Page 50 of 298 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100150 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Eh, I just searched for the solicitation and I'm pretty sure something happened because it says "Hal Jordan reconnects with Oliver Queen after the battery goes down".
    I think that's the story Priest originally wanted to write and for some reason DC changed the writer.

I also wonder what happened with Hal's Future State story by Priest. I'm going to guess they were originally going with a self-contained story with Hal and Ollie, but then they had the idea that essentially will spring from that last page and decided to scrap that for a story that gets us to that last page. It's more in fitting with Hal's appearance on the cover, at least. Was it worth six bucks? Nope. But I support Hal. (I do see that Orion makes an appearance in John's story, so I may circle back to see what that's about)

It was great seeing Hal be a pilot and a GL. I was totally expecting him to crash, appear like he was maybe dead and/or dying then some rando would get his ring a la Abin Sur as the cliffhanger, but at least Hal's record of walking away unscathed from a crash remains unblemished.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 02-09-2021 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    Eh, I just searched for the solicitation and I'm pretty sure something happened because it says "Hal Jordan reconnects with Oliver Queen after the battery goes down".
    I think that's the story Priest originally wanted to write and for some reason DC changed the writer.
    and the story now is different from the solicitation. interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    and the story now is different from the solicitation. interesting.
    wait... so this is the new story?

Gorgeous page. I still don’t understand everything that’s going on but it’s been an entertaining ride, looking forward to the analysis of S2 that will hopefully help it all make sense to me. Hal going up against Hector as his final foe for his final ongoing for a while (maybe?) feels pretty appropriate.

Yep that’s it. My guess is that Priest was just going to ignore the Future State stuff other than using it as an excuse to tell his story, and editorial decided they’d rather have something used to set up what’s happening in the IF GL book.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Thinking more about the new issue I feel like Morrison might have made a bit of blunder here where guardians talk about individualism and collective behaviour. It plays straight into alt-right and comicsgate conspiracy theories about evil communists pushing anti-white agenda.
    I wouldn't go that far, especially with Morrison who's advocated for better diversity before, but it certainly does read like meta commentary about DC downplaying Hal's importance.

Last edited by Johnny; 02-09-2021 at 10:51 AM.

Between Morrison's overly talky-talky exposition and Sharpe's retro muddy air-brushed look, this latest issue was a slog for me, as has the last few issues but those had more action at least. It didn't get interesting for me until the last couple pages with Hal's rogues showing up. And Hal walking out of a briefing to go on leave while there's a looming threat? I know Morrison wants to make Hal seem disaffected or whatever, but I thought that was about Earth stuff. Now it seems he's bored with the b.s. of his job too.

So, uh...is this the first time they've met?

I suppose this expalins why Hal was on the cover of the issue despite that this was technically a backup story.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Thinking more about the new issue I feel like Morrison might have made a bit of blunder here where guardians talk about individualism and collective behaviour. It plays straight into alt-right and comicsgate conspiracy theories about evil communists pushing anti-white agenda.
    On the contrary, I would say "self-determination" is a very old leftist theme. And the individualist right vs. the collectivist left is very much a creation of alt-right message boards as well as Cold War propaganda (and the legacy of Stalinism, no doubt) . In fact, there's a long tradition of left wing individualism that often gets forgotten about.

Also let's not forget that Morrison is non-binary. So when they invoke "self-determination" and individual vs. collective, I see it as a very different argument from that of the alt-right.

Anyway, this was a dense issue. Lots of meta-commentary here too. Morrison certainly doesn't seem too pleased with DC.
    Last edited by Mutatis_Mutandis; 02-09-2021 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Gorgeous page. I still don’t understand everything that’s going on but it’s been an entertaining ride, looking forward to the analysis of S2 that will hopefully help it all make sense to me. Hal going up against Hector as his final foe for his final ongoing for a while (maybe?) feels pretty appropriate.
    God, Sharp's just flexing on all of us now.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I wouldn't go that far, especially with Morrison who's advocated for better diversity before, but it certainly does read like meta commentary about DC downplaying Hal's importance.
    To clarify, I don't think that Morrison did that intentionally, but I'm sure that certain people will read it as a critique of "woke SJW comic book writers".

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    On the contrary, I would say "self-determination" is a very old leftist theme. And the individualist right vs. the collectivist left is very much a creation of alt-right message boards as well as Cold War propaganda (and the legacy of Stalinism, no doubt) . In fact, there's a long tradition of left wing individualism that often gets forgotten about.
    I agree for the most part, but I think this is not a place to discuss such things. And again, this is not about it being true or false, but how it will be perceived by certain people.

Sorry for double post, but this is entirely different thing to my previous post and it kinda blows my mind:

https://twitter.com/LiamRSharp/statu...11524053585920

You might like to note that a certain slave trader we thought had died in issue 3 season 1 is seen here in a GL cadet uniform... Yup! Hal didn’t do it! That’s how Grant’s big brain works. :-)
    And further into replies he explains how maybe that slave trader was an undercover GL agents and thats why Hal "killed him". Reading this again from start to finish is going to be a treat.

Well, I guess he put on a hell of a performance given how despicable that character was.

Loved Sharp's next tweet:

Tying up the loose ends. Hal is no murderer, and certainly not in cold blood.
    Last edited by Johnny; 02-09-2021 at 03:33 PM.

Astonishing Member

Sorry for double post, but this is entirely different thing to my previous post and it kinda blows my mind:

https://twitter.com/LiamRSharp/statu...11524053585920

And further into replies he explains how maybe that slave trader was an undercover GL agents and thats why Hal "killed him". Reading this again from start to finish is going to be a treat.
    What now? That was the slave trader?