Page 4 of 298 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

The Cartoon Network wanted a CGI show, and at the time the costs were close to $1 million per episode. The show was well received and was a hit from a ratings perspective. However, shows then had toy revenue baked into the budget process- and because the movie toys didn’t sell, not enough retailers were willing to commit to buying a toy line. With no income generated by toy contracts the show was doomed.
    Visit The Blog of Oa for Green Lantern News, Reviews, Podcasts and more

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I'm ashamed to say I've never seen an entire episode of GL:TAS.

However it's now added to my list on HBOmax and I intend to remedy that this weekend!
    That's surprising. I thought a lot of people watched the show and it only got cancelled because of lack of toy sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I can't speak for others but the animation, at a glance or still image, looks cheap. Overly simplified designs based on block-shaped design theory does tell a lot of western audiences "this is for children" so it didn't help itself. You could argue BTAS does the same, but traditional animation translates that better than CGI, which if you don't have a lot of light sources and such can look very unappealing visually.

For me, the show just didn't pop when I saw stills so I just kept putting off watching it until I eventually forgot about it. I hear lots of praise for it so I'm going to start a watch-through of it soon.
    I've seen much cheaper looking CGI animation...although I wouldn't go in expecting the final season of Clone Wars, but it still looks pretty darn solid in my opinion.

I thought the CG was fine with space and alien environments, it's when they went to Earth (specifically cities) is where it looked bad.

Astonishing Member

I'm probably in the minority, I liked the animation style.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    It wasn't given a chance to find an audience. Bruce Timm apparently called it the best show he ever worked with that nobody ever saw.
    It was clear, to me, that a lot of heart went into the series. I was not crazy over the CGI, but was hooked by the emphasis on characterization.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    One of few artists who made Hal's grey temples look good.
    Big fan of Pat Broderick's work in Green Lantern and Captain Atom.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    It was clear, to me, that a lot of heart went into the series. I was not crazy over the CGI, but was hooked by the emphasis on characterization.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Thanks for the head's up!
    Attachment 104018
    love the grin...

steampunk lantern and green lantern

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    love the grin...
    That's Hal's "look of love" -- it was the first time he saw the Interceptor.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    The charaterization was great, especially for Hal.

I love how the 4 main cast were portrayed and how they interacted with each other.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post

I love how the 4 main cast were portrayed and how they interacted with each other.
    Honestly every character who was introduced on the cartoon was likable and made the show watchable which is rare. Despite it being a CGI cartoon, Green Lantern was one of the few shows where it was a strength and not a weakness.

Hal definitely was a leading man in the show. He was that fine balance between cocky and confident, charismatic and a efficient leader with reckless abandonment. Not a lot of people can handle Hal that work.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post

At first glance, I was not interested in the set-up, especially not Aya & Razor. But, they grew on me.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman2978 View Post
    Honestly every character who was introduced on the cartoon was likable and made the show watchable which is rare. Despite it being a CGI cartoon, Green Lantern was one of the few shows where it was a strength and not a weakness.

Hal definitely was a leading man in the show. He was that fine balance between cocky and confident, charismatic and a efficient leader with reckless abandonment. Not a lot of people can handle Hal that work.
    Yes, indeed. I was particularly impressed with how Hal & Guy were presented. Around that time in the comics, they were way to similar, imo. The show displayed their clearly distinct personalities while making both enjoyable to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    That's Hal's "look of love" -- it was the first time he saw the Interceptor.
    carol would have been jealous.