Page 216 of 298 FirstFirst ... 116166206212213214215216217218219220226266 ... LastLast
Results 3,226 to 3,240 of 4458
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Is that Hal or Jay Garrick...
    Hal's temples and I both find that comment ageist!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    i wondered why dc decided to make the darkstars. dc probably thought they could tell stories with the darkstars that they couldn't do with the gl's.
    I know the concept is credited to writer/creator Michael Jan Friedman, but I don't know if he pitched it or editorial commissioned the book. I'm guessing the former.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Hal did got drawn much older than the members of the JSA.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Still better than the Trinity cover sketch, lol. Broderick is the best gray temples Hal artist for me. His gray temples do not go all the way down to the base of his hair and his Hal has a grittier look which goes well with the gray temples. The others just make Hal look like an uncool grandpa which should never be a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    Still better than the Trinity cover sketch, lol. Broderick is the best gray temples Hal artist for me. His gray temples do not go all the way down to the base of his hair and his Hal has a grittier look which goes well with the gray temples. The others just make Hal look like an uncool grandpa which should never be a thing.

Jeez, Hal really looks like he's having a mid-life crisis here.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    i wondered why dc decided to make the darkstars. dc probably thought they could tell stories with the darkstars that they couldn't do with the gl's.
    I take it as an opportunity lost, I loved the Trinity era because it provided opposing forces to the GLC, this is way before the Sinestro Corps. I still truly believe that the L.E.G.I.O.N. should be use as an alternative (sometimes) opposing force to the Corps. The idea of Dox scheming against the Guardians and a little rivalry between the Corps and the L.E.G.I.O.N. always intrigued me. One of my favorite latter appearances of the L.E.G.I.O.N. was when Vril Dox got a Sinestro Corps ring. I always thought him as a part of that group would be intriguing as sort of a StarScream to Sinestro's Megatron.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Jeez, Hal really looks like he's having a mid-life crisis here.
    He kind of did at the beginning of the arc but I don't see it as a problem. It's all about how it's handled and The Road Back is a pretty good Hal story.

While some artists drew him better than others, I guess I just find it difficult to accept that a major character who does not look like this for the vast majority of his publication history is suddenly given this kind of look. Had it been an Elseworlds Hal it would've probably been a cool story, but I just don't get it. Maybe I'm far too stuck in my own ways but I don't believe the most prominent characters in a shared universe should be given the "elder statesman" treatment. Doesn't mean some good stories can't be told with them, but I just find it odd because it seems to have a rather short shelf-life.

Looks like Hal should be the lead in an 80s crime drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Looks like Hal should be the lead in an 80s crime drama.
    He looks like the bad guy of said drama lol.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Hal did got drawn much older than the members of the JSA.
    "Much older"? Nah.

Ugh... me in the mirror every morning.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Y'all must have some pretty young grandpa's! Lol. We should all be so lucky as to have Hal as our gramps!

While I don't think it was ever explicitly stated by Jones in the GL book, Hal was supposed to be approximately the same age as Ollie, who was explicitly stated to be 40 in Grell's GA run.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

While some artists drew him better than others, I guess I just find it difficult to accept that a major character who does not look like this for the vast majority of his publication history is suddenly given this kind of look. Had it been an Elseworlds Hal it would've probably been a cool story, but I just don't get it. Maybe I'm far too stuck in my own ways but I don't believe the most prominent characters in a shared universe should be given the "elder statesman" treatment. Doesn't mean some good stories can't be told with them, but I just find it odd because it seems to have a rather short shelf-life.
    In the late 80's DC was still very much trying to prove that comics weren't "just for kids"; a big part of that was portraying certain characters as having aged a bit since their inception (to mixed results).

Just goes to show that the first version of a character that we're introduced to is usually the "right" version in our respective heads. Nothing wrong with that!*

*Until someone starts attacking strangers on the internet over it; then they have issues.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Unrelated to Parallax, I actually do like Hal's temples. Though I agree, it's when Broderick draws them that they look good to me.