Page 254 of 298 FirstFirst ... 154204244250251252253254255256257258264 ... LastLast
Results 3,796 to 3,810 of 4458

Do you think we'll ever see Carol again?

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Do you think we'll ever see Carol again?
    We aren't even seeing Hal at the moment lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post

Such a great moment. Considering he went unfazed through an entire planet of vampires and tricked their queen into a long con, uh, DC vs. Vampires seems even more OOC.
    Last edited by Mutatis_Mutandis; 10-27-2021 at 01:03 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

We'll see Carol whenever Hal comes more into the spotlight again.

In the meantime, she's probably safer where she is (being ignored).

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I don't think they are adopting a "One GL in the entire universe" stance since John, Jo, Jessica and whoever the teen lantern is is getting some spotlight as far as I'm aware. It's just less focus on Hal, and the focus he does get isn't great.
    Oh no wasn't talking about this current run, referring to the Kyle era, only one GL in the entire DC universe for the first half of it's run.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    Regardless of our preference for Morrison or Johns, I think we can all agree that the portrayal of Hal in these current Elseworld stories leave a lot to be desired.
    I have no problem with Hal's depiction in either Last Ride or DC vs Vampires. Are we, as Hal fans, so thin-skinned that we can't handle two stories wherein Hal is possessed by evil entities? I mean, Hal spent a decade being possessed by an evil entity, so that's always going to be a part of the character's legacy. And we just got a whopping 15 years of Hal Jordan as indisputably heroic.

Is the character so fragile that you think a couple of stories that harken back to his prior history of being possessed will break him?

No fear, guys. No fear.

We love Hal Jordan for this. Be more like Hal Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I have no problem with Hal's depiction in either Last Ride or DC vs Vampires. Are we, as Hal fans, so thin-skinned that we can't handle two stories wherein Hal is possessed by evil entities? I mean, Hal spent a decade being possessed by an evil entity, so that's always going to be a part of the character's legacy. And we just got a whopping 15 years of Hal Jordan as indisputably heroic.

Is the character so fragile that you think a couple of stories that harken back to his prior history of being possessed will break him?

No fear, guys. No fear.

We love Hal Jordan for this. Be more like Hal Jordan.
    I think it's because Hal spent a decade before as a fallen hero and these two things being back to back that has us on edge a bit. Not helped by the fact that Thorne tweeted that Hal was only interesting as Parallax* and the screen writer for Apokolips War saying he sucked. And the other media avenues seemingly having less use for him. Add on all the fandom wars where other GL fans say he's the shittiest GL as backlash for his focus, you can't blame Hal fans for being a bit paranoid. When these stories and instances of slights start to build up, they can have a negative impact.

Let's be real: if Superman, Wonder Woman and Dick Grayson get fucked over by DC as much as they do....what chance does Hal have if things go south? Especially as there is a viable alternative many feel can be slotted right into his place (John) without missing a beat.

*To give Thorne the benefit of the doubt, he so far seems to be making good on his promise not to treat Hal poorly in the bookl

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    We aren't even seeing Hal at the moment lol.
    Huh? Were the three comics Hal appeared in the last month a mirage?

Does he have his own solo book? Nope. But you know who also doesn't have a solo book? Aquaman, who just starred in a movie that made a billion dollars and Green Arrow, who just starred in a popular TV show that lasted nearly a decade.

I understand you guys are frustrated that it's not 2008 again, but you've got to take a deep breath and get a little perspective.

I think it's because Hal spent a decade before as a fallen hero and these two things being back to back that has us on edge a bit. Not helped by the fact that Thorne tweeted that Hal was only interesting as Parallax* and the screen writer for Apokolips War saying he sucked. And the other media avenues seemingly having less use for him. Add on all the fandom wars where other GL fans say he's the shittiest GL as backlash for his focus, you can't blame Hal fans for being a bit paranoid. When these stories and instances of slights start to build up, they can have a negative impact.

Let's be real: if Superman, Wonder Woman and Dick Grayson get fucked over by DC as much as they do....what chance does Hal have if things go south? Especially as there is a viable alternative many feel can be slotted right into his place (John) without missing a beat.

*To give Thorne the benefit of the doubt, he so far seems to be making good on his promise not to treat Hal poorly in the bookl
    I absolutely can blame Hal fans for being paranoid because it's based on a pair of fairly innocuous stories that reference Hal's well-established past as a hero who got possessed by evil entities, and a pair of writers who don't particularly care for Hal Jordan. That's it.

