Page 51 of 298 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I recognize Major Disaster, the Shark and Black Hand, and Hal named dropped those guys, but who are the other two? I think one is Dr. Polaris.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Not on my watch.

This will not be that kind of party.
    This is reassuring as far as your content goes. Good to know

Astonishing Member

Excited that GL:S2 11 came out today and Ultrawar kicks off. While I'm not 100% where Morrison is going with this, I admit in spite of being a devotee I rarely am more than partially aware of where an endgame is going in his stories. The balance of Young Guardians, souls of the Prior Guardians (finally name-checked) and what they're up to and how it ties with this Nomad Empire of Gilded Giants from Eons Past and what kind of crazy space age super-heroic cosmic shenanigans you have to get up to to test your Top Gun GL and thwart them is interesting. It's also great and something I really, REALLY should have seen coming that the climactic battle take place on Athmoora thus giving Morrison & Sharpe the playground to take Green Lantern with his Magic Ring and put him in a proper Fantasy Middle-Earth LOTR style scenario. I'm ridiculously eager to finish this story so I can re-read the whole run and pick up the clues because it's so wild and far flung but also not "that" complex. Morrison playing it about as straight as he can, frankly, but the DCU and weirdness and references are a deep enough bench that it still ends up being complex.

Sharpe's artwork here was I think just from fresh memory one of the better issues he's done. I've liked the detours, off-beat issues, wild style shifts, but this one feels cleaner and feels like it shows more of what's going on, all while still giving him Fantasy Vistas and Fantasy Maps to make wild layouts with.

I like that it "all comes down to Hal Jordan" and that the Guardians are basically aiming him like a bullet at an ancient enemy but are aligning back toward bureaucracy after this experimental attack is over and asking him to take a back-seat, thus setting up ... rather effortlessly and organically and, frankly, in-character all-round, the next phase of the GL story in the DCU. I'll certainly have more to say as this rounds out and finishes up. As for the Five Lantern Villains who turned up ... Shark, Black Hand, Major Disaster and Doctor Polaris seem obvious. I'm pretty sure the fifth man (or sixth, counting Hector) is Sonar in a vintage costume.

No, I stand corrected. It's the Original Tattooed Man.

This is the Hal topic, but I was very pleased to also get a nice little John Stewart story this week.
    Last edited by K. Jones; 02-09-2021 at 08:02 PM.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I recognize Major Disaster, the Shark and Black Hand, and Hal named dropped those guys, but who are the other two? I think one is Dr. Polaris.

This is reassuring as far as your content goes. Good to know
    I think that one guy was The Tatooed Man.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I suppose this expalins why Hal was on the cover of the issue despite that this was technically a backup story.
    I think sales would be why Hal was on the cover

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I like that it "all comes down to Hal Jordan" and that the Guardians are basically aiming him like a bullet at an ancient enemy but are aligning back toward bureaucracy after this experimental attack is over and asking him to take a back-seat, thus setting up ... rather effortlessly and organically and, frankly, in-character all-round, the next phase of the GL story in the DCU. I'll certainly have more to say as this rounds out and finishes up.
    This is a good point. At least there's a "story reason" for why Hal won't be prominently featured anymore that isn't because something awful happened to him again. Though there's 1 issue left so who knows...
    Last edited by Johnny; 02-10-2021 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think sales would be why Hal was on the cover
    I think you may have a point about that. When was the last time they had an issue where the character in the backup story was on the cover.

Spectacular Member

This is a good point. At least there's a "story reason" for why Hal won't be prominently featured anymore that isn't because something awful happened to him again. Though there's 1 issue left so who knows...
    I wonder if Hal joins Barry's multiverse adventures since Wally is back being the main Flash

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kf26 View Post
    I wonder if Hal joins Barry's multiverse adventures since Wally is back being the main Flash
    Hal has already been out there away from the general DCU for years. So hes way ahead of Barry there.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post

look at the panels beneath hal's arms...

Yep, noticed that too. Seems to be a painfully obvious rush job. I doubt those scribbles are supposed to actually mean something. lol

It's curious though, did they really do this story on such a tight deadline? Alex Sinclair is a great colorist and I don't remember ever seeing something like this from him before.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Yep, noticed that too. Seems to be a painfully obvious rush job. I doubt those scribbles are supposed to actually mean something. lol

It's curious though, did they really do this story on such a tight deadline? Alex Sinclair is a great colorist and I don't remember ever seeing something like this from him before.
    Also Hal doesn't seem to have his ring on, lol.

I guess they pretty quickly wanted to replace Priest on this one.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess they pretty quickly wanted to replace Priest on this one.
    Did I miss something? Was Priest cancelled recently?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    Also Hal doesn't seem to have his ring on, lol.
    I though the ring was powering up the ship's engine?