Page 203 of 298 FirstFirst ... 103153193199200201202203204205206207213253 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,045 of 4458

It's nice to see Carol and Bruce and Hal being civilized to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    That could likely be the next permutation of Hal's origin. He quit the Air Force because they wanted him flying a drone rather than being in the skies. And I suspect Ferris Air is going to end up looking more and more like Space X...
    i've been thinking... should hal's origin have a strong military background, or would he better off without it.

was it during geoff's time where hal's origin included flying for the air force?

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    i've been thinking... should hal's origin have a strong military background, or would he better off without it.

was it during geoff's time where hal's origin included flying for the air force?
    Didn’t he get dishonorably discharged after punching a superior officer who was being a prick? I don’t think it’s a problem, John and Guy also have military backgrounds.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

it looks like sapphire caught a horned squirrel...
    Truly is Hal's counterpart.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Didn’t he get dishonorably discharged after punching a superior officer who was being a prick? I don’t think it’s a problem, John and Guy also have military backgrounds.
    He also used it as an excuse to visit his mother in the hospital, although she died before he could.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Did we read the same book? Hal was pretty ineffectual against Darkseid the whole time. Hopefully, he'll be able to stand against Darkseid next issue since Superman abandoned him.
    Would be entirely predictable if he's the traitor because Superman left him to fight Darkseid alone which apparently lead to Oa's destruction. Not to mention him clearly having absorbed the central power battery which is a dead giveaway and won't be any surprise if it does turn out to be him. Then there's the presence of Mongul and Cyborg Superman. All those Emerald Twilight connections seem beyond predictable and won't be any kind of "twist" if Hal does turn out to be the traitor. And if he does, I don't understand the point of it all. Is that what people like Geoff Johns and others worked so hard for to rehabilitate Hal just so a new regime can come along and have him go rogue again. I know the story isn't canon and all but this really echoes back to that mindset of Hal Jordan being susceptible to corruption. And for what purpose this time. With ET at least the reasoning was to get rid of Hal and the Corps and bring in a brand new protagonist, what's the reason here other than to further tarnish the character.

Obviously this may not be the case at all and Hal could still be innocent but ever since he showed up with that "upgrade" and how everyone seemed so happy to see him back, this just didn't seem right for some reason.
    Last edited by Johnny; 08-10-2021 at 11:41 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Did we read the same book? Hal was pretty ineffectual against Darkseid the whole time. Hopefully, he'll be able to stand against Darkseid next issue since Superman abandoned him.
    Darkseid is the Big Bad of the DCU. Being able to survive, without Superman, is a pretty damn good showing in my book. The only characters in the DCU who've managed that are the Trinity, and with sporadic success. Keep in mind, Darkseid is generally portrayed as a guy capable of taking on the entirety of the GLCorps single-handed.
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 08-11-2021 at 12:11 AM.

While the specific branch of military was never mentioned, every origin Hal's had since '59 has included him being a military vet of some kind. Broome didn't bring it up very often, but he was explicitly referenced as having served in Korean War on a few occasions. Giffen & Jones updated that to being a helicopter pilot in Vietnam in the 90s, then Cooke really leaned into it with New Frontier and Johns kept going in that direction by having Hal re-enlist in the Air Force.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Would be entirely predictable if he's the traitor because Superman left him to fight Darkseid alone which apparently lead to Oa's destruction. Not to mention him clearly having absorbed the central power battery which is a dead giveaway and won't be any surprise if it does turn out to be him. Then there's the presence of Mongul and Cyborg Superman. All those Emerald Twilight connections seem beyond predictable and won't be any kind of "twist" if Hal does turn out to be the traitor. And if he does, I don't understand the point of it all. Is that what people like Geoff Johns and others worked so hard for to rehabilitate Hal just so a new regime can come along and have him go rogue again. I know the story isn't canon and all but this really echoes back to that mindset of Hal Jordan being susceptible to corruption. And for what purpose this time. With ET at least the reasoning was to get rid of Hal and the Corps and bring in a brand new protagonist, what's the reason here other than to further tarnish the character.

