Page 179 of 298 FirstFirst ... 79129169175176177178179180181182183189229279 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,685 of 4458
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, he didn't last long in DCeased...
    Yeah. Far too quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    Man just took on a cosmic vampire and won lol. I honestly wish DC would go the COIE route of not having Hal involved in these events (since his involvement should actually end the story in like one issue) than have him job. I mean the ideal scenario would be neither of these and DC just having a good showing for Hal but I'm skeptical of that considering how he was written in DCeased.
    I think that's just what usually happens when any big character is no longer prioritized. You expect him to be portrayed in a certain way and keep a certain status that he's had for many years, but if the company is no longer invested in him, they don't need to make sure he's well taken care of. It's what happened to Kyle years ago too, you see him go from being this premier character to now making cameos where he's either jobbing or not doing anything of relevance. The one time we've seen him recently he was choking in space and now he is "missing" or whatever. Hence like you mentioned I think they should just keep Hal away from those books instead of hurting his credibility. Of course, this could turn out very differently but given his current status Hal isn't someone they need to make sure is protected from bad creative decisions.
    Last edited by Johnny; 07-17-2021 at 03:53 AM.

It’s Tynion writing so I don’t really know what to expect. I generally like his horror stories, but I’m expecting this to to be the cliche story of “everyone gets turned except Batman who has to save the day with prep time bullshit” I was expecting DCeased to be (but Taylor managed to surprise me). I don’t know how Tynion feels about the GLs, which is his favorite, he’s a 90s kid (as seen by Tim Drake fanboyism) so I’m expecting it to be Kyle, but he also was a huge fan of 00s DC so there is a possibility he’s a Hal fan too.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s Tynion writing so I don’t really know what to expect. I generally like his horror stories, but I’m expecting this to to be the cliche story of “everyone gets turned except Batman who has to save the day with prep time bullshit” I was expecting DCeased to be (but Taylor managed to surprise me). I don’t know how Tynion feels about the GLs, which is his favorite, he’s a 90s kid (as seen by Tim Drake fanboyism) so I’m expecting it to be Kyle, but he also was a huge fan of 00s DC so there is a possibility he’s a Hal fan too.
    Considering Tynion is currently writing Batman, I very much expect Bats to be there until the very end and save the day, because that's what he does. God! I am so TIRED of that ridiculous trope!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Man, some of the Morrison stuff being adapted in outside media would be a trip. Maybe they could do an animated short inspired by it and make it part of their DC Showcase line.
    Morrison stuff getting adapted will probably happen. Now, Hal Jordan be the lantern in those adaptations? Doubtful, we should be prepared to see Emerald Sands starring Jessica, John or Kyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Morrison stuff getting adapted will probably happen. Now, Hal Jordan be the lantern in those adaptations? Doubtful, we should be prepared to see Emerald Sands starring Jessica, John or Kyle.
    Or the darkest timeline, Morrison GL adaptations but somehow it stars Batman.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

I don't think that story works with any other Lantern but Hal because none of them have that kind of relationship or history with their power ring (his "real" love). Remember how every time he's given up his ring, his life has gone on a downward spiral. Emerald Dawn isn't a story that's aged well but I did like the ending bit where Hal says to his ring that no matter what, they will always find each other.

One of the complaints made during the Johns years (which I didn't think were 100% accurate) was that you could still tell those stories if you replaced Hal. For the Morrison run at least, I don't think you can tell these stories at all if you replace Hal, without changing the stories substantially. Controller Mu is an absolutely ideal Hal villain (Predictability/control vs. autonomy/free will/chance).
    Last edited by Mutatis_Mutandis; 07-17-2021 at 08:39 AM.

Well I guess all we can say is better luck in this apocalypse Hal, because you’re one of the more experienced vampire slayers.

"It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I don't think that story works with any other Lantern but Hal because none of them have that kind of relationship or history with their power ring (his "real" love). Remember how every time he's given up his ring, his life has gone on a downward spiral. Emerald Dawn isn't a story that's aged well but I did like the ending bit where Hal says to his ring that no matter what, they will always find each other.

One of the complaints made during the Johns years (which I didn't think were 100% accurate) was that you could still tell those stories if you replaced Hal. For the Morrison run at least, I don't think you can tell these stories at all if you replace Hal, without changing the stories substantially. Controller Mu is an absolutely ideal Hal villain (Predictability/control vs. autonomy/free will/chance).
    Yeah, that was a common talking point a site I used to go. Especially when talk of GL movie adaptations came up and most pretty much wanted the Johns stuff but wanted John or Kyle in Hal's place.

I can see the criticism applying to the later post-Blackest Night era but Rebirth through SCW is all pretty much built on Hal's character history.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I've seen the complaint that Morrison's stories could be told with any GL as well.

It's all complete nonsense of course, especially the Emerald Sands story. All the GLs have their fanbases and are worthwhile characters who can produce good stories, but the stance some of Hal's detractors take is beyond obnoxious.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I've seen the complaint that Morrison's stories could be told with any GL as well.

It's all complete nonsense of course, especially the Emerald Sands story. All the GLs have their fanbases and are worthwhile characters who can produce good stories, but the stance some of Hal's detractors take is beyond obnoxious.
    What's also amusing is that while those people always claim that Hal stories can be transferred to any other GL, they would never say that Emerald Twilight can be done with someone else. They would insist that Hal is the only one that story can be done with, even though adaptations are meant to adapt the material in a way to serve the specific characters they're using. The DCAU giving Hal's origin to Kyle and the rivalry with Sinestro to John is all fine and good, but if Timm had Kyle or John snap after suffering through an awful tragedy, then all of a sudden those same people would call it BS that should only be reserved for Hal. These people don't tend to apply the same rules to their favorites that they always use against Hal.
    Last edited by Johnny; 07-17-2021 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, that was a common talking point a site I used to go. Especially when talk of GL movie adaptations came up and most pretty much wanted the Johns stuff but wanted John or Kyle in Hal's place.

I can see the criticism applying to the later post-Blackest Night era but Rebirth through SCW is all pretty much built on Hal's character history.
    I don't know ... was post Blackest Night when Johns decided to focus more on Sinestro? I wasn't a fan of that, but you couldn't swap out any other Lantern for Hal in those stories since nobody else had that history and relationship with Sinestro.

BANNED

The thing about GL is that the setting, lore, and power is easily adapted to other characters, since none of that depends intrinsically on Hal Jordan. You CAN have a story of different colored Corps fighting each other without him. The biggest thing you would lose is his distinct relationship with Sinestro, and it's up to personal preference how much one values that. You wouldn't necessarily lose Sinestro, though.

With some parts of the GL history, it does seem like you need a specific character to tell that story and have that setting, like with the Kyle Rayner days, or Green Lantern: Mosaic with John. It doesn't seem like those would work if you supplanted the lead characters with, say, Guy. But with much of the Johns stuff, I believe there is enough of a setting there independent of Hal Jordan where you CAN use another GL while taking advantage of the distinct setting.

All that said, I do think there is something very cheap about the thought of, "Well, let's use all of this stuff, but let's supplant the main character of it with x character." I think one should heavily examine WHY they would want to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I feel the need to point out that Carol is actually naked and Hal is just using a construct to give her clothes .
    I can see the Controllers and the Guardian designs adapted at some point. Maybe the Oa aesthetic.
    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I don't know ... was post Blackest Night when Johns decided to focus more on Sinestro? I wasn't a fan of that, but you couldn't swap out any other Lantern for Hal in those stories since nobody else had that history and relationship with Sinestro.
    Not to mention his relationship with Carol.