Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Lol I think if all the research you have to do to translate a character from comics to screen is "read the wiki page," then someone needs to go back in time and tell that to my high school teachers who never let us cite wikipedia for anything. Bahahaha. Imagine a 15 year old writing about Ethan Frome has to do more work than a Hollywood screenwriter :P

I'm kidding. I know this is facetious but there's still a kernel of truth to it. Like, yeah, comics lore is long, too long to expect writers to know every little thing about every character and plot. That's clear, I get it. But you don't need to read all of the lore to get at the heart of it. There must be some list of "core stories" or even just core panels that writers can look at it to get a better gist of what a character is all about. Like, they made DoFP but changed everything even though DoFP is right there, not difficult to find or read at all - that wasn't "we don't have time to research," that was "we think we know what fans want and it's Wolverine." And I guess maybe they're right. But I'm still gonna be sour about it. Though I guess (le sigh) I have to be fair and admit that we all may not agree about what should make it onto that core list of comics.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnaminion View Post
    Lol I think if all the research you have to do to translate a character from comics to screen is "read the wiki page," then someone needs to go back in time and tell that to my high school teachers who never let us cite wikipedia for anything. Bahahaha. Imagine a 15 year old writing about Ethan Frome has to do more work than a Hollywood screenwriter :P

I'm kidding. I know this is facetious but there's still a kernel of truth to it. Like, yeah, comics lore is long, too long to expect writers to know every little thing about every character and plot. That's clear, I get it. But you don't need to read all of the lore to get at the heart of it. There must be some list of "core stories" or even just core panels that writers can look at it to get a better gist of what a character is all about. Like, they made DoFP but changed everything even though DoFP is right there, not difficult to find or read at all - that wasn't "we don't have time to research," that was "we think we know what fans want and it's Wolverine." And I guess maybe they're right. But I'm still gonna be sour about it. Though I guess (le sigh) I have to be fair and admit that we all may not agree about what should make it onto that core list of comics.
    I’ve also heard of another issue: the writers want to put their own version of the characters/story into the public consciousness. Which in of itself isn’t terrible, everyone wants to make their mark but that could also mean deliberately not looking into anything that came before them. I think there was a rumor or maybe a behind the scenes X2 clip saying that comics were banned on set and Kevin Feige had people sneak them to him.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Proxy View Post
    I’ve also heard of another issue: the writers want to put their own version of the characters/story into the public consciousness. Which in of itself isn’t terrible, everyone wants to make their mark but that could also mean deliberately not looking into anything that came before them. I think there was a rumor or maybe a behind the scenes X2 clip saying that comics were banned on set and Kevin Feige had people sneak them to him.
    Well, I am less kind but I'm pretty sure what I thought was this catchy illness that is happening in modern comic book writing that previous writers didn't seem to suffer from and why modern writers are so damn persistent on doing it and quite frankly I think they should just, I don't know, write their own original characters and comics? And its really that sob story that they cant write their own because the money lies in writing for marvel and DC and I think I'm just going to accept that as an actual answer. Or maybe they are just lazy. Could be.

Also, just to clarify, it wasn't even Kevin Feige at the time because the Marvel/Disney merging never happened yet - it was Bryan Singer who didn't want them to read the comics. Poor Storm, Jubilee etc. It became about the three white guys.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 07-10-2021 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Well, I am less kind but I'm pretty sure what I thought was this catchy illness that is happening in modern comic book writing that previous writers didn't seem to suffer from and why modern writers are so damn persistent on doing it and quite frankly I think they should just, I don't know, write their own original characters and comics? And its really that sob story that they cant write their own because the money lies in writing for marvel and DC and I think I'm just going to accept that as an actual answer. Or maybe they are just lazy. Could be.

Also, just to clarify, it wasn't even Kevin Feige at the time because the Marvel/Disney merging never happened yet - it was Bryan Singer who didn't want them to read the comics. Poor Storm, Jubilee etc. It became about the three white guys.
    Ah okay, thanks for clarifying. I wasn’t sure of the details, only that I had that vague info rattling around in my brain.

Ah okay, thanks for clarifying. I wasn’t sure of the details, only that I had that vague info rattling around in my brain.
    No problem. You're welcome.

Just a scan-spam. I decided the theme should be humor. It can brighten any day I believe.

Kitty getting even with Kurt (and Logan) for all that "tiny terror" teasing made for a pretty good issue. Logan: "She may have pegged me, Kurt, but she skewered you."

Most readers know that Kurt of course didn't come on to Kitty and she is just joking about him being girl-crazy. Not sexual teasing of course who would think it? As if not reading comics was the only problem.

Last edited by From The Shadows; 07-13-2021 at 09:36 AM.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Just a scan-spam. I decided the theme should be humor. It can brighten any day I believe.

Kitty getting even with Kurt (and Logan) for all that "tiny terror" teasing made for a pretty good issue. Logan: "She may have pegged me, Kurt, but she skewered you."

Most readers know that Kurt of course didn't come on to Kitty and she is just joking about him being girl-crazy. Not sexual teasing of course who would think it? As if not reading comics was the only problem.

Ah, I loved that Power Man/Iron Fist comic, the first time Byrne got to draw the team, if I recall.

I was in the mood to draw Elf tonight.

A302F606-2B61-4DE3-9E44-E889861AD803.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    Ah, I loved that Power Man/Iron Fist comic, the first time Byrne got to draw the team, if I recall.

I was in the mood to draw Elf tonight.

A302F606-2B61-4DE3-9E44-E889861AD803.jpg
    I usually don't imagine Nightcrawler as hairy like that though he has some fine peach fuzz some where. He has always been drawn as having blue skin and I think the hair was added later by Patty's suggestion. I always though it was his hair before and why they called him "fuzzy."

I usually don't imagine Nightcrawler as hairy like that though he has some fine peach fuzz some where. He has always been drawn as having blue skin and I think the hair was added later by Patty's suggestion. I always though it was his hair before and why they called him "fuzzy."
    Mm. I like drawing him fuzzy.

Here he is with his best friend.

3A004B33-E7D8-416C-A1C8-FA1F9F24E94B.jpg

I missed this bit.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 07-16-2021 at 06:55 PM.

Attachment 110416
    (from Excalibur 21)

Nightcrawler reveals a new secret power! Baby Detection
    Just to dismantle these rumors: This is not a blonde haired Pixie! Its Meggan Kurt is kissing the hand of, and her husband and must I specify its Brian? Those are obviously fake wings she is wearing for the gala.

Just to dismantle these rumors: This is not a blonde haired Pixie! Its Meggan Kurt is kissing the hand of, and her husband and must I specify its Brian? Those are obviously fake wings she is wearing for the gala.
    Wuh? Of course it’s Meggan and Brian! Are people saying otherwise?

Wuh? Of course it’s Meggan and Brian! Are people saying otherwise?
    Yes! They are! It's some low brow humor. Twitter.

This panel made me smile. Yes, it’s Kurt acting the fool, but clowning would have been his first stage work in the circus and this is a very Kurt way to diffuse the situation.

E37D158A-0791-410E-A4FE-2AD181BC6EF5.jpg

Incredible Member Agatha's Ghost's Avatar

I hope you all realize that Nightcrawler murdered Wanda. The bruise on her neck shows that the killer only had six fingers.