Page 289 of 298 FirstFirst ... 189239279285286287288289290291292293 ... LastLast
Results 4,321 to 4,335 of 4458

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Always loved how Morrison is dismissive of the idea of "humanizing" Hal like other writers have tried in the past. They're like "Nah, this guy is just that good at his job and he knows it. You don't need to give him more personal problems to try to make the audience relate to him. He's just a chill dude who gets things done and that's what we'll show about him".

On a side-note I didn't know Morrison was talked into doing the second season of TGL, I knew about being talked into doing GL in general, but didn't know that was the case with season two as well. That probably shows why it's so much more bonkers than season one lol. DC pretty much gave them free reign and Morrison went all out on the "weird and experimental" as they put it.
    (Shrug)I like how human Hal is as a character. Of course I also think of him as a guy who gets stuff done in spite of his personal problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Laimbeer View Post
    He can get to be a tiring character sometimes with his mental wrestling match of "Green Lantern is always in my way, I want a normal life/No, I love being GL!" This was going on as far back as the Silver Age when he went wandering for the first time. I can understand why a person would prefer Arisia over Carol, despite the former being loaded with baggage, because Carol was often at the heart of this indecision. It's okay to go through that arc once, but writers throughout history (Gardner Fox, Len Wein, Steve Englehart, Gerard Jones, maybe some others) put him on this kinda' annoying seesaw.

Part of my problem with it isn't just the low parts, it's also the high parts. When he goes back to being GL he has this kind of weird exuberance where the writers are like, "We have to show that he's HAPPY now! Let's show him at a Dodgers game, and be sure to show those pictures of him flying in the sky with the clouds and the birds, while he thinks about how much he loves being GL!" It starts seeming kinda' tacky to me after a while, while also making him seem somewhat manic depressive. I guess why I have trouble really getting behind it is that a lot of his problems are self induced.
    That's kind of life...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Laimbeer View Post
    He can get to be a tiring character sometimes with his mental wrestling match of "Green Lantern is always in my way, I want a normal life/No, I love being GL!" This was going on as far back as the Silver Age when he went wandering for the first time. I can understand why a person would prefer Arisia over Carol, despite the former being loaded with baggage, because Carol was often at the heart of this indecision. It's okay to go through that arc once, but writers throughout history (Gardner Fox, Len Wein, Steve Englehart, Gerard Jones, maybe some others) put him on this kinda' annoying seesaw.

Part of my problem with it isn't just the low parts, it's also the high parts. When he goes back to being GL he has this kind of weird exuberance where the writers are like, "We have to show that he's HAPPY now! Let's show him at a Dodgers game, and be sure to show those pictures of him flying in the sky with the clouds and the birds, while he thinks about how much he loves being GL!" It starts seeming kinda' tacky to me after a while, while also making him seem somewhat manic depressive. I guess why I have trouble really getting behind it is that a lot of his problems are self induced.
    Ya know Bill I have always been Team Arisia despite the naysayers because I like her, and like her with Hal but a big part of it was I was tired of Carol, because she was the source of Hal being torn about being a Lantern or giving up being a Lantern altogether.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    If it was a mini series for Hal, I would have liked to have seen it.

I enjoyed Venditti's run (loved his Hawkman to) but ultimately he couldn't keep the Green Lantern sales as high as Geoff Johns did, so it's probably why DC opted for Morrison or the current run....ironically for me, both of which I have not been able to get into.
    I would'nt mind a series that had Hal star in.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    If it was a mini series for Hal, I would have liked to have seen it.

I enjoyed Venditti's run (loved his Hawkman to) but ultimately he couldn't keep the Green Lantern sales as high as Geoff Johns did, so it's probably why DC opted for Morrison or the current run....ironically for me, both of which I have not been able to get into.
    How is the current run doing, relatively speaking? Not compared to all time highs but to other non Bat DC books right now? Is it doing ok or just biding it's time until the next rebranding?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    I would'nt mind a series that had Hal star in.
    Not a fan of Hitch's current work but a Venditti's written, Darryl Banks drawn Hal centered GL book, could easily be at the top of my DC pull list.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    How is the current run doing, relatively speaking? Not compared to all time highs but to other non Bat DC books right now? Is it doing ok or just biding it's time until the next rebranding?
    Its doing ok, close to Morrison/Sharp Season Two numbers. But it obviously doesn't mean that DC won't relaunch it few months later.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Its doing ok, close to Morrison/Sharp Season Two numbers. But it obviously doesn't mean that DC won't relaunch it few months later.

I can understand why DC is doing this GL run right now for diversity and it's well written and interesting. But it eventually will reach a conclusion, and then maybe we can get Hal back. Well we do know that Hal is alive and his ring works. Just don't know why he's not curious about Oa .

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I haven't been a regular reader since Morrison's Run (Season 1). I tried giving the current series a try but not my style.

Whatever happened to Hal? What's his current status?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    I haven't been a regular reader since Morrison's Run (Season 1). I tried giving the current series a try but not my style.

Whatever happened to Hal? What's his current status?
    He's currently the GL of Earth and it appears that he'll be rejoining the JLA during Bendis's Justice League vs Legion of Super-Heroes story.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    He's currently the GL of Earth and it appears that he'll be rejoining the JLA during Bendis's Justice League vs Legion of Super-Heroes story.
    Thanks. I liked the voice Bendis brought to Superman. I'm hazy with how he portrayed Hal though.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post

Hal being on Earth with his ring functioning has been shown in Thorne's GL run. But it's uncharacteristic of Hal, not to do anything.
    You would think that he would fly to Oa to see what's going on, but he doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKryptonMan View Post
    Hal being on Earth with his ring functioning has been shown in Thorne's GL run. But it's uncharacteristic of Hal, not to do anything.
    I'm perfectly ok with this based off these circumstances. Thorne is no fan of Hal. I'm happy (and respect) that all he did was place him on the sidelines.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheKryptonMan View Post
    I dunno, the set-up of Earth being a Crux World and Hal being charged with ensuring its safety seems like a good enough explanation for why he's not abandoning his post to run off to Oa. I'm sure there's plenty keeping him busy on Earth. Just because we're not regularly seeing Hal show up in comics doesn't mean he's not doing anything.

I'm fine with Hal being on Earth but they're barely showing it.