowed to age but DC's pantheon being stuck in forever 29 makes age arguments silly because by now Dick is older than Bruce because he is allowed to age, though that may stop now, while Bruce's aging was stopped a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Hal never spending time on earth was probably a factor in that.
    Funny how she was originally created because Johns wanted to focus more on Hal’s Earth life, only for Johns to lose interest in the Earth side of Hal’s life and go full cosmic
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

And it's not like Johns was mandated to go full cosmic, he had pretty much free reign even though I believe he wasn't the CCO at that point yet. I guess he probably thought that since GL was primarily Earth-based during Hal's absence anyway, when he restored Hal's life on Earth he just didn't see a lot of reasons to keep him there for much longer.
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-04-2021 at 03:52 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    And it's not like Johns was mandated to go full cosmic, he had pretty much free reign even though I believe he wasn't the CCO at that point yet. I guess he probably thought that since GL was primarily Earth-based during Hal's absence anyway, when he restored Hal's life on Earth he just didn't see a lot of reasons to keep him there for much longer.
    Johnny, I am always torn on this, because I love Hal in the League interacting with the other heavy hitters. I love his ties to his family, his brothers, niece and nephews, Airwave. He has a few earth based villains I like, the Shark. That plus the fact that I hate the hobo Hal, can't hold a serious job or pay utility bills school of thought. Even though few if any heroes can sustain a regular life for their alter egos, not sure why Hal's inability to do so is heavily debated while other's are not, but that is another argument.The torn part is a very high majority of my favorite Hal stories are big cosmic epics. The only parts of the Ryan Reynolds movie that I enjoyed were the space stuff. I thought Johns came up with a cool job, the military knows who Hal is an allows him to disappear from time to time, that way bills are paid and no hobo Hal. The right mix is hard, extended arcs against the demolition team don't move me, but I love Hal as an active Leaguer and involved in the big crossover epics, but who cares about seeing Hal pay utility bills as long as they get paid? I guess three issues a year with Hal on Earth in his own ongoing would be about right, that plus being earth's GL and the League's at least half the year would be nice.
    Last edited by EmeraldGladiator; 12-04-2021 at 06:46 AM.

I think there's a clear distinction with the first half of Johns' run, which re-established Hal and was more Earth-focused, to the 2nd half where it was more space-focused as we got more cosmic and dealt with the Emotional Spectrum.

The New 52 run kind of balanced it out a little more.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think there's a clear distinction with the first half of Johns' run, which re-established Hal and was more Earth-focused, to the 2nd half where it was more space-focused as we got more cosmic and dealt with the Emotional Spectrum.

The New 52 run kind of balanced it out a little more.
    The decision for Hal and the Coprs going and staying cosmic was probably influenced by the success of SC War (?).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrumsey View Post
    Joan Colby was a "one issue stand" with Hal one of times he was on the rebound from Carol. She appeared in just one issue, GL vol. 2 #50.
    Amazing that Grant included her. Seemed really obscure character. I guess including Arisia had more cons than pros.

I wouldn't say that she has more cons than pros, but she has them and other love interests don't really have any cons. So ignoring Arisia is simply "safe".

Astonishing Member

Anybody else feel that if Arisia actually died, that Hal would be a lot more invested and involved in resolving it.