• Mr. Terrific

24 34.78%
  • Other (No Hall of Famers)

18 26.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Fans Rally for a #BlackCanaryHBOSeries, Starring Jurnee Smollett
    On Dinah Laurel Lance's birthday, DC fans ask HBO for a Black Canary series starring Jurnee Smollett, causing #BlackCanaryHBOSeries to trend online.
    https://www.cbr.com/fans-rally-for-a...rnee-smollett/

Upcoming dc series with black leads list below.

1-Naomi

2-Untitled Gotham City Police Department series
    HBO Max's Batman Spinoff Isn't Gotham Central, May Center on James Gordon
    "They're making sure that they don't call it Gotham Central and it's more of a spinoff from the movie. It's like, 'The James Gordon Show,'" Brubaker added.
    https://www.cbr.com/hbo-max-batman-s...otham-central/

3-Green Lantern
    Green Lantern: HBO Max Series Reportedly Casting Black Woman as New Main Character
    https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/...tedly-casting/

4-DMZ
    Rosario Dawson as Alma
    Last edited by mace11; 05-28-2021 at 08:12 PM.

BANNED

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I disagree. i think because he's such a strong actor he'd have the chance to really shape and grow Painkiller more than he could a Steel or a Wise-Son or any other "bigger" character; which is relative given how small most of DC's black characters are compared to their contemporaries. DC could use more prominent black properties, they could definitely use more black anti-heroes, and having one that's a solo lead emerge as a spin-off from Black Lightning would've been a great way to build BL's brand and family of characters. I hope DC honors this show's legacy and at least start canonizing these takes on the characters and other elements from the show. no matter how you feel, it was far and away one of if not the best "run" on Black Lightning DC's ever put out.
    I think Freeland is overall better for Jefferson than Suicide Slum is, and I don't just say that as a Superman fan. Setting him in Metropolis essentially puts a glass ceiling over him. Get into Superman's realm and you've successfully had Jefferson leave what made his setting unique, and it requires that Superman also exist but not in a way that really makes no sense and requires explanations that help nobody. Suicide Slum requires Jefferson never really graduate to the Justice League, Outsiders or much of anything because then you have him become what it frames Superman as-- aloof, busy with bigger things. It just doesn't do anything for Jefferson that giving him his own city to protect that can morph around his needs as a protagonist doesn't do better for him.

Jefferson's role in DC is that of someone who eventually joins the Outsiders, sometimes Justice League and one-time Presidential cabinet member. You can't really sell him as someone fighting a gang on the streets of his city and angry at absent authority figures at that point because now he bumps elbows with them. Freeland very neatly handles that by making him the top dog of his city, and making the problem systemic as opposed to "well space Jesus doesn't care about us," and thus something you can't just make irrelevant or force Jefferson into becoming complicit in by virtue of the ever scaling nature of superhero comics.

Moreover, his becoming an Outsider (arguably the most prominent one alongside Tatsu) has made him far more Batman adjacent and his ties to Metropolis continue to become more tenuous at best. The CW show, warts and all, is still one of the strongest takes on Black Lightning I've experienced and I wouldn't mind elements from it being adapted back into the source. I liked Gambi being alive, for example, even if I would prefer his tech footprint be downplayed and more of his resourcefulness be given to Jefferson, but that's more a CW thing of adding supporting cast at the cost of protagonist agency.

As for Painkiller? That character is Jordan Calloway in the way that Robert Downey Jr. is Iron Man for a generation. I don't know anybody on this board or the next who cared about that character prior and he pretty much gave him life and an identity. If that character has a future, it's going to be based on his performance, and it would be foolish of DC not to try and capitalize on him in a Black Lightning project in the near future. Possibly in a solo thing, but that's a hard sell right now. Hell, Cress played Jefferson wonderfully and I don't know who could do a better job. Like Calloway, he's pretty much the model for his character in live action and for good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Stunning.
    Last edited by Robanker; 06-04-2021 at 10:34 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Batgirl: In the Heights' Leslie Grace to Play Barbara Gordon in HBO Max Film
    In the Heights' Leslie Grace will play Barbara Gordon for Warner Bros. and DC Films' Batgirl movie, which will premiere on HBO Max.

https://www.cbr.com/hbo-max-batgirl-...arbara-gordon/

The Other History of the DC Universe #5 Preview (Lettered)
    Writer: John Ridley
    Artists: Giuseppe Camuncoli and Andrea Cucchi

Last edited by Agent Z; 07-23-2021 at 10:13 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Superman: Michael B. Jordan Working on HBO Max Project, May Star
    Michael B. Jordan and his production company Outlier Society are developing a Val-Zod-centric Superman project for HBO Max.