Look, I love Hal Jordan. You love Hal Jordan. We all wish that he'd get more love and attention. But that's not always going to happen. I've been a Hal Jordan fan for literally decades now, and, believe me, there have been some times where the Hal offerings were pretty meager.

I hate to be the old man shaking his cane at you young whipper-snappers because you don't appreciate how good you have it now, but you guys reaaaaaaaalllly don't understand how good you have it now. You have piles and piles of Hal Jordan stuff across all mediums you can enjoy and you keep demanding more and more as if the way it was in 2008 is the way it always was and always should be.

That's not how it works, it's not how it worked, and it's not how it's going to work in the future. The sooner you make peace with that, the happier a Hal Jordan fan you're going to be.

This now ends my semi-annual rant about how silly you guys act sometimes.

I apologize for any hurt feelings. If anything I've said doesn't apply to you, then I wasn't talking about you. If it does sound like you, please take it to heart. Or not, and just ignore me so you don't have to read another one of these posts in a few months when the Hal Jordan Appreciation Thread 2022 starts losing it's **** because Hal Jordan is second billed in the GL movie rather than the star of his own 200 million dollar Hollywood movie (the horror!)
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 10-27-2021 at 05:47 PM.

I absolutely can blame Hal fans for being paranoid because it's based on a pair of fairly innocuous stories that reference Hal's well-established past as a hero who got possessed by evil entities, and a pair of writers who don't particularly care for Hal Jordan. That's it.
    Yeah but keep in mind Wonder Woman also has a history of being turned into an aggressive barbarian and/or arm candy for Superman or Batman, and it keeps happening, especially in Elseworlds. To use your own example of Aquaman making a billion, he doesn't have an ongoing and they turned him into a Nazi in a JSA DTV.

And Wonder Woman is definitely much less expendable to DC/WB than Hal is, and maybe Aquaman is too because he doesn't have a John Stewart around.

Look, I love Hal Jordan. You love Hal Jordan. We all wish that he'd get more love and attention. But that's not always going to happen. I've been a Hal Jordan fan for literally decades now, and, believe me, there have been some times where the Hal offerings were pretty meager.

I hate to be the old man shaking his cane at you young whipper-snappers because you don't appreciate how good you have it now, but you guys reaaaaaaaalllly don't understand how good you have it now. You have piles and piles of Hal Jordan stuff across all mediums you can enjoy and you keep demanding more and more as if the way it was in 2008 is the way it always was and always should be.

That's not how it works, it's not how it worked, and it's not how it's going to work in the future. The sooner you make peace with that, the happier a Hal Jordan fan you're going to be.
    I'm not demanding Hal get more content immediately or be the center of attention above all the other GLs 24/7. I have said in quite a few posts in this thread I'd be perfectly content if Hal just flew off into space at the end of Morrison's run and that was the last we saw of him for a little bit while someone else got a turn. I'm content with the recent content we have between Johns, Morrison and stuff like GLTAS, so I caution Hal fans who act entitled and demand he get more content or freak out whenever he doesn't show up in any upcoming solicits. I don't need him to be in all the projects, I personally would be ok if he got kept away until a good pitch was used for him.

But I may not be as old as you, but I've been around enough to experience Dick Grayson getting shot in the head, Wally West getting HiC'd, DCEU Superman (Scrapped plans or no), Injustice Superman, and Wonder Woman getting jack **** on the animated series front when the other Trinity members each get a new cartoon, but oh well she gets to be in an Injustice adaptation as a consolation prize. The company doesn't elicit a lot of trust for anyone except Batman. So while I think some Hal fans go way overboard in being concerned (and GL fans in general seem to be a particular brand of terrible as far as DC fanbases go), I also don't think every concern is silly considering his own past and the treatment of other characters who are on part or even more important than he is.

Huh? Were the three comics Hal appeared in the last month a mirage?

Does he have his own solo book? Nope. But you know who also doesn't have a solo book? Aquaman, who just starred in a movie that made a billion dollars and Green Arrow, who just starred in a popular TV show that lasted nearly a decade.

I understand you guys are frustrated that it's not 2008 again, but you've got to take a deep breath and get a little perspective.
    Think part of the frustration comes down to Hal going from the #2 guy at DC where he had a hugely successful run and bestselling events he was the star of… to now. Over the course of a single decade no less! Clearly the powers that be at WB still blame the character for the movie bombing. Which means Barry is completely screwed if that upcoming Flash movie flops.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar
    Last edited by StarSpangledMan; 10-27-2021 at 08:35 PM.

