Page 85 of 298 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995135185 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 4458

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It's what Malcolm Gladwell called, "rapid cognition" - that people who are highly trained (put in your 10K hours) have trained their "gut" to able to respond faster than conscious deliberation. Like athletes or anyone with a honed expertise - where "thinking" (or overthinking) only gets in the way of that process.
    Damn, this kind of makes you wonder just what exactly is supposed to be so outdated about this character. Seems like some folks who always label him that way have a rather shallow and primitive understanding of the concept of his character.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Damn, this kind of makes you wonder just what exactly is supposed to be so outdated about this character. Seems like some folks who always label him that way have a rather shallow and primitive understanding of the concept of his character.
    Exactly. Of course the "daring test pilot" image was meant to refer to a specific time U.S. history, but then they fail to see beyond that.

My country was never much into flying so maybe I'm wrong, but test pilots are still a thing, right? Its just that they are less famous now?

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    The Rebellion would've totally loved having Hal aboard.

He kind of reminds me of Poe, come to think of it...

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    My country was never much into flying so maybe I'm wrong, but test pilots are still a thing, right? Its just that they are less famous now?
    Yeah, it's more of a zeitgeist thing. Test pilots didn’t go anywhere but they're no longer the coolest mo-fos on the planet.

In the end, the whole "outdated" idea comes down to really one thing--he's a straight white male hero in a genre that's been dominated by them since their inception.

No one calls hot shot test pilot Carol Danvers outdated because she's a woman. And if John Stewart were also a test pilot, no one would be calling him outdated either.

But there's no point wasting any time or energy getting upset over people who don't care for Hal Jordan or the inconsistent arguments made against him because that's not really something you can control. Trying to convince another person who doesn't like something you like is good has always been a fool's errand

Sometimes, it's just best to smile and let people be wrong...

Extraordinary Member

It makes sense that Hal Jordan is organized chaos incarnate.

In fact, I think he'd be more of a match for the Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post

Well, he'd probably make quick work of anyone in Gotham .

(Flashbacks to Thrones of Atlantis movie where Hal interrupts Batman chasing Scarecrow goons).

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post

I imagine Hal encountering the Joker would end up similar when Terry dealt with the Joker in Batman Beyond.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    Yeah, I could see Hal as a pilot for the Rebellion. Cool artwork!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The Rebellion would've totally loved having Hal aboard.

He kind of reminds me of Poe, come to think of it...
    Hal would be great with the Rogue Squadron.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Yeah, it's more of a zeitgeist thing. Test pilots didn’t go anywhere but they're no longer the coolest mo-fos on the planet.

In the end, the whole "outdated" idea comes down to really one thing--he's a straight white male hero in a genre that's been dominated by them since their inception.

No one calls hot shot test pilot Carol Danvers outdated because she's a woman. And if John Stewart were also a test pilot, no one would be calling him outdated either.

But there's no point wasting any time or energy getting upset over people who don't care for Hal Jordan or the inconsistent arguments made against him because that's not really something you can control. Trying to convince another person who doesn't like something you like is good has always been a fool's errand

Sometimes, it's just best to smile and let people be wrong...
    I agree there's no point, but that doesn't mean it should be ok. How long are these people going to use this character's immutable characteristics against him. Noone calls them out on it and they always have an excuse for it "because there's too many like him". Hal fans don't need to be ok with this kind of attitude just because it's a pointless waste of energy, and those people sure don't seem to find it pointless to keep using his cultural identity against him.
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-16-2021 at 04:11 AM.