Black Panther star Michael B. Jordan is developing a Superman limited series for HBO Max in which he may star as Val-Zod.
    https://www.cbr.com/hbo-max-superman...l-zod-project/

Mighty Member

No one is gonna do a review discussion thread for Icon and rocket #1?

Incredible Member

After reading the Anissa story in the other history it occurred to me that not having her or her sister on the teen titans is a missed opportunity. Granted the titans are not as good as they once were surely the recognition is enough. Maybe they didn't want to replace Bumblebee, even though she's pretty nonexistent.

Also I know there has been some talks of giving black vulcans power levels to black lightning, but what about giving it to Jennifer if not him? Which brings me to another question.

Even though the diverse relationship characters of the superfriends don't exist in the DC universe, maybe Hannah Barbara owns them or maybe they do show up, do you think it would been better to drop Black Lightning and focus on Black Vulcan with all the beef DC had with Isabella or vice versa? Been watching this game called infamous and I can only imagine if Black Lightning was popular he could have a game like that. Especially Lightning powers are my favorite powers.
    Last edited by Shockingjustice; 07-29-2021 at 07:45 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    No one is gonna do a review discussion thread for Icon and rocket #1?
    I thought it was alright, but it's pretty much a retread of the first issue of the old comic with minor changes to Icons origin. I feel like we'll have to wait a couple issues on it. Static's comics is already different from his old one.

Extraordinary Member

The Suicide Squad (film) 2021

Some of reviews are saying Margot Robbie as Dr. Harleen Quinzel / Harley Quinn is not in the film as much,so that would mean Idris Elba as Robert DuBois / Bloodsport is the main main lead for The Suicide Squad (film) 2021.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post

Harvard Graduate in Neurobiology. Super Athlete. Very marketable looks.

if you could put together a team of black heroes (and they have to have a reason or niche form why their together other than/in addition to being black), what would your team look like?

the idea has been popping up in my head lately
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Ultimate Member

if you could put together a team of black heroes (and they have to have a reason or niche form why their together other than/in addition to being black), what would your team look like?

When white folks do it-nobody questions it.

If they must have a reason-to do and deal with the stuff white folks tend to ignore. Not always by choice mind you.

https://www.deviantart.com/skyvolt20...rica-849717092

The team-
    Bronze Tiger (with Bronze Cub-it seems Bronze Tiger has a nephew named Ben), Virtue (The Movement), Jog (Suicide Squad), Bloodwynd and Northwind.
    Second Row
    Cyborg with side kick Exxy, Hotspot, Kalel (Superman), Nubia (WW), Jason Rusch (Firestorm), John Stewart, Vixen, Black Lightning

Lets look at what some of them do-off the top of my head...

Kalel (Calvin Ellis) is President of the USA. It does not get bigger than that.
    Nubia probably in charge of the Amazons while the Queen is away.
    Cyborg has world wide web under lock and Exxy is a rapper that travels (which allows for under cover antics if needed)
    John is architect
    Vixen has her modeling agency that allows her to travel everywhere (under cover too)
    Black Lightening-teacher/principal-as a principal he has access to stuff (state wise) that others don't. Hard to really explain.
    Virtue-daughter of a cop-so she could and should have an understanding of police tactics and policies.
    Jog is the son of a New God
    Ben Junior, Hostpot and Jason are still school age and can do undercover stuff on certain cases.

I would probably make a case to add Mr Terrific, Duke, Green Lantern Jo and a few others.

BANNED

There are three ways to bring together a team like this in the way you're looking for.

1. They're brought together by someone who wants to work with them (like Red Lion), by someone who's a fan (like Mr. Mxyzptlk), or by a common enemy who may want something from all of them for some reason (like a Monitor).

2. There's a MacGuffin that brings them all together, like a totem connected to the life web.

3. They all have a mutual friend who they want to mourn or celebrate, and then they're called on the same adventure because they all happen to be in the same place.

BANNED

Tim Burton set up Billy Dee Williams to play Two-Face, and his first choice to play Robin was Marlon Wayans, who still gets residuals from his Batman contract.

DC is staying true to Burton's original vision for his 3rd Batman film in Batman '89. I kind of wish I could watch this in live-action, but this will have to do!