Yeah but keep in mind Wonder Woman also has a history of being turned into an aggressive barbarian and/or arm candy for Superman or Batman, and it keeps happening, especially in Elseworlds. To use your own example of Aquaman making a billion, he doesn't have an ongoing and they turned him into a Nazi in a JSA DTV.

And Wonder Woman is definitely much less expendable to DC/WB than Hal is, and maybe Aquaman is too because he doesn't have a John Stewart around.

But I may not be as old as you, but I've been around enough to experience Dick Grayson getting shot in the head, Wally West getting HiC'd, DCEU Superman (Scrapped plans or no), Injustice Superman, and Wonder Woman getting jack **** on the animated series front when the other Trinity members each get a new cartoon, but oh well she gets to be in an Injustice adaptation as a consolation prize. The company doesn't elicit a lot of trust for anyone except Batman. So while I think some Hal fans go way overboard in being concerned (and GL fans in general seem to be a particular brand of terrible as far as DC fanbases go), I also don't think every concern is silly considering his own past and the treatment of other characters who are on part or even more important than he is.
    Yes, characters get treated poorly sometimes. Big characters. It happens to everyone. Superman. Wonder Woman. Flash. Nightwing. Everyone. Even Batman has gone through periods wherein he was being handled badly. This is simply the way things work sometimes. Characters will have periods where things are going great and characters will have periods where things aren't. So why should we expect Hal Jordan to somehow be immune to this?

The problem I'm having is when Hal Jordan was in the big crossover event, in addition to appearing twice a month in a comic named after him, this thread complained incessantly that he was being mistreated. When Hal Jordan was starring in an all-time great run by Grant &%$#ing Morrison and a star-making turn by Liam Sharp, this thread kept on complaining that he was somehow being mistreated because he wasn't on the Justice League. And now that it appears that Hal will be joining the Justice League, we're complaining that a couple of Elseworlds stories are referencing his time being possessed by evil entities.

I understand and sympathize that everything doesn't always work out exactly the way you want it to, and that most of the time, bad creative decisions are regularly made with the characters we love. On that, we are in complete agreement. It sucks. However, the level of fear on a thread dedicated to appreciating a man defined by his ability to overcome his fears is simply flabbergasting to me sometimes.

I'm not demanding Hal get more content immediately or be the center of attention above all the other GLs 24/7. I have said in quite a few posts in this thread I'd be perfectly content if Hal just flew off into space at the end of Morrison's run and that was the last we saw of him for a little bit while someone else got a turn. I'm content with the recent content we have between Johns, Morrison and stuff like GLTAS, so I caution Hal fans who act entitled and demand he get more content or freak out whenever he doesn't show up in any upcoming solicits. I don't need him to be in all the projects, I personally would be ok if he got kept away until a good pitch was used for him.
    On this, we are in agreement, too. And I would direct you to the portion of my post wherein I said "I apologize for any hurt feelings. If anything I've said doesn't apply to you, then I wasn't talking about you. If it does sound like you, please take it to heart."
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 10-27-2021 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Think part of the frustration comes down to Hal going from the #2 guy at DC where he had a hugely successful run and bestselling events he was the star of… to now. Over the course of a single decade no less! Clearly the powers that be at WB still blame the character for the movie bombing. Which means Barry is completely screwed if that upcoming Flash movie flops.
    Yes, that's why I keep referencing 2008 over and over again. To expect Hal Jordan to remain at that height of prominence is simply unrealistic. It's like Superman fans who want to turn back time to 1950s when that character was indisputably the most popular, best selling superhero in the world. Time has moved on, and we as fans need to move on to and temper our expectations.

Popular culture is looking for more diverse superheroes and Hal Jordan is yet another American white dude in a sea of American white dudes. It's perfectly understandable that he's going to be less of a priority for the soulless corporate ghouls who control that IP. I'm not asking anyone to be throwing a party that our boy Hal is no longer DC's #2 character, but I think we've got to break out of this seemingly endless cycle of worrying ourselves into a frenzy that DC is somehow trying to sabotage Hal Jordan because they published two Elseworlds stories playing off Emerald Twilight, which, like it or not, remains one of Hal's seminal stories.