Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

From Bob Quinn’s Twitter.
    Kurt is not amused.
    A1BDF456-A332-465B-BC29-11B4B3A689AB.jpg

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    Kurt’s been having casual, premarital sex for 46 years now, so being prudish is a very strange character beat to write.
    They are still insistent on his movie and TAS portrayals I think. Some writers even admit to being introduced through them and even after reading his more accurate comic portrayals, it just got permanently stuck in the long run. *Sigh* If they want to keep pointing out his religion through CC and go around in a circular argument for all of eternity I rather they be gone from this planet instead. He still wasn't the character they wanted. Its the same if they want to make him some lapsed Catholic.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 07-05-2021 at 08:39 PM.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    ^^^ so who is the red woman? What was she about, back then?
    Are we talking about the space girl he dated for a while? Or the above photo with Stacy X?

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    From Bob Quinn’s Twitter.
    Kurt is not amused.
    A1BDF456-A332-465B-BC29-11B4B3A689AB.jpg
    Its nice to see Kurt pissed but hopefully he doesn't come off as a *inserts usual role.*

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    ^^^ so who is the red woman? What was she about, back then?
    I have no idea who this Red Woman is at all. Can someone point the way?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Are we talking about the space girl he dated for a while? Or the above photo with Stacy X?
    The space girl was Cerise.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 07-07-2021 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    They are still insistent on his movie and TAS portrayals I think. Some writers even admit to being introduced through them and even after reading his more accurate comic portrayals, it just got permanently stuck in the long run.
    That depresses me so much

Quote Originally Posted by cinnaminion View Post
    That depresses me so much
    I think in the case of Way of X, Spurrier genuinely thinks Kurt’s an ordained priest. He referred to him as such in a podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Proxy View Post
    I think in the case of Way of X, Spurrier genuinely thinks Kurt’s an ordained priest. He referred to him as such in a podcast.
    Not just Spurrier, Hickman’s done it too.
    It’s frustrating.

I have absolutely no interest in film Kurt, animation Kurt, game Kurt (same for any characters). I understand that other media may raise the characters profile, but comics canon should trump anything other incarnation of the character l

I utterly loathe the scars on film Kurt, the idea that our gentle, good humoured, well nurtured soul could be so disturbed, so traumatised, to carve scars into his flesh, completely horrifies me.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

So apparently Way of the X four is going to cover the Trial of magneto. And I thought that Aaron got the idea of him being religious without being like a Priest. Which if we're going to go that route, it's a Deacon for him since he wasn't ordained officially. Thing though is that certain media does get Kurt, and I'm sure that Marvel, once they bring the X-men in, are not going to have Kurt with scars. If any scars would be on him that would be from falls and the like from his time in the circus. My guess is we're going to see some stuff with the Multiverse of Madness to indicate that there are Mutants around in Marvel, and that the MCU version of Kurt is going to be different then the Fox version of Kurt.

Of note, I've never known Kurt to drink so much that he has a hang over. I really think they put him in this role because he's the most "Religious" of the group.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    So apparently Way of the X four is going to cover the Trial of magneto. And I thought that Aaron got the idea of him being religious without being like a Priest. Which if we're going to go that route, it's a Deacon for him since he wasn't ordained officially. Thing though is that certain media does get Kurt, and I'm sure that Marvel, once they bring the X-men in, are not going to have Kurt with scars. If any scars would be on him that would be from falls and the like from his time in the circus. My guess is we're going to see some stuff with the Multiverse of Madness to indicate that there are Mutants around in Marvel, and that the MCU version of Kurt is going to be different then the Fox version of Kurt.

Of note, I've never known Kurt to drink so much that he has a hang over. I really think they put him in this role because he's the most "Religious" of the group.
    I agree that he’s been given the role in Way of X because he’s the most religious. But I think we’ve seen him hungover before, usually though he’s getting drunk socially in company of good friends (usually Logan)

I agree that he’s been given the role in Way of X because he’s the most religious. But I think we’ve seen him hungover before, usually though he’s getting drunk socially in company of good friends (usually Logan)
    He’s not usually drinking gin, beer has been his booze of choice.
    But, given the aftermath of the Gala, it’s looking as though him being blind drink and passes out may be a plot point for the Trial of Magneto

I do like Alan Cumming's Nightcrawler - he's just not my Nightcrawler. That's what I take issue with. I don't dislike the more recent Nightcrawler in the films either, I just don't get him. He's so young and awkward yet cheerful - again, it's not my Nightcrawler, but I could get on board with him the same as I did with Cumming if it seemed like they had an actual direction for him. Instead his character arc feels like an afterthought, something shoehorned in to justify that he's there at all. But hey, at least he didn't get Jubilee treatment? At least he made the cut to be in the films at all? lol

Either way I just don't want either of them replacing comic-verse Nightcrawler and I don't get why that would be a thing that would happen. Do non-comics-minded people really relate so much better to the way he's portrayed in film? I mean, for me, coming to comics from Cumming's Crawler and X-Evo Crawler, I was surprised by the differences when I started reading the classic issues, but all that happened was I ended up liking him so much better. He was more enjoyable and more complex in the comics.

And it's not a bad thing to be a priest, it's just like, please do it in a way that doesn't run contrary to what's already part of the character. You know, how he is in WoX #3 kind of makes me think of Father Mulcahy on MASH. I looove Mulcahy, the sweet, awkward priest who boxes for fun and occasionally loses his temper and is more useful as a religious figure when he doesn't know what to do than when he's reciting his priestly lines... I love him, but I don't think something like that suits Kurt lol. Maaaybe somewhat many years ago... and I wonder if the justification is that by coming to Krakoa they've all been physically de-aged to 19 or something?? and what if that's mental regression too??? Obvs that's not the cause but. I'm desperately trying to make this make sense in my head lol.

