Page 123 of 298 FirstFirst ... 2373113119120121122123124125126127133173223 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,845 of 4458

Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    I never really understood the "Hal Jordan is boring" take. This guy fell from grace, came back and had to prove his worth again. I find that aspect relatable and can easily apply that to events in my own life.
    What other's said. Hal won't appeal to everyone, no character ever will, but much of it's just from people who never liked Hal to begin with and one can easily say about it other GLs who they would prefer to be the top one.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    And the go-to excuse about Hal outselling Batman is because Johns was a big name. Nothing to do with the years worth of build to the Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night. Nothing to do with the fact that numbers would go up whenever Hal would show up as GL anywhere prior to his return. Nothing to do with Rebirth becoming a runaway success that performed better than anyone could expect. Nah, Hal was never a popular character, it was only because of Johns and editorial mandating that he should get a bunch of appearances. Same old song and dance.
    And Johns wasn't really "Johns" before his GL success so entire point of "it is because Johns was writing" doesn't even make sense.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Honestly it’s mainly a bunch of people who are mad that Hal is popular because they think their favorite GL should be the top dog. Hal obviously won’t appeal to everyone but the way people spout that opinion like it’s gospel makes me roll my eyes. Hal was the GL when the franchise was outselling Batman, when it was number 1 at DC. CLEARLY people don’t think he’s boring or dislike him that much. None of the other Lanterns have matched that yet, although we have to acknowledge that comics success matters far less than movie/tv/animation/video game success in the eyes of WB and AT&T, and that’s where Hal has struggled (through no fault of his own).
    I've already seen at least one fan comment that we shouldn't have been surprised about the revelations of Johns and his handling of racial topics because he liked Hal Jordan. I know it's just one idiot on the internet, but stuff like that rankles me. And it also predisposes me to now want to give other GL shots, which isn't fair to them.

Anyway, I glanced through the first new GL issue and Hal's scenes. I found it pretty solid and respectful. If that's the extent of his appearance while factoring in the writer not liking him too much, I will consider it a win and give the rest of the series a shot in trade.

Anybody reading Far Sector? Any shots fired at Hal in that? I want to get the trade, but it would turn me off if so. Going by the premise and what little I know, I can imagine there's room for any takes on Hal either way

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I've already seen at least one fan comment that we shouldn't have been surprised about the revelations of Johns and his handling of racial topics because he liked Hal Jordan. I know it's just one idiot on the internet, but stuff like that rankles me. And it also predisposes me to now want to give other GL shots, which isn't fair to them.

Anyway, I glanced through the first new GL issue and Hal's scenes. I found it pretty solid and respectful. If that's the extent of his appearance while factoring in the writer not liking him too much, I will consider it a win and give the rest of the series a shot in trade.

Anybody reading Far Sector? Any shots fired at Hal in that? I want to get the trade, but it would turn me off if so. Going by the premise and what little I know, I can imagine there's room for any takes on Hal either way
    You should have no problem, because literally none of the other earth green lanterns are referenced or even make an appearance in Far Sector, hell the only thing green lantern corps related is a single lone guardian who gives our protagonist her unique ring. As far as Far Sector is concerned there is only one green lantern protagonist, new lantern Sojourner "Jo" Mullein, who is sent to literally the farthest away space sector with no back up to handle alien diplomacy and a murder mystery. Legitimately until Future State and the current Green Lantern run Far Sector could have been an else-worlds book
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    You should have no problem, because literally none of the other earth green lanterns are referenced or even make an appearance in Far Sector, hell the only thing green lantern corps related is a single lone guardian who gives our protagonist her unique ring. As far as Far Sector is concerned there is only one green lantern protagonist, new lantern Sojourner "Jo" Mullein, who is sent to literally the farthest away space sector with no back up to handle alien diplomacy and a murder mystery. Legitimately until Future State and the current Green Lantern run Far Sector could have been an else-worlds book
    Is there going to be a new season of Far Sector? I know Jo is appearing elsewhere and the writer is known more for sci-fi novels than comics but has there been any word on if she will be coming back for more Far Sector. It has been one of my favorite DC projects the last few years (alongside the Last God and American Vampire 1976). I really liked the fresh take. It didn't feel like a replacing Hal GL project more like a cool GL concept story based in a galaxy far, far away. I can NOT wait for the follow up on the Jo Hal what happened to the Corps stuff but I figure that might be a bit more down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Is there going to be a new season of Far Sector? I know Jo is appearing elsewhere and the writer is known more for sci-fi novels than comics but has there been any word on if she will be coming back for more Far Sector. It has been one of my favorite DC projects the last few years (alongside the Last God and American Vampire 1976). I really liked the fresh take. It didn't feel like a replacing Hal GL project more like a cool GL concept story based in a galaxy far, far away. I can NOT wait for the follow up on the Jo Hal what happened to the Corps stuff but I figure that might be a bit more down the line.
    No idea, all we know is that she has a big part to play in the Green Lantern series finding out why the battery exploded, probably because she's actually a cop and can investigate but also because she and teen lantern have the only working rings, and that eventually she will confront Hal Jordan on where the hell he has been once he gets to OA, because the future state issue said that would be picked up this year.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Isn't modern Carol Danvers just a female Hal Jordan? And people seem to like her a lot now...

