Page 181 of 298 FirstFirst ... 81131171177178179180181182183184185191231281 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,715 of 4458
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Correction- Hal had all the stories and MANAGEMENT forgot to develop everyone else. Especially when New 52 came along.

John going nuts and doing what Hal did is possible since he has that blown up planet forever stuck on him. The main difference is John would not have the personal connection to it like Hal did with Coast City.

Everyone is going to get stick with Sinestro because that is all they are given. While Hal had the stories with the others like Black Hand or whoever.

No one bothered to think there might be folks who have issues with a GL that is not a white guy or how everyone else handles something different than Hal.

Hal and Ollie teaming up like that did would NOT be the same stories if Ollie and Simon did it.
    Do you even like Hal?

These can be valid points, but do we need to see them rehashed in this thread of all threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, John’s Hal could get rather discount Guy.
    Johns somehow manages to be one of Hal's best writers and one of his worst.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    John had his own series, Guy had his own series, Kyle had his own series, Jessica and Simon had their own series, Jo had her own series, various non-Hal characters were leads in the GLC series. There's been plenty of time for each GL to develop their own villains, supporting characters, etc. The writers of all those series tried to develop antagonists for all these Lanterns. And any other writer could go bring back Effigy or Fatality or whomever. But they don't - since "Rebirth" (the first one) they keep going back to Sinestro as the Big threat the way DC keeps going back to Darkseid. (no idea why not - I wouldn't mind seeing someone try to develop Grayven)

Hal is currently on earth. Unlike most of the Corps, his ring still seems to function. He's appeared briefly in the new GL series, but isn't a main character.
    Wonderful, thanks.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, John’s Hal could get rather discount Guy.

I did love how in GL:TAS, Hal is the only person who seemingly can’t get along with Guy.
    See, that was superb writing!

Those animated Hal appearances during the New 52 era was Guy with a better haircut.

Hal & Guy should almost always be each other's opposite on the hero spectrum, and fans should enjoy their clashes, if the writing is on point.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    That was really frustrating for me.

Honestly, it's baffling to me that Johns wrote the Nu52 JL Hal that way.

Honestly, it's baffling to me that Johns wrote the Nu52 JL Hal that way.
    thank you!

reading nu 52 justice league felt really weird. sure, jim lee made great artwork, but the way it was written....

BANNED

Perhaps he was trying to capture some of Ryan Reynolds' voice and character for synergy purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Goblin View Post
    Perhaps he was trying to capture some of Ryan Reynolds' voice and character for synergy purposes.
    That's what I always assumed.

Yeah, his pre and post New 52 writing of Hal could get night and day sometimes.

Though like what's been brought up, it may have been trying to emulate Reynolds because of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    See, that was superb writing!

Those animated Hal appearances during the New 52 era was Guy with a better haircut.

Hal & Guy should almost always be each other's opposite on the hero spectrum, and fans should enjoy their clashes, if the writing is on point.
    Indeed. One of the best things on the show.

Johns basically wrote Hal in Justice League as the horny frat bro right around that time pop culture started to turn against that archetype, which didn't help. I remember the "dibs" scene getting a lot of **** at the time and I can't see any way it'd get written now unless the intent was to try and make the audience hate Hal. That they kept that characterization for the animated Justice League films was kind of baffling.

GLTAS did a much better job modernizing the character for a mainstream audience.

I always got the impression the people who did those animated movies did not care about the character at all. They used him as meme material. They even brought Nathan Fillion back and still didn't even bother to give him some decent material to work with.
    Last edited by Johnny; 07-18-2021 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I always got the impression the people who did those animated movies did not care about the character at all. They used him as meme material. They even brought Nathan Fillion back and still didn't even bother to give him some decent material to work with.
    Well, I don't think James Tucker hates Hal because he used him well enough in Brave and the Bold.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, I don't think James Tucker hates Hal because he used him well enough in Brave and the Bold.

This was a very good episode. I loved that they got Loren Lester from BTAS to voice Hal.

In fairness, no one came off well in that first JL: War film.

Except for maybe Bats but I also didn’t really care for his VA there.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I don't blame Tucker for that, but rather the people who wrote the dialogue. The writer who wrote Apokolips War even made fun of fans who complained about how she treated Hal in that movie. Though now that I think about it, in some ways it could've been a blessing in disguise that she killed him off in 3 second flashback with no lines. I can only imagine how she would've written him. But that was a disgraceful exit for the character anyway.