Page 30 of 298 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Might catch flak for this but as a minority, based on the up and coming GL writer's recent comments, I'm glad he won't be writing Hal.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

What did he say?
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    Might catch flak for this but as a minority, based on the up and coming GL writer's recent comments, I'm glad he won't be writing Hal.
    Did Thorne say anything about Hal, besides those infamous Twitter posts?

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    Did Thorne say anything about Hal, besides those infamous Twitter posts?
    Not about Hal but about the X-Men being dangerous minorities against whom there should be "reasonable" xenophobia. Kind of blew up on Twitter.

Incredible Member

Not about Hal but about the X-Men being dangerous minorities against whom there should be "reasonable" xenophobia. Kind of blew up on Twitter.
    Ouch.

I kinda understand what he was trying to say, but I am not entirely sure this is the sort of discussion to have on social media.

To be fair I'm personally less concerned with Geoff Thorne(I will check out the new book since it feels unfair to write it off without even giving it a chance) and more concerned with the fact that Hal is nowhere to be found in this new DC direction. I will reserve judgment about how he appears to have been aged up again for no logical reason in the final pages of Death Metal, but DC's radio silence about him likely isn't indicative of having a lot of plans for him.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-20-2021 at 06:40 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    To be fair I'm personally less concerned with Geoff Thorne(I will check out the new book since it feels unfair to write it off without even giving it a chance) and more concerned with the fact that Hal is nowhere to be found in this new DC direction. I will reserve judgment about how he appears to have been aged up again for no logical reason in the final pages of Death Metal, but DC's radio silence about him likely isn't indicative of having a lot of plans for him.
    I don't think Hal has been aged, and to be honest, we haven't seen anything from any GL other than John and Simon in the previews.

Ouch.

I kinda understand what he was trying to say, but I am not entirely sure this is the sort of discussion to have on social media.
    I mean he seems woefully unaware of the history of policing of minorities (which have been done under the exact pretext that he offered). Kind of crossed the line for me when he tried justifying surveilling and tracking them because that hits too close to the real world. And with the policing themes present in GL already (which I think Morrison has wonderfully subverted in small moments), I don't think I want a person espousing such views to be writing Hal.

Incredible Member

I mean he seems woefully unaware of the history of policing of minorities (which have been done under the exact pretext that he offered). Kind of crossed the line for me when he tried justifying surveilling and tracking them because that hits too close to the real world. And with the policing themes present in GL already (which I think Morrison has wonderfully subverted in small moments), I don't think I want a person espousing such views to be writing Hal.
    I think the point he was trying to make is that in opposition to real minorities, the mutants have powers that can kill/destroy our world, and thus fearing that -as a sort of survival mechanism- makes more sense than fearing real life minorities.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    xm studios are making beautiful statues. they made hal first.

and now they made sinestro.

this would be an epic face off.
    If only I had more money and a bigger shelf
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I think the point he was trying to make is that in opposition to real minorities, the mutants have powers that can kill/destroy our world, and thus fearing that -as a sort of survival mechanism- makes more sense than fearing real life minorities.
    The problem with this take again is that the policing of minorites has always taken place under the pretext that they were an internal threat to the body politic of society (and hence, society must be defended, etc). Look up something like the Criminal Tribes Act in India for instance, passed under colonialism and targeting the hijra population. The "justified" reason for xenophobia he provides is the exact same reason that has been bandied about historically. There is no a priori reason to assume that people who possess powers (especially in the world of comics - where practically everyone possesses potentially world-destroying powers) are inherently a threat to the rest of us. This is without even going into bits and parts of his thread that talk about mutants posing a danger to the demography of the human population. I don't think I need to point out which road that kind of "we're an endangered demography because of the increase in numbers of a minority population" rhetoric leads down.

I'll agree with him that the MLK/Malcolm X comparisons are not in good taste. But not with a single word of anything else he said.

Incredible Member

The problem with this take again is that the policing of minorites has always taken place under the pretext that they were an internal threat to the body politic of society (and hence, society must be defended, etc). Look up something like the Criminal Tribes Act in India for instance, passed under colonialism and targeting the hijra population. The "justified" reason for xenophobia he provides is the exact same reason that has been bandied about historically. There is no a priori reason to assume that people who possess powers (especially in the world of comics - where practically everyone possesses potentially world-destroying powers) are inherently a threat to the rest of us. This is without even going into bits and parts of his thread that talk about mutants posing a danger to the demography of the human population. I don't think I need to point out which road that kind of "we're an endangered demography because of the increase in numbers of a minority population" rhetoric leads down.

I'll agree with him that the MLK/Malcolm X comparisons are not in good taste. But not with a single word of anything else he said.
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I fully agree with you. I think this is unfortunate, and I am just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    xm studios are making beautiful statues. they made hal first.

and now they made sinestro.

this would be an epic face off.
    Are they the same scale?