Page 198 of 298 FirstFirst ... 98148188194195196197198199200201202208248 ... LastLast
Results 2,956 to 2,970 of 4458

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Finally got around to getting volume 2 of TGL Season 2. In typical Morrison fashion they got a little too out-there in some spots, but I overall loved it. Especially Hal's characterization (which is always on point even when the story gets too nuts) and Sharp's art.

I'd never read the back half of the series before, I didn't realize Morrison snuck in the fact that Hal boned the alien nurse with the tentacles lol. And Weaponeer 666 is anti-matter Hal right? And he's in a romance with his version of Sinestro.

"Generic outdated straight white male protagonist" my ass. If DC had any balls they'd run with this and let Hal be the pansexual Jewish king he is and push it in adaptations.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    The old attitudes about Carol being the boss is kinda funny in that way. And then there's ...*cough*Pie-face*cough*.... some stuff that really doesn't hold up.
    Geoff kind of tried to fix that but yeah, doesn't hold up no matter how you wanna put it.

Last edited by Johnny; 08-04-2021 at 05:01 AM.

The old attitudes about Carol being the boss is kinda funny in that way. And then there's ...*cough*Pie-face*cough*.... some stuff that really doesn't hold up.

I'm surprised how long they kept using it sometimes. I think I recall some pre-Emerald Twilight 90s issues where they still use the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Geoff kind of tried to fix that but yeah, doesn't hold up no matter how you wanna put it.
    I liked how it was handled in New Frontier where Hal does call him that when they first meet, not realizing it's an insult, but Tom sticks up for himself and Hal acknowledges his mistake.
    Last edited by Gaius; 08-04-2021 at 07:07 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Blackstar Hal vs Supes. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Isn't Tom Innuit rather than Asian? Yeah, it made no sense how they tried to keep that name around - at one point I think Tom had said that he really liked pies, and that's how he got the nickname. So much easier to just forget it ever happened. (like the Arisia thing, but that's moot now I guess...)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 08-04-2021 at 10:48 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    Brings back memories.

Ewe! Uhhhg! Arrgh! I totally forgot about Pie Face...that's just horrible really. That can stay a relic of the 1960's.

Even well intentioned stuff back than is sort of out of place. I'm tempted to post a Green Lantern/Green Arrow cover by Denny O Neil that would be unacceptable today...and he was probably the most liberal DC writer of his era.

Astonishing Member

Wish DC would renmember to use Tom more often.

Isn't Tom Innuit rather than Asian? Yeah, it made so sense how they tried to keep that name around - at one point I think Tom had said that he really liked pies, and that's how he got the nickname. So much easier to just forget it ever happened. (like the Arisia thing, but that's moot now I guess...)
    Yeah, its not like it is some "fan favourite" thing, just forget pieface thing and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Yeah, its not like it is some "fan favourite" thing, just forget pieface thing and move on.
    I think the whole "making excuses for the name as though you're trying to win a no-prize" thing was in that middle era between where people understood it was a bad thing, but before the time when it was recognized as so bad where there's no way to rationalize it.

The sad part is even if many of those things are left in the past as they should be, people would always find a way to use them against characters they don't like anyway. The "Pieface" thing is no different than the Arisia thing. Sucks the characters still have to pay the price for the sins of the creators decades and decades after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    Very ethereal...

He took the "...or give me death" thing I previously posted too literally.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Wish DC would renmember to use Tom more often.
    I do too. Unfortunately it makes no sense for him to be around a guy who's perpetually stuck in space...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES