Page 225 of 298 FirstFirst ... 125175215221222223224225226227228229235275 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,375 of 4458

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think it's reputation as a bad film has been exaggerated, mostly by Reynolds due to his hellish experiences filming it. It's pretty watchable. Hell, Quentin Tarantino even put it on his list of favorite movies for 2011.
    Yep. It’s cheesy as all hell, but it’s not unwatchable like say Catwoman or Steel are. It’s like the 00s era F4 movies.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I think it gets a bum rap. It's not the best Superhero film or adaption of the GL franchise but I think it's enjoyable enough in its own right.

I'd say it's about on par with a few Phase 2 Marvel movies.

For what it's worth, Hal is easily one of the most popular characters from Super Hero Girls whenever I show it to my younger students. And the writers clearly love writing him.
    I haven't seen anything from Super Hero Girls, but on paper to me it sounds like a weird fit. What is his role there? A mentor to Jessica?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I haven't seen anything from Super Hero Girls, but on paper to me it sounds like a weird fit. What is his role there? A mentor to Jessica?
    Dumb jock who messes up but is still lovable. Jess kinda has a crush/hero worship thing for him I think (I don’t watch it but my littlest sister does so it’s fun asking her how she feels about the characters).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm not sure how I should feel about that...
    It depends on how you feel about Teen Titans Go! versions of those characters being the most widely known.

The DCSHG characters are less sociopathic and more overtly heroic, but the show is absolutely a comedy about deeply flawed teenager making bad decisions. I love Hal on the show. He's so hilariously vain and yet completely endearing at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Dumb jock who messes up but is still lovable. Jess kinda has a crush/hero worship thing for him I think (I don’t watch it but my littlest sister does so it’s fun asking her how she feels about the characters).
    The Hal/Jess relationship is absolutely not that

Jess is the stereotypical SJW and Hal is the stereotypical himbo jock. The running joke is that Jess thinks Hal is wrong about everything while Hal is too cocky to care because everything always ends up working out for him anyway thanks to his handsomeness and generally awesomeness.

I suspect Hal was meant to be more of a heel, but the writers have fallen in love with him so much that they keep giving him more stuff to do. He's easily the most featured of the Super Hero Boys because he's so much fun to write and put in crazy situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yep. It’s cheesy as all hell, but it’s not unwatchable like say Catwoman or Steel are. It’s like the 00s era F4 movies.
    Yeah, Catwoman and Steel are "kill them with fire" bad. At worst, Green Lantern is just bland and uninspired. The biggest problem with that film was that it cost an ungodly amount of money to make and made a fraction of that back. Warners thought they had an Iron Man on their hands and ended up with a money pit.

Dude can't even spell the letter "S" right. I admit I laughed at that.

Last edited by Johnny; 09-07-2021 at 12:47 AM.

Hal was in the new GL annual. I feel like he was a bit too aggressive for my liking, but at the same time he didn't really do anything wrong and didn't job to make someone else look cool. Unfortunately no real hints about what might be next for him.

I don't really know what to think about this. On one hand who is more within their rights to distrust the Yellow Lanterns and what they represent than Hal given what their leader has done to him in the past. On the other hand, I don't recall Hal being this much of a jerk towards Jessica before. When she was Power Ring, Hal trusted her and helped her take control of it, since then it's been obvious that Hal is fully aware that she is capable of overcoming her fears for the greater good, yet here he was being judgmental and didn't even wait to listen to her reasoning a few times. I'm not sure Hal was done justice here.

Though I guess you could also boil it down to the fact that he was upset and stressed out that so many of his fellow GLs had died in space.
    Last edited by Johnny; 09-07-2021 at 05:56 AM.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

The DCSHG version of Hal is ADORABLE. Please tell me he's voiced by Steve Blum.
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
    The DCSHG version of Hal is ADORABLE. Please tell me he's voiced by Steve Blum.
    No, he's voiced by Jason Spisak, who previously voiced Razer in the GL animated series. To my knowledge Blum has only voiced Hal in Injustice 2.

The Hal/Jess relationship is absolutely not that
    Oh - y'know Vordan (or his sister) might be referring to the previous incarnation of the show where Hal was older and more established as a GL and Jess was chosen to take over his earth duties when he had to go to OA for his final round of training. (or something) On the new show they're definitely more bro/sis. He's the Joey Lawrence to her Blossom.

From the sound of it, I won't be picking up the Annual just to see Hal act out of character and not demonstrate the friendship that Hal and Jessica has had up to now. What's he doing anyway? Are we supposed to believe that Hal's just waiting around doing nothing while the Corps has been destroyed?

I mean Hal seems to be guarding earth after hearing Jo’s message back in issue 3.

By the way I think this is in character for Hal, how many times has he seen his friends put on other lantern rings and then get corrupted (Soranik, Guy Gardner, himself, etc.) and then he is forced to fight them. So him being extremely weary especially when the corps blew up seems pretty fitting.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    From the sound of it, I won't be picking up the Annual just to see Hal act out of character and not demonstrate the friendship that Hal and Jessica has had up to now. What's he doing anyway? Are we supposed to believe that Hal's just waiting around doing nothing while the Corps has been destroyed?
    I think you should still check it out and make up your own mind. Unfortunately I tend to overreact at times when I feel Hal is being done wrong, and maybe to you he won't seem to be as out of character in this Annual as he did to me.