Page 84 of 298 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894134184 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 4458

I’m not sure Hal should really have an earth vehicle, he can literally fly everywhere. So if he does have a vehicle I would think it would be a show off vehicle like a muscle car or a motorcycle, just something he doesn’t need but that he puts whatever money he may have into just so that it can look cool.

If not that, he needs his own private spaceship. Just some random alien ship he saw out in space he thought looked cool and his pilot instincts couldn’t resist, occasionally he has either Barry (Flash) or Victor(Cyborg) to help supe it up.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

People on the forum have been talking about whether or not Hal as test pilot is outdated, so it's easy enough to transition him to being into all vehicles. It fits with his character to be on the move - he can have vehicles stashed in storage, or at garages where he works on them when he's on earth ... and maybe even a spaceship that he's fixing up, or something so that this would be an extension of him as a pilot rather than pivoting into something else that doesn't fit.

I don’t see why him being a test pilot is outdated, says to me that he takes to flying as he does in when he is Green Lantern and also shows a love for excitement and thrills. The only other job I could see him having is maybe a pilot in an air stunt show but only because I’d imagine he’d pull off some sweet tricks.

But yeah I like the idea that Hal just rents a storage room and in there is his own personal spaceship he tinkers with when he’s got the time. Maybe it’s the one we see in future state.
    Last edited by sifighter; 03-14-2021 at 08:15 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

The Earth One update should be moved to the DC main universe. Hal as an astronaut works. It fills the thrill seeker, love for the latest ships, space and it isn't a 9-5 which Hal wouldn't go for.

Astonishing Member

I don't get why the Hal can't keep a job is such a thing. Secret identities are basically ignored, which is why Thor dumped Don Blake back in the day. No one cares about what heroes do on their down time. Millionaire playboy works for Bruce but I don't know any heroes that could hold down a 9 to 5.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    People on the forum have been talking about whether or not Hal as test pilot is outdated, so it's easy enough to transition him to being into all vehicles. It fits with his character to be on the move - he can have vehicles stashed in storage, or at garages where he works on them when he's on earth ... and maybe even a spaceship that he's fixing up, or something so that this would be an extension of him as a pilot rather than pivoting into something else that doesn't fit.
    Aren't there still test pilots though? Is it all automated now?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Think it's more that's it not really seen as cutting edge anymore as it was in the 50s with the dawn of the Jet Age.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Think it's more that's it not really seen as cutting edge anymore as it was in the 50s with the dawn of the Jet Age.
    Does anyone really have a cutting edge job these days? Reporter, forensic scientist, CEO, detective, etc.

I mean, a job's a job .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Test pilots exist, but even the website for Edwards Air Force base states:
    Contrary to the romanticized view of old Hollywood films, test pilots are not "born" to their talents - they are painstakingly made. Natural ability in the air is necessary, of course, but a delicate touch on the controls and absolute precision on the air are needed - not slapdash bravado.

The test pilot will be following carefully-crafted flight profiles, not daring aerial maneuvers. They must be taught to handle his airplane with extraordinary precision: to control their airspeed to the nearest knot, and their altitude virtually to the foot--every time.
    So the job seems more about careful planning, precision and calculations more than being a rocket-jockey. Not that Hal couldn't still do it, but it doesn't seem to embrace his skill for extemporaneous action.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Test pilots exist, but even the website for Edwards Air Force base states:

So the job seems more about careful planning, precision and calculations more than being a rocket-jockey. Not that Hal couldn't still do it, but it doesn't seem to embrace his skill for extemporaneous action.
    You know, that just shows how great Hal is, he does the careful planning, precision and calculations, but he does it in the moment. From the outside it may look like he is improvising, but he is actually doing the math on his head, think Sherlock Holmes in the Guy Ritchie movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    You know, that just shows how great Hal is, he does the careful planning, precision and calculations, but he does it in the moment. From the outside it may look like he is improvising, but he is actually doing the math on his head, think Sherlock Holmes in the Guy Ritchie movies.
    I’ve often made the statement that Hal comes off as impulsive but really has a highly developed OODA loop cycle. Combined with his selflessness and confidence often appears reckless.
    Visit The Blog of Oa for Green Lantern News, Reviews, Podcasts and more

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrumsey View Post
    I’ve often made the statement that Hal comes off as impulsive but really has a highly developed OODA loop cycle. Combined with his selflessness and confidence often appears reckless.
    I view it similarly to Liam Sharp's interpretation of it that Hal is like a savant whose seemingly simple-minded solutions like giant hands and boxing gloves bely his extraordinary intellect. I don't think Hal is even consciously aware of how fast his brain is working to solve these problems, but rather views it as his "gut instinct"

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I view it similarly to Liam Sharp's interpretation of it that Hal is like a savant whose seemingly simple-minded solutions like giant hands and boxing gloves bely his extraordinary intellect. I don't think Hal is even consciously aware of how fast his brain is working to solve these problems, but rather views it as his "gut instinct"
    It's what Malcolm Gladwell called, "rapid cognition" - that people who are highly trained (put in your 10K hours) have trained their "gut" to able to respond faster than conscious deliberation. Like athletes or anyone with a honed expertise - where "thinking" (or overthinking) only gets in the way of that process.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    wish future writers took that as the book on Hal.