Page 168 of 298 FirstFirst ... 68118158164165166167168169170171172178218268 ... LastLast
Results 2,506 to 2,520 of 4458
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It's a terrible way to think of Hal - being driven to be the first and best? That's BS. Venditti wrote that? He also wrote Hal telling Kyle he was the best, because he had mastered all the colors of the rainbow. So... yeah, that doesn't make sense.

And Guy thinking of himself as "unworthy? Quite the turnaround from when he kept calling himself, "the one true Green Lantern."
    For me, the appeal of Guy is having no chill, and believing his feces smells better than fresh roses.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post

is hal really driven to be the first and greatest in all things?
    Nope. I've always believed Hal was driven to be the best Lantern he could to protect his sector and defend the helpless. Hell, during Grant Morrison's run (the annual with Airwave) he doesn't even call himself a superhero, just a cop patrolling his beat.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I can see Hal having something of a competitive mindset but yeah, that's too egotistical for Hal.

Guy 100% thinks he's the best GL. His descriptor there sounds like it fits more early-days Kyle.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think Hal has a gigantic ego, certainly, but, as Morrison & Sharp so ably showed us, guys who are that confident are extraordinarily chill because they have nothing to prove to anyone. It's the main element that sets Johns & Morrison's respective characterizations of Hal apart. Johns's Hal had just been resurrected and exonerated for his crimes as Parallax, so he was often more abrasive, driven and reckless than necessary because he was trying to prove to himself that he was the hero he used to be. Morrison's Hal had moved on from that and was at peace.

It'll be interesting to see how Thorne characterizes Hal post-Morrison, particularly given his lack of interest in the character. He's read Morrison's take. Hopefully, he continues that more Zen-like mindset for Hal. I'd rather we not get a rehash of Johns again, which is essentially what Venditti did.

Batman has a similar problem. Morrison moved Bats past being an asshole, but lesser writers went right back to asshole Batman immediately afterwards because they don't understand how character development works.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I don't think so. Hal doesn't care about being the first, best or greatest in anything, he just cares about helping people. Venditti more than made up for his prior GL run with this one, but I don't know what he was thinking here.
    yeah, i don't think he got hal in this panel. or the rest of the earth gl's as well...
    Last edited by liwanag; 07-06-2021 at 10:41 AM.

I think we have an idea of why Hal is still operational given new facts in Green Lantern #4

spoilers:
    It appears that the rings dying and blowing up is a result of a direct attack on those connected to the power battery when it was taken down, because if the battery was just taken down Lanterns would still have power. So theoretically this should mean that Hal still has power because he's not connected directly to the lantern battery. I'm assuming because that lines up with the recent Morrison series or even Vendetti making him forge his own ring.

But it also lines up with Jo and Keli, Jo has a special ring that recharges on its own and Keli has a distinct guantlet.
    end of spoilers
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I think we have an idea of why Hal is still operational given new facts in Green Lantern #4

spoilers:
    It appears that the rings dying and blowing up is a result of a direct attack on those connected to the power battery when it was taken down, because if the battery was just taken down Lanterns would still have power. So theoretically this should mean that Hal still has power because he's not connected directly to the lantern battery. I'm assuming because that lines up with the recent Morrison series or even Vendetti making him forge his own ring.

But it also lines up with Jo and Keli, Jo has a special ring that recharges on its own and Keli has a distinct guantlet.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Although wasn't his ring shutting down in the Future State flash-forward?
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    spoilers:
    Although wasn't his ring shutting down in the Future State flash-forward?
    end of spoilers
    Well if I know anything it’s this, just because it happened in Future State doesn’t necessarily mean it will take place or can’t be changed.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

spoilers:

end of spoilers
    Was Hal in it?

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Was Hal in it?
    No Hal was seen in last issue, it’s just that unlike literally every other lantern outside of Jo Mullein and Alan Scott are without their rings. And this issue gets a bit into the whole why that happened mystery and makes you question why it is Hal still has a functioning ring.
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

No Hal was seen in last issue, it’s just that unlike literally every other lantern outside of Jo Mullein and Alan Scott are without their rings. And this issue gets a bit into the whole why that happened mystery and makes you question why it is Hal still has a functioning ring.
    Thanks.

I've also visited the GL 4 thread and was surprised by some the things that happened in that issue.

That's a beautiful drawing, but I wish the artist didn't highlight how ridiculous Arisia's outfit can be depicted. We've seen other artists do it better.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    That's a beautiful drawing, but I wish the artist didn't highlight how ridiculous Arisia's outfit can be depicted. We've seen other artists do it better.
    I dunno, doesn't look like that egregious a take on it to me. Compared to how artists normally draw female heroes at least.