Page 48 of 298 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    While it's fine to like or dislike a character, one thing I find really annoying about a lot of rabid Hal haters is how they project their own dislike onto others' reasons for liking the character. Like one possibly can't have genuine reasons for liking the character, it's only because he was "the first" or whatever. But meh. Hal has had an excellent run and I'm sure he'll return when the time comes.
    That or saying he was never popular and only had appearances because editorial mandated he be at the forefront, not because he was getting any positive reception from anybody. Or using the movie and JL/U as proof that he's never had other media success and John has (despite GL: TAS not getting cancelled due to poor ratings or low critical reception, but toy sales).

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I always found it odd how he usually gets referred to as the Silver Age Lantern or that his nostalgia is his only appeal. Not liked he stopped appearing after whenever people decide the Silver Age ended and only recently got brought back.
    Yeah he made it all through the Bronze Age and into the modern age before being Parallaxed. And he's been back longer than he was gone.

He's no more a Silver Age only character than basically all of Marvel's major characters. I can sort of see that argument applied to Barry since he was dead longer, but it doesn't really fit Hal.

Edit. Some cool art by Bruce Timm.

Last edited by Johnny; 02-07-2021 at 02:37 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post

Looks great. Now someone convince him to get the GLTAS band back together.

Looks a little like the design they used for his cameo in JLU.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The preview definitely reads as meta for a swan song for Hal because the current plans for DC don't have a place for him.

I'm personally fine with it. This is a much better send off than Emerald Twilight, so if Hal is sitting out for a bit we have some good content to see him off from a creative team that clearly likes and understands him. And other GLs need time in the spotlight; John may not be a favorite of mine, but he is long overdue for such a thing after JL/U.

I just worry we'll be getting attempts at meta commentary if not outright character bashing from other writers that he's a worthless character and all the other GLs are better. And the anti-Hal fans may get worse.
    it is sometimes frustrating...

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

I just worry we'll be getting attempts at meta commentary if not outright character bashing from other writers that he's a worthless character and all the other GLs are better.
    Not on my watch.

This will not be that kind of party.

Astonishing Member

The last part doesn't really bother me. Lord knows people like that have said all there is to say about the Hal Jordan character and continue to do so with zero consequences, so that is to be expected regardless of what happens to Hal in the future. He will always be an easy target no matter where he is on DC's pecking order. I will give the new direction a chance and whatever happens to Hal or however he is "reimagined" during this new era, I will try to avoid acting in a similar fashion towards other characters or creators as other people have acted towards Hal before, or blaming management for whatever's happening to my favorite characters. As a wise man once said "the cream always rises to the top" and Hal is no different. He's already proved it before.
    You're a better man than I am Johnny.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    You're a better man than I am Johnny.
    I'm really not. I edited my previous post to a Bruce Timm artwork because I was going on a rant about those folks right after I posted I would try to avoid acting in a similar fashion. At least I can admit being a walking contradiction, but I guess that's not saying too much.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'm really not. I edited my previous post to a Bruce Timm artwork because I was going on a rant about those folks right after I posted I would try to avoid acting in a similar fashion. At least I can admit being a walking contradiction, but I guess that's not saying too much.
    It's the first step towards change. I have to edit a lot of my own posts in... Well post because I get a bit too heated. Hell, these last few days I've been letting my politics get the better of me and have been posting a bit more aggressively than usual.

Being able to see you've made an error and take a step to correct it is pretty rad, dude.

Astonishing Member

To be honest though, I find it cathartic when I read someone who can express their frustration. I am not encouraging you to rant or anything like that. I just find it hepful knowing that other people know what I feel on certain topics. Hal for example. I'm actually a little jealous of the people here on the board who know how to express their appreciation and/or displeasure. This thead is nice and civil on the rare occasion that there are disagreements.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Not on my watch.

This will not be that kind of party.
    We appreciate it. The GL franchise has had enough pointless division to last us for a few decades. Giving one character the spotlight shouldn’t mean denigrating or tearing down any of the other characters who also share that mantle. It was the original sin of Emerald Twilight that GL fandom has been saddled with ever since.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

As long as it’s respectful towards those who feel differently, there ain’t nothing wrong with blowing off steam. And a Hal Jordan Appreciation Thread without Johnny being grumpy that it isn’t 2008 anymore just wouldn’t feel right

We love you, man.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Been re-reading TGL and Morrison's Hal is like Luke (from cool hand luke), some western hero, a sort of cosmic beatnik, Doctor Who, and James Bond all rolled into one (found this a bit hard to articulate lol - but I get the vibe that he'd work in so many different genre settings, be it fantasy, sci-fi, western, horror or some gritty noir, and maybe even comedy).