Obviously this may not be the case at all and Hal could still be innocent but ever since he showed up with that "upgrade" and how everyone seemed so happy to see him back, this just didn't seem right for some reason.
    This, sadly, is the impression I'm getting as well. It's a well-written book but Hal's motivations seem pretty murky.

Astonishing Member

That would be a big letdown if that was ghe case.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    This, sadly, is the impression I'm getting as well. It's a well-written book but Hal's motivations seem pretty murky.
    Again, I hope I'm wrong like I was wrong with Death Metal where I thought they aged him up again in the end, when they didn't.

Honestly, I'm tired of always being worried about that character. lol Perhaps it has to do with the fact that I didn't follow the franchise before Hal's return, so I'm not really used to him not being prioritized or not being protected from being turned into a traitor again, or anything that made him look bad in the past. Maybe it's more of a personal thing, but I feel bad about it because it seems like my concerns often sour the mood here which is never my intent. Like with that DC Vampires book where I thought they'd job him out in the 1st issue because he's both in it and on the variant cover, when you combine things like that it just seems to get dangerously close to paranoia which shouldn't be the case since it's just fictional corporate characters in the end.

I just wish I knew how to be invested into certain characters without taking personally what is being done to them. I went through that when Marvel broke up the Spider marriage and it almost drove me out of comics but then ironically it was around the same time I caught wind of what the GL franchise was doing, and that kind of brought me back to it. In many ways I owe the fact that I'm still a fan of comics to Hal Jordan and the Johns run, so what happens to that character kind of hits me differently than if the Justice League gets a bad movie or if Bruce and Selina end up not getting married.

Again, I hope I'm wrong like I was wrong with Death Metal where I thought they aged him up again in the end, when they didn't.

Honestly, I'm tired of always being worried about that character. lol Perhaps it has to do with the fact that I didn't follow the franchise before Hal's return, so I'm not really used to him not being prioritized or not being protected from being turned into a traitor again, or anything that made him look bad in the past. Maybe it's more of a personal thing, but I feel bad about it because it seems like my concerns often sour the mood here which is never my intent. Like with that DC Vampires book where I thought they'd job him out in the 1st issue because he's both in it and on the variant cover, when you combine things like that it just seems to get dangerously close to paranoia which shouldn't be the case since it's just fictional corporate characters in the end.

I just wish I knew how to be invested into certain characters without taking personally what is being done to them. I went through that when Marvel broke up the Spider marriage and it almost drove me out of comics but then ironically it was around the same time I caught wind of what the GL franchise was doing, and that kind of brought me back to it. In many ways I owe the fact that I'm still a fan of comics to Hal Jordan and the Johns run, so what happens to that character kind of hits me differently than if the Justice League gets a bad movie or if Bruce and Selina end up not getting married.
    I don't think you should be approaching entertainment with the fear that it's going to be something that will screw over a character you love.

No fear, man.

Be like Hal Jordan.

Just enjoy the ride. It may not last, and everything won't always work out exactly how you want it, but you're going to miss out on a lot of fun if you're always assuming something terrible is going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    While the specific branch of military was never mentioned, every origin Hal's had since '59 has included him being a military vet of some kind. Broome didn't bring it up very often, but he was explicitly referenced as having served in Korean War on a few occasions. Giffen & Jones updated that to being a helicopter pilot in Vietnam in the 90s, then Cooke really leaned into it with New Frontier and Johns kept going in that direction by having Hal re-enlist in the Air Force.
    i did not know this.

although i don't remember this was mentioned in emerald dawn.

I got to be honest that I’ve found this JL: Last Ride book pretty underwhelming for the most part given how much hype Zardasky has from his Marvel work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I got to be honest that I’ve found this JL: Last Ride book pretty underwhelming for the most part given how much hype Zardasky has from his Marvel work.
    do you mean the whole story or just hal's part in it?