All that being said tho, I really like Nightcrawler in WoX besides the religious/morality angle. I think he's quite fun and interesting. The interlude with the sexually enlightened Stacy X threw me for a loop but I'm hanging in there.

And yet I heard his interview and was happy that he mentioned that he doesn't see Kurt as the religious guy? Did he change his plans or was that interview just old?

What do you think about Kurt getting hit by Stacy X? And did Kurt just have to say something nasty to get hit? Not that thats an excuse. What happened to Claremonts work on Stacy? She reminds me of Maddie here.

I almost cringed at Kurt going on about Stacy bringing her pheromones to such a sacred place. Maybe it was just the words?
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 07-09-2021 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    And yet I heard his interview and was happy that he mentioned that he doesn't see Kurt as the religious guy? Did he change his plans or was that interview just old?

What do you think about Kurt getting hit by Stacy X? And did Kurt just have to say something nasty to get hit? Not that thats an excuse. What happened to Claremonts work on Stacy? She reminds me of Maddie here.

I almost cringed at Kurt going on about Stacy bringing her pheromones to such a scared place. Maybe it was just the words?
    My first reaction to the kurt/Stacy interaction was rage. There was much better ways for the two of them to have a discussion about the issues other than Kurt being portrayed as a virginal catholic boy taking his first steps out of a monastery and Stacy brow beating him and being sanctimonious. Kurt’s dialgoue feels way off character to me, and Stacy clearly has good intentions but the execution of this message was terrible.

The religious element is really starting to bug me. Spurrier keeps insisting he doesn’t want to make this about religion, but all Kurt seems to be in this book is religious and every single issue we have had someone take a jab at his faith.

After Way of X 3 I’ve stopped buying the book. Maybe things will change, maybe Way of X 4 will be better and not push my buttons but from the previews coming out, I’m not hopeful.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnaminion View Post
    I do like Alan Cumming's Nightcrawler - he's just not my Nightcrawler. That's what I take issue with. I don't dislike the more recent Nightcrawler in the films either, I just don't get him. He's so young and awkward yet cheerful - again, it's not my Nightcrawler, but I could get on board with him the same as I did with Cumming if it seemed like they had an actual direction for him. Instead his character arc feels like an afterthought, something shoehorned in to justify that he's there at all. But hey, at least he didn't get Jubilee treatment? At least he made the cut to be in the films at all? lol

Either way I just don't want either of them replacing comic-verse Nightcrawler and I don't get why that would be a thing that would happen. Do non-comics-minded people really relate so much better to the way he's portrayed in film? I mean, for me, coming to comics from Cumming's Crawler and X-Evo Crawler, I was surprised by the differences when I started reading the classic issues, but all that happened was I ended up liking him so much better. He was more enjoyable and more complex in the comics.

And it's not a bad thing to be a priest, it's just like, please do it in a way that doesn't run contrary to what's already part of the character. You know, how he is in WoX #3 kind of makes me think of Father Mulcahy on MASH. I looove Mulcahy, the sweet, awkward priest who boxes for fun and occasionally loses his temper and is more useful as a religious figure when he doesn't know what to do than when he's reciting his priestly lines... I love him, but I don't think something like that suits Kurt lol. Maaaybe somewhat many years ago... and I wonder if the justification is that by coming to Krakoa they've all been physically de-aged to 19 or something?? and what if that's mental regression too??? Obvs that's not the cause but. I'm desperately trying to make this make sense in my head lol.

All that being said tho, I really like Nightcrawler in WoX besides the religious/morality angle. I think he's quite fun and interesting. The interlude with the sexually enlightened Stacy X threw me for a loop but I'm hanging in there.
    I think the way Nightcrawlers portrayed in movies is more of a Hollywood problem. Most of the people involved in the movies haven’t read the comics and their knowledge of the characters come off the wiki pages, the MCU are no different. The wandavision director didn’t know who Mephisto was when making the show and that wouldn’t have taken that much research into Wanda’s comic history. I’m sort of worried about Nightcrawler being in the MCU because it’s more likely that this version of him will stick around longer and i don’t really trust them to give us a Nightcrawler that fans recognise.

I didn’t mind the movie portrayals but they were also not ‘my’ Nightcrawler. Maybe it’s the mental gymnastics i did when watching these movies but i didn’t mind the Alan Cumming kurt too much, even the scars because i thought ‘well the guy has been tortured by Stryker and probably forced to see himself murder people (the president can’t have been the first test run) so I can sort of get my head around him wanting to punish himself in his mentally vulnerable state. (I don’t think comic kurt would do it ever!). And we sort of had a glimpse of a more charismatic kurt with Logan in the x-jet but then he wasn’t in any other movie so that led to whole lot of nothing.

I don’t think there is any reason for kodi Kurt to have scars, all i could think of was one: Hollywood didn’t do there homework again and said we’ll just use the existing design, or two: my head cannon suggested this kurt was born with those markings, which isn’t too much of stretch to me considering movie mystique has scales/markings. I am also a little lenient on this characterization because he is young and it appears that he is taken straight from the circus to his first cage fight so he’ll know very little of the outside world. (Incidentally kurt you should probably call your family and tell them you’re not dead).
    Last edited by Proxy; 07-09-2021 at 04:31 PM.

But we did get an awesome opening scene with 'Crawler but sadly in the long run it did not prove that he could be a badass to some insipid Azazel fans from the films but a guy who had to be brainwashed to do all of Zazzy's moves and I have to laugh because this barely used joke (Azazel) was nothing but a cheeseball and he barely had any fighting ability if any.