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    yeah but the Zod arc gave me the most satisfaction of a very enjoyable ride in HJ&tGLC. It settled a long running Godzilla vs Kong narrative I always had in my head. How would a well trained Green Lantern fare against a mature well trained Kryptonian. When Hal took on Zod head up I got the answer I wanted and expected.
    It was good...I can't fully recall the outcome, other than I remember Hal hurling a bunch of stuff at him...and ultimately winning I believe.

In general, I think General Zod would make short work of most of the members of the Green Lantern Corpse, Hal being the exception because of his exceptional will power. On a good day I will always roll with a Kryptonian though.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Good to know. Thanks!

I was probably going to buy it regardless, but now I'm always paranoid some book featuring another GL will have digs at Hal in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Isn't modern Carol Danvers just a female Hal Jordan? And people seem to like her a lot now...
    She's a woman though, so I guess that's a little more "woke"?

Though I still find modern Carol kinda boring. For Marvel's premiere superheroine, my mind is always going to go to Storm or Jean over her.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I suppose her MCU counterpart is.

In the comics she's not had as many space adventures (that were actually shown). She had some space focused adventures when she became Captain Marvel, but now she's more Earthbound and is actually dealing more with magic than aliens.

Well speaking of Hal and one of the Marvel superheroines

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Well speaking of Hal and one of the Marvel superheroines

BRO! That's cool.

Good to know. Thanks!

I was probably going to buy it regardless, but now I'm always paranoid some book featuring another GL will have digs at Hal in it.

She's a woman though, so I guess that's a little more "woke"?

Though I still find modern Carol kinda boring. For Marvel's premiere superheroine, my mind is always going to go to Storm or Jean over her.
    Natasha is way better suited for that position than Carol imo, but I guess Marvel thought their premiere superheroine should be someone with cosmic powers rather than a spy.

Either way, I've been hearing good things about Far Sector overall so maybe I'd pick up the trade in time. Can't say I'm looking forward to Jo meeting Hal though. Even in Future Slate Justice League there's a scene where she makes some sarcastic "And I'm Hal Jordan" comment so I imagine things must have not gone too well between them.
    Last edited by Johnny; 04-26-2021 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Natasha is way better suited for that position than Carol imo, but I guess Marvel thought their premiere superheroine should be someone with cosmic powers rather than a spy.

Either way, I've been hearing good things about Far Sector overall so maybe I'd pick up the trade in time. Can't say I'm looking forward to Jo meeting Hal though. Even in Future Slate Justice League there's a scene where she makes some sarcastic "And I'm Hal Jordan" comment so I imagine things must have not gone too well between them.
    Yeah I noticed that too.

Though at least the Future Slate and other appearances aren't written by NK Jemisin, so I can enjoy her work without rolling my eyes.

Yeah I noticed that too.

Though at least the Future Slate and other appearances aren't written by NK Jemisin, so I can enjoy her work without rolling my eyes.
    Guess it's nothing new anyway. There was an issue of Green Lanterns where Jessica was chastising Hal about not being "more woke". That was her actual line. I don't know what Humphries or whoever wrote that was thinking or what writers believe this type of dialogue is meant to accomplish other than showcase the somewhat primitive thinking of the person writing the book, but it is what it is.