Page 292 of 298 FirstFirst ... 192242282288289290291292293294295296 ... LastLast
Results 4,366 to 4,380 of 4458

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Waid's Hal reminds me more of Johns than Morrison personally, at least from what I've read. Maybe a little more straightlaced than either take.
    Of course the last time he wrote Hal was back during the peak of the Johns era on GL, so who knows how he’d write him now.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Of course the last time he wrote Hal was back during the peak of the Johns era on GL, so who knows how he’d write him now.
    Was Hal back by the time of that Flash/GL mini? I think you're thinking of Waid writing him during his Brave and the Bold run.

Was Hal back by the time of that Flash/GL mini? I think you're thinking of Waid writing him during his Brave and the Bold run.
    B&tB is what I’m thinking of yeah
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Waid's Hal reminds me more of Johns than Morrison personally, at least from what I've read. Maybe a little more straightlaced than either take.
    Waid was writing young Hal in Year One and Brave & Bold and Johns's Hal was heavily indebted to that characterization.

My issue isn't with that characterization of Hal. I enjoy hotshot Hal Jordan very much, but Morrison evolved the character further into something even more interesting that feels like the next logical step from that.

Like I said, Waid is a good enough writer that he wouldn't simply ignore Morrison's work in order to bring Hal back to where he was when he last wrote him.

I wasn't really crazy about Waid's depiction of Hal in JLA:Y1 and B&B. Not to mention that whole "She's only 17.... 17, 17, 17" thing when he wrote Hal's teamup with Supergirl.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    By Mike McKone.

That's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Waid was writing young Hal in Year One and Brave & Bold and Johns's Hal was heavily indebted to that characterization.

My issue isn't with that characterization of Hal. I enjoy hotshot Hal Jordan very much, but Morrison evolved the character further into something even more interesting that feels like the next logical step from that.

Like I said, Waid is a good enough writer that he wouldn't simply ignore Morrison's work in order to bring Hal back to where he was when he last wrote him.
    I think I would more expect Waid to build off a "classic" Hal than to write him like Morrison did but a Waid Hal would probably be assured and confident like Morrison's Hal.

I think I would more expect Waid to build off a "classic" Hal than to write him like Morrison did but a Waid Hal would probably be assured and confident like Morrison's Hal.
    Maybe, but Waid doesn’t write Clark like a Pre-Crisis throwback despite having a lot of love for that incarnation. Don’t think he’d write a Hal that feels straight out of the Silver Age.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Maybe, but Waid doesn’t write Clark like a Pre-Crisis throwback despite having a lot of love for that incarnation. Don’t think he’d write a Hal that feels straight out of the Silver Age.
    Would anyone ?

Astonishing Member

Wasn't Mark Waid also the writer of Kingdom Come? That turned out as a best seller.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Wasn't Mark Waid also the writer of Kingdom Come? That turned out as a best seller.
    He’s written numerous high profile hits over his career with KC being one of them yeah.

Some version of Hal/Spectre pops up in "Justice League Incarnate" #2...
    Screenshot-2021-12-21-111549.jpg

Quite the company to keep. I take it it's an Earth where he didn't get a "Rebirth" and just remained The Spectre.

Quite the company to keep. I take it it's an Earth where he didn't get a "Rebirth" and just remained The Spectre.
    That and it's Hal's "Supernatural" identity which is probably why he turned up.

Earth-13, the magic/horror-type world. Where the Justice League is the league of shadows, Etrigan is Superman, and John Constantine is actually in a heroic outfit called the Hellblazer.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.