Page 182 of 298 FirstFirst ... 82132172178179180181182183184185186192232282 ... LastLast
Results 2,716 to 2,730 of 4458

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Yeah, I don't blame Tucker for that, but rather the people who wrote the dialogue. The writer who wrote Apokolips War even made fun of fans who complained about how she treated Hal in that movie. Though now that I think about it, in some ways it could've been a blessing in disguise that she killed him off in 3 second flashback with no lines. I can only imagine how she would've written him. But that was a disgraceful exit for the character anyway.
    In fairness a lot of characters got killed off haphazardly and without much fanfare in that movie. Like Aquaman.

Even some of the surviving heroes didn't end up looking that great.

Like, I get Scott didn't appear to be a Hal fan but I don't think he was singled out all that much in the movie. John's one scene is basically just a setup for tragedy where his "big moment" gets nullified when Darkseid blows up the Central Power Battery.

Still, he was the only Lantern in that movie who actually had any lines. And now we can see why, he was going to be the main GL after they rebooted the animated universe. Cyborg at least got a decent sendoff even though he doesn't seem like he would be brought back either. Which is fine since I thought Hal could at least get a respectful exit as well, being a founding member and all. I don't really think of Aquaman since he was always guaranteed to be brought back afterwards. With Hal, they treated him as a joke and then wrote him off like one while knowing they had no future plans to bring him back, so I can't really excuse this kind of writing. If they don't want to push that character anymore, then cool, don't push him, but don't embarrass him like this. The studio that owns DC did enough of that already.
    Last edited by Johnny; 07-19-2021 at 08:02 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, his pre and post New 52 writing of Hal could get night and day sometimes.

Though like what's been brought up, it may have been trying to emulate Reynolds because of the movie.

Indeed. One of the best things on the show.

Great scene!

It's all bout the writing. Book everyone strong while highlighting what makes them unique, since they all hold the same rank & power set.

Wish we could have seen John had the series continued.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 07-20-2021 at 01:44 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I quietly get a kick at how the Guardians typically have more favorable working relationships with Guy & John, compared to Hal. I think it's a funny trope.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Yeah, I don't blame Tucker for that, but rather the people who wrote the dialogue. The writer who wrote Apokolips War even made fun of fans who complained about how she treated Hal in that movie. Though now that I think about it, in some ways it could've been a blessing in disguise that she killed him off in 3 second flashback with no lines. I can only imagine how she would've written him. But that was a disgraceful exit for the character anyway.
    She apparently likes WW characters, or at least worked on the script for Bloodlines. The treatment of a few characters in that left something to be desires (Hippolyta, Cheetah, Julia).

So even if she liked him, it may not have turned out well.

The scene where Hal is offended the guardians invited Guy out to dinner but not him is extremely good.

Still, he was the only Lantern in that movie who actually had any lines. And now we can see why, he was going to be the main GL after they rebooted the animated universe. Cyborg at least got a decent sendoff even though he doesn't seem like he would be brought back either. Which is fine since I thought Hal could at least get a respectful exit as well, being a founding member and all. I don't really think of Aquaman since he was always guaranteed to be brought back afterwards. With Hal, they treated him as a joke and then wrote him off like one while knowing they had no future plans to bring him back, so I can't really excuse this kind of writing. If they don't want to push that character anymore, then cool, don't push him, but don't embarrass him like this. The studio that owns DC did enough of that already.
    I think that had less to do with it and more to do with John being the only other human Lantern they had introduced in that universe.

Shazam didn't get to do much either.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    She apparently likes WW characters, or at least worked on the script for Bloodlines. The treatment of a few characters in that left something to be desires (Hippolyta, Cheetah, Julia).

So even if she liked him, it may not have turned out well.
    Well, some of that I think was serving the story and not necessarily a testament to her overall opinion of the characters in my opinion.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    The scene where Hal is offended the guardians invited Guy out to dinner but not him is extremely good.
    I find it hilarious that the MVP is perpetually in the dog house.

It could be attempts to keep Hal humble, from their perspective.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    DC in the 90's.

Wonder what must have been like to be a fan then. I'm a 90s kid but I didn't become a DC fan until around the mid-2000s. Actually going through Emerald Twilight at the time must have been a trip. lol

Astonishing Member

Wonder what must have been like to be a fan then. I'm a 90s kid but I didn't become a DC fan until around the mid-2000s. Actually going through Emerald Twilight at the time must have been a trip. lol
    Besides the armor, I felt awful about ET. But at the same time still felt that Hal wasn't being singled out. Superman died, and there were new people who carried the name of Batman and Wonder Woman. It sucked though that Hal became a villain. I guess it's not a good feeling whenever your heroes are treated like that.