Page 293 of 298 FirstFirst ... 193243283289290291292293294295296297 ... LastLast
Results 4,381 to 4,395 of 4458
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Earth-13, the magic/horror-type world. Where the Justice League is the league of shadows, Etrigan is Superman, and John Constantine is actually in a heroic outfit called the Hellblazer.
    Was earth 13 from multiversity?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I wasn't really crazy about Waid's depiction of Hal in JLA:Y1 and B&B. Not to mention that whole "She's only 17.... 17, 17, 17" thing when he wrote Hal's teamup with Supergirl.
    Jailbait was unfortunately what they were going for during the Loeb/Turner incarnation of the character. Can't really blame Waid for not ignoring that fairly prominent aspect of the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think I would more expect Waid to build off a "classic" Hal than to write him like Morrison did but a Waid Hal would probably be assured and confident like Morrison's Hal.
    I'm not expecting Waid to do exactly what Morrison did, nor would I want him to, but I think he's a good enough writer that he'd use Morrison's interpretation as a jumping off point, rather than ignoring it completely as most writers would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Jailbait was unfortunately what they were going for during the Loeb/Turner incarnation of the character. Can't really blame Waid for not ignoring that fairly prominent aspect of the character.
    I can totally blame Waid for how he chose to depict Hal dealing with it, and yes, I can blame Waid for choosing to go along with it - dressing her in a babydoll outfit, etc in a one-off teamup comic where he could have just portrayed her as a hero. Saying "Well, Leob and Turner were doing it" does not make the depiction of "jailbait Supergirl" okay - especially since they seemed to indulge in it, rather than simply acknowledge it, or challenge it in a meaningful way.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Was earth 13 from multiversity?
    Yes it was, I believe it was the introduction of that earth.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I can totally blame Waid for how he chose to depict Hal dealing with it, and yes, I can blame Waid for choosing to go along with it - dressing her in a babydoll outfit, etc in a one-off teamup comic where he could have just portrayed her as a hero. Saying "Well, Leob and Turner were doing it" does not make the depiction of "jailbait Supergirl" okay - especially since they seemed to indulge in it, rather than simply acknowledge it, or challenge it in a meaningful way.
    Absolutely, I would have preferred Waid pushed back against it, too. I'm sure he's not particularly proud of it, either, but no one's got a spotless record in comics when you've been around for that long. There's always some clunkers, and Waid's definitely had his fair share. Remember Cobalt Blue? Barry Allen's evil twin brother separated at birth?

Eesh

Absolutely, I would have preferred Waid pushed back against it, too. I'm sure he's not particularly proud of it, either, but no one's got a spotless record in comics when you've been around for that long. There's always some clunkers, and Waid's definitely had his fair share. Remember Cobalt Blue? Barry Allen's evil twin brother separated at birth?

Eesh
    I would not presume any such thing - I'm not sure why you are giving him the benefit of the doubt. Either way, we don't know which Waid we'd get if he wrote a Hal series. I'd be open-minded and see what he gave us, but I would be a bit apprehensive going into it, is all.

I'm not expecting Waid to do exactly what Morrison did, nor would I want him to, but I think he's a good enough writer that he'd use Morrison's interpretation as a jumping off point, rather than ignoring it completely as most writers would do.
    I wonder if we'd even notice a difference.

I would not presume any such thing - I'm not sure why you are giving him the benefit of the doubt. Either way, we don't know which Waid we'd get if he wrote a Hal series. I'd be open-minded and see what he gave us, but I would be a bit apprehensive going into it, is all.
    I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because Mark Waid has been one of the most honest and forthright comics professionals working in the industry for literally decades. He's never been afraid of owning up to when he's made mistakes, be it bad writing or bad behavior. Given his looooonng track record of being unsparing about his own work, I would be extraordinarily surprised if his going along with DC's idiotic Jailbait Supergirl shtick was where he decided to draw the line and refuse to own up to the terrible of it

I wonder if we'd even notice a difference.
    I certainly would.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Yes it was, I believe it was the introduction of that earth.
    Is it worth getting (if the main reason was Hal?)

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Is it worth getting (if the main reason was Hal?)
    Not really, its more worth it if you want to know more on Grant Morrison's crazy take on the multiverse that has spread out to other comics.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I certainly would.
    I guess I wouldn't, but I just foresee Waid writing Hal as Hal.

I guess I wouldn't, but I just foresee Waid writing Hal as Hal.
    That's what Johns and Morrison did, too. Sorry, I'm not sure what what you're talking about here. Of course Waid would write Hal. My point is that Waid wouldn't simply ignore the character development that Hal's undergone since last writing the character as most writers tend to do. This isn't just a Hal-centric problem, though. Batman's been stuck in an endless cycle of getting over being such a colossal douchebag only for lesser writers to completely ignore that development and revert him to the same exact ******* he was before to the point that Batman's default personality is so utterly unlikeable that they made an entire movie about it.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because Mark Waid has been one of the most honest and forthright comics professionals working in the industry for literally decades. He's never been afraid of owning up to when he's made mistakes, be it bad writing or bad behavior. Given his looooonng track record of being unsparing about his own work, I would be extraordinarily surprised if his going along with DC's idiotic Jailbait Supergirl shtick was where he decided to draw the line and refuse to own up to the terrible of it
    Maybe I missed something, but is there any reason to think that Waid isn't a fan of "Jailbait Supergirl